PDA

View Full Version : For Our Vets - Remembered

histed
06-03-2014, 08:47 PM
I just read chsparkman's thread and didn't what to hijack that, so ... I, too, teach kids. About 200 10th and 11th graders, both US and World (European) history. Every year our school celebrated Veteran's Day on 11/11 with a ceremony outside, including a 21 gun salute by our vets. Usually the kids gripe about the cold and remember little else. This year a lot of my kids asked why we did this (Since I hadn't taught WWI in world history at that time) so we talked about it. One of our teachers had just returned from Afghanistan, another was being deployed, so they seemed to get the idea. Through the year we talked often about vets and the price of freedom. Last week we talked about Memorial Day. All of that for this.

I'll keep this short. I had challenged my kids to thank a vet - any vet - they spotted in a public place. Just a simple "Thank you for your service" to show that they understood the service was for them - the kids. One young man (my 'problem child') came back on Tuesday with a story of thanking a WWII vet in a restaurant and being surprised at the emotion his short sentence brought. Another young lady approached a Vietnam vet where she worked and ended up crying with him as he told her of losing his brother.The stories are on going. The kids have discovered a whole new way to study history and put faces with the events. For a large group, this seems to be a mission now - to let the "guys" know that THEY know and appreciate the sacrifice. So, if you're in Central PA and young teen walks up to shake your hand and say thanks, take a moment and share something with them. They really do care.

06-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Wonderful idea. Thank you, sir.

nagantguy
06-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Thank you fer telling the young un's. I didn't serve so some day someone would thank me. But this year when my 9 year old did at the memorial parade I got all misted up, something in my eye of course. I know she knows about the price of freedom but later we ran into a class mate of her's and also got a thank you. Yes young folks with manners good sense and good parents!!! What's this world coming to. Any how your a good man for tea thing those young ones a hard job my wife is a educator and its pretty thank less.

Hickory
06-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Good teachers do more than teach, they teach those assigned to them to think, to be aware and to perceive thing unseen.
Soldiers, for the most part are unselfish people, who will risk all, so that those alive and unborn can have the freedom they enjoy.
Good teachers should be thanked also.

histed
06-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Appreciate the complements, but, like our service men and women, we don't do it for the recognition. Cannot imagine doing anything else. And my heartfelt thanks to one and all for allowing me this opportunity.

scarry scarney
06-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Histed

Thank you.

DCP
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
What a great idea

Thank you so much

Balduran
06-04-2014, 06:57 PM
I had a pile of dust come down from the ceiling and land in my eyes while reading the first post, read it again and the same damn thing happened.
Wish there were more teachers like you my friend.

histed
06-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Balduran - there are more than you think - at least in this area

popper
06-11-2014, 02:43 PM
And then tell them to get rid of these blood suckers.
http://www.openthebooks.com/search/?PensionCode=840&F_fiscalyear=2013&F_Station=Phoenix&F_Name=&perpage=100
That's just Az, Dallas is just as bad!

trapper9260
06-16-2014, 07:14 AM
That is a good Idea and I have some that thank me. but I did not think I done anything ,no matter i did serve and was in some things when I was in. But that is how I feel.