PDA

View Full Version : Proud Teacher

chsparkman
06-03-2014, 08:12 PM
I am a math teacher at Stonewall Jackson High School in Manassas, VA. In May we took our IB exams and I'm always in a quandary as to what my seniors should do when they're done. This year I proposed that we should do something for active military or veterans. They came up with several ideas. They have worked hard on the project and this week over 200 letters will be sent to young servicemen/women, several care packages will go to a unit in Afghanistan, and over $1000 will be sent to the USO's Operation Enduring Care.

I couldn't be more proud of these high school kids! They'll be graduating on June 10.

histed
06-03-2014, 08:24 PM
I know the feeling. I teach history at East Juniata High School in central PA. Every year our student council holds a "Holly Jolly Teacher" contest. Every teacher picks a charity and the kids vote with their change. Highest teacher donated everything to his/her charity. This year the kids chose "Wounded Warrior" with their funds, then sent cards along for Christmas.

BTW - wish I could meet yours. Sound like a great bunch!

chsparkman
06-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Indeed they are. I'm just beside myself.

06-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Care packages have a tendency to brighten a military man/woman's day. Homemade cookies were favorites, and didn't last long as they were always shared with buddies.

Thank you, sir, and all of your students.

Moonie
06-03-2014, 09:16 PM
As the father of a young Marine that just returned home 2 weeks ago I thank you. This means more to them than you know.

richhodg66
06-03-2014, 09:19 PM
I just finished my second year teaching high schoolers (JROTC) and have to admit that the youth of America isn't quite the doom and gloom many of us think it is. There are still some darn good kids out there who think higher than just themselves.

wv109323
06-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Good to hear a positive report about our youth and our education system.

Dryball
06-04-2014, 12:48 AM
That's a great story. +1 on the doom and gloom comment...THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE. Both my parents were teachers for 40+ years when they retired and I know, first hand, you don't get the recognition you deserve. You are, a lot of times, these kids' friends, parents...their hope. You are the builders of our future...thank you!