PDA

View Full Version : Acknowledging Reality

Pages : [1] 2

theperfessor
06-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Saw Doctor yesterday. The cavity inside my left heel is not healing, it is getting bigger. I have to acknowledge the reality of the situation. I am nauseous from taking antibiotics, my pain level has gone up, and now I'm bleeding more and more. Time to end this. I have to see Doctor again in three weeks, we both agreed that if there isn't significant improvement by then that we will schedule an amputation. He is running about three weeks behind, so six or seven weeks from now I could have the operation.

He says surgery would take 1-2 hours, then 3-5 days in hospital. Normally folks would go to rehab for a while but he will send me directly home since I have proved to him I can use a walker and one leg to get around. I can also get wheelchair for rental for a while. Several months of home nursing care plus the excellent care I get from wife and I will be ready for fitting of prosthesis. Doctor claims I could be walking in three months and would barely notice it in six.

Found out I have enough sick leave to take the Fall off and since I am retiring this year and would get a free sabbatical semester in Spring anyway. End result is that I will never have to go back to work at University. I will get full salary until end of next July. And I may get a little better pension if I retire under a medical disability, plan to talk to HR folks Friday about that.

I've been training nephew to run machine tools, by the time I go under knife I should have a good inventory of standard items and hopefully can get him to make nose/top punches.

If all goes well I plan to buy Haas CNC mill in Spring, a year from now I could be in real good shape both physically and commercially, and have a well trained assistant I can count on.

I've been wanting to do another lead hammer site benefit sale, but I haven't felt good enough to do it. Maybe next Spring.

No regrets, no sorrow, I'm really looking forward to ending this part of my life and moving on to something better and far more satisfying.

square butte
06-03-2014, 05:12 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers sir.

bayjoe
06-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Hope the best for you. That's a tough decision but it sounds like you have a really good attitude.

Polecat
06-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a plan tough times come and go but tough people stay. best wishes hang in there.

Walter Laich
06-03-2014, 05:17 PM
All the best. You'll be in my prayers
walt

Larry Gibson
06-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Take care of yourself first. We'll be waiting and praying for you.

Larry Gibson

JSnover
06-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Best of luck. This is not something I would wish upon anyone but it sounds like the timing is as good as one could hope for.

theperfessor
06-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah, get to watch the NFL several times a week in Fall.

blackthorn
06-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Best of luck to you!

Pilgrim Sojourner
06-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Your attitude and outlook are exemplary. I will be praying for your recovery as well. God bless.

DLCTEX
06-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I will keep you on my prayer list Keith. Hang in there brother.

mold maker
06-03-2014, 06:02 PM
That's discomforting news to say the least. If it's Gods will, I know you will make the best of it.
You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hamish
06-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Hammer down and never look back! More power to ya!!

fastfire
06-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Prayers sent, best to ya speedy recovery!

xs11jack
06-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Prayers for you, Sir.
Ole Jack

chsparkman
06-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a tough road ahead, but you seem like a tough guy. All the best.

BNE
06-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I am sorry to hear this. I will pray for a clear decision.

If you do have the surgery, may I suggest a "Knee Scooter"?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M466YY/ref=asc_df_B004M466YY3156309?smid=AALQOSLYKJPH9&tag=pgmptvs-1500-86-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395133&creativeASIN=B004M466YY

I had ankle surgery a few years ago and was prescribed one of these. It beat the SNOT out of crutches. I was able to work just like normal while I recovered. I did not use this brand, but it was the first one I could find on a Google search. My doctor prescribed them to me just like crutches.

Again, I'm sorry to hear. It must be frustrating.

tomme boy
06-03-2014, 08:36 PM
I have to be careful about this same thing because of my diabetes. One thing I have never talked to anyone about the sores not healing. If they have to go to the extreme of taking the foot, how will that heal? If the sore will not how is this going to? I want to gain as much knowledge as I can if I have to have the same in the future. I have already noticed that sores and cuts take a lot longer to heal.

I hope everything goes well for you.

06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Keith,
You've made a courageous and very difficult decision. May you have a speedy recovery process and the end result be better than expected. All the best to you, sir.

btroj
06-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Keith, I admire your ability to stare reality in the eye and take everything it can give.

Keep positive, do what the MD instructs, and get well.

Your positive attitude in the face of major medical problems is an inspiration. I admire you for your ability to keep going despite what life throws at you.

**oneshot**
06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Sorry to hear the news. It is good to hear that you seem mentally prepared for the next step. Keep us posted and take the time to heal yourself.

John 242
06-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Keith, I admire your ability to stare reality in the eye and take everything it can give.

Keep positive, do what the MD instructs, and get well.

Your positive attitude in the face of major medical problems is an inspiration. I admire you for your ability to keep going despite what life throws at you.

Agree with this one-hundred percent.
One of our NCOs lost both legs to an EFP in Baghdad. He put on his own tourniquets and called in his own medevac. Your attitude reminds me of of that.

http://gazingattheflag.blogspot.com/2007/01/wounded-warrior-master-sgt-daniel.html

He didn't let the loss of his legs stop him. He stayed in the Army and even competed in a triathlon. Third picture in is MSG Robles.
http://www.army.mil/article/9485/Wounded_warriors_tough_out_triathlon/

Your "can do" attitude is an inspiration.

theperfessor
06-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Tomme, my predicament is a direct consequence of diabetes. I have been insulin dependent for 30+ years, neuropathy has killed most of the sensations from my feet. I could not feel the infected/necrotic area, and since I had a blocked femoral artery in my left leg I was not getting enough blood flow to prevent the infection. Last October I had the artery bypassed so now I have much better blood flow to my foot. And the wound on the side of my foot is almost healed. But the wound in the center of my heel has so much damaged and missing tissue that it just can't seem to regrow.

The blood flow to my foot is much improved, and I'm in better general health now than I was last year, so I don't think I will have any trouble recovering from a clean surgery on undamaged tissue. I had five neck vertebra cracked open last summer and was back at work in five weeks. I had femoral artery surgery in October and that healed quite nicely as well. I've had other surgeries and seem to recover quickly and with minimal need for pain meds. I'm not a tough guy, if I needed them I would take them, but if I can usually deal with most residual pain three days after surgery.

It's a good idea to inspect your feet thoroughly, especially if you can't feel much. I know I did; the problem is that I couldn't see the center of my heel. I could check my toes, and look for blisters and such, but not where the trouble began. By the time my podiatrist checked out the "squooshy area" in my heel I had a ping pong size area of damaged, necrotic tissue underneath the callous. And it hasn't substantially improved since October.

My Doctor says that the max rate of healing is when your blood sugar is 85-135. I know I heal faster when I keep my blood sugar under control. I have worked out my insulin to use two different types, a fast acting short term type (Humalog) and a long term slow release type (Levemir). I can deal with and usually prevent high blood sugar by checking my blood sugar often and taking small doses (2-4 units) of Humalog when it gets too high for too long. I can usually control my diet and I don't binge eat but ever so often some things just make my blood sugar spike.

Take care of yourself Tomme.

theperfessor
06-03-2014, 09:52 PM
No offense to anyone, but in my mind NOBODY can be compared to the living heroes in the armed forces of this country that have been injured while serving honorably. I will not put myself in that category. If anything I will be the beneficiary of what the medical community has learned from this country's heroes from the Civil War until now.

Again, no offense intended to anyone, there are real proven heroes in this country, I'm not one of them, I'm just a guy with a bad foot making the best decision I can make under the circumstances.

btroj
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
But you are handling this with class and dignity. That is admirable in an era where many would be playing the victim card and demanding sympathy.

It is how we handle adversity that tells the most about us.

John 242
06-03-2014, 10:01 PM
But you are handling this with class and dignity. That is admirable in an era where many would be playing the victim card and demanding sympathy.

It is how we handle adversity that tells the most about us.

Exactly.

wv109323
06-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Keep up the positive attitude and I will say a prayer.

theperfessor
06-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I hope that I don't come across as some sort of medical drama queen here. I hope that sharing my experiences might help somebody to NOT go through what I've been going through. Diabetes is becoming increasingly common in our aging population, knowing how to deal with it may keep you alive a lot longer.

popper
06-03-2014, 10:15 PM
We understand but you do needs those who care to help you in your situation. Prayers that all goes well for you.

Elkins45
06-03-2014, 10:17 PM
My Dad lost his left leg above the knee in Korea. I never knew him with both legs because it happened 11 years before I was born. I was fairly old before I knew there was something 'odd' about him because he seemed to function just as well as everybody else's dad. When he needed a septic system but couldn't afford the labor he dug a hole with a shovel and made one from block he laid himself, and he built our barn essentially singlehandedly. I remember him for being many things, but being "handicapped" isn't one of them.

There are worse things in life that missing part of a foot, and based on your attitude I suspect you are made out of the same sort of stuff my old man was. I imagine you'll do fine.

theperfessor
06-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Yes, I'm VERY grateful for the outpouring of support I've gotten from both my "electronic" friends here and the "corporeal" friends and family I have around me. And my wife has done a terrific job of supporting me. It would be nice to recover so I can get back to doing a lot of the domestic tasks I used to do, like cooking most of our meals. She has to do it all now.

I feel like I've leaned on my friends and family long enough, I'm ready to start contributing to society again. I would really like to do a lead hammer sale next year as a site benefit. It's been a couple of years now, it's about time. And I'd like to do it on my own equipment.

But I have to get well first, that's job #1.

uncle joe
06-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Pray, and as others have said, take care of yourself before time. For a boost (I hope) there is a little man that lives near me, looks to be a little older than you in your profile pic; he does dirt work with some old equipment and an antique dump truck. This little fellow stepped up on the deck of a bush hog with it running and went through. You can imagine what happened, I don't think he missed a beat, he got a prosthetic foot and walks around now as good as he ever did. Keep your spirits up and pray. Get plenty of exercise in rehab.

ga41
06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
prayers for a speedy uneventful recovery, thanks for putting things into perspective, we all need that from time to time

tward
06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Keith, sorry to hear of your troubles, you are in my prayers! Keep up the great attitude! Lots of luck and prayers to you. Tim

Lee
06-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Prayers. Explore all options. .... Lee

smoked turkey
06-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Keith I also admire you for the grit to keep going. You are talking about growing your business with new machinery and a helper. The old saw of "when the world hands you a lemon, make yourself a lemonade" certainly applies to you. Thank you for your positive personality and outlook on life.

waynem34
06-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Im in for a hammer. get well soon

Sweetpea
06-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Keith, You are a class act!

Keep us updated...

Magana559
06-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, seems like you have made a decision and have a positive outlook. Be well and heal fast!

MaryB
06-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Prayers for a speedy recovery! Your determination to not give in also helps healing so keep it up!

Catshooter
06-04-2014, 02:26 AM
Good for you Keith. That's moving forward. Facing reality is the first step in changing it!

I think that's a good idea about a lead hammer site benefit sale. I have just finished auctioning a rifle for the same purpose and it feels good to give back here. The man who won it is keeping it for his grandson and will teaching him to shoot with it. :) I started casting in the very early '70s and struggles like a dog most of the time. I've gotten so many answers, real practical answers here it's not even funny.

I'm quite sure it will go well for you.

Cat

R.M.
06-04-2014, 02:50 AM
Being diabetic, I used to worry about loosing a digit. But you know, after seeing so many vets and others that have, and how well they have adapted, it's not near as scary. I'm not a fan of Dancing With The Stars, but the last series had a lady with both lower legs gone, and she was just plain awesome.
It is what it is, and I'm sure you will deal with it well. There's always others how have it much worse.
Good luck.

R.M.

Wayne Smith
06-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Keith, I admire you for a courageous decision that is almost certainly the best long term solution. You know how to handle this, just keep doing what you have been. As an insulin dependent diabetic I have one piece of advice for you that has not yet been mentioned. Get your wife trained to do a foot inspection! You need to keep the one you will have. We cannot adequately inspect our own feet any more than we can inspect the back of our necks! She should be doing a weekly inspection of your feet. Do NOT wait for an inspection until you go to the MD, that is way to late.

Bulldogger
06-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Keith, best wishes for a speedy recovery, whichever way the surgery/healing goes. You have a positive attitude and that make a big difference. it's probably also due in part to you being a Hoosier, and we Hoosiers are practical and tough.
Alex from Barbee

searcher4851
06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Wishing you well in whatever course of action is required.
I admire your ability to see the realities of your situation, and instead of whining and complaining about things, accepting the reality and determining a course of action. You are an inspiration.
And I'd like to thank you for all your contributions here, and for keeping your "electronic family" informed of your progress.

Search

DR Owl Creek
06-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Keith,

I wish you the best! You're in my prayers.

Dave

Job 2: 1-11

7br
06-04-2014, 11:20 AM
My Doctor says that the max rate of healing is when your blood sugar is 85-135. I know I heal faster when I keep my blood sugar under control. I have worked out my insulin to use two different types, a fast acting short term type (Humalog) and a long term slow release type (Levemir). I can deal with and usually prevent high blood sugar by checking my blood sugar often and taking small doses (2-4 units) of Humalog when it gets too high for too long. I can usually control my diet and I don't binge eat but ever so often some things just make my blood sugar spike.

Keith, I am sure you have consider this but, here I go anyway. My 17yr old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two years ago. He was doing levemir and novalog pens. We got him an insulin pump last year after we meet our deductible. He seems to be doing well with it. It is nice that he does not have to inject himself after every meal. One of the drawbacks is that he has to carry another device that is about the size of a smart phone. Talking with the endocronologist, she thinks that eventually, there will be a device that works as a glucometer, pump controller and a smart phone. Something to consider, I guess.

Gator 45/70
06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Best of Luck to you Sir !

Will say a prayer for you.

hiram1
06-04-2014, 09:18 PM
God bless you and keep you .hope all works out for you my friend.

ggilbert
06-04-2014, 09:22 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers sir. I hope everything goes well for you.

MtGun44
06-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Keith,

Sorry to hear about the reversal of fortune. Best wishes for a quick and uncomplicated recovery and
learning new skills.

Bill

kenyerian
06-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Best of luck sir. Keep up the great positive attitude.

smokeywolf
06-04-2014, 10:27 PM
I would be insulting your intelligence if I said, you must exhaust all other options before resorting to amputation.

So, I will say, my next door neighbor is in his mid 40s. I've known him since he was 14 years old. He served his Country as a Marine in the late 80s. Came back home in one piece, started college and had a motorcycle accident that resulted in the loss of his lower right leg. With the support of family, he came out the other side with a prosthetic lower limb. He is a successful radiologist with 2 daughters that any dad would be proud of. His kids, wife and job keep him active. Other than the physical acts of running and jumping, the absence of his foot and lower leg have caused little obvious restriction or impediment in his life. He works full time and then some, coaches his daughter's youth soccer team and during Winter, he and his family spend at least two weekends on the ski slopes

smokeywolf.

Blacksmith
06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Keith
Wishing you all the luck if it comes to that. But a quick suggestion since you have some time. Have you considered Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment? It is the kind of thing that might help and shouldn't interfere with what else you are doing.

shoot-n-lead
06-05-2014, 01:04 AM
Best of luck with this and I will add you to my prayer list.

GOD bless

theperfessor
06-05-2014, 01:25 AM
I appreciate all the good thoughts from the folks here. My Doctor doesn't think hyperbaric oxygen would help much. I have a very high oxygenation rate since I quit smoking, and I'm getting good blood flow. The tissue involved is in a bad location and is just too torn up and damaged to heal properly. Believe me when I say that we have tried all the practical alternatives and treatment modalities to this point.

When I weigh the pluses and minuses at this point it is coming up strongly in favor of getting my foot whacked off. The amputation would be at or below mid-thigh, preserving the knee and making fitting a prosthesis easier. My surgeon works closely with the local prosthesis suppliers/fitters and can cut things at the optimal point.

Now that I've pretty much made the decision I find that I feel a little calmer and more peaceful inside. I feel like I am back in control of my life. I have been reacting to various personal and medical issues for a long time - now I can see some resolution and I can proactively plan my post-retirement future.

AlaskanGuy
06-05-2014, 03:00 AM
Will be praying for ya sir...

AG

35 shooter
06-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Hate to hear about this and wish you the best. It has to be a hard decision and i can only imagine. You certainly sound like the kind of man who will adjust quickly if it does come to surgery though. Take care of yourself and God bless.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated, as you are family to us. You are an inspiration to me and many here, as well as your students. I'm glad you have such a positive attitude going into such a decision. I wish you the best and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Jon

garym1a2
06-05-2014, 08:06 AM
I wish you well and pray for a good recovery.

P.S. the hammers I got from your last round where fantastic.

Jeff82
06-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Best of luck. You've got a good attitude, and sometimes that's half the battle. I'm sure that better days are coming.

--Jeff

Charlie Two Tracks
06-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Prayers go out to you Keith. Thanks for letting us know how it is going. I believe you will be as good as new by Spring.

Don Purcell
06-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Man alive! You said "I'm not tough" HORSE HOCKEY! With your attitude and outlook on this I would say you are as tough as rhino skin. Can't help but think you are about to start a terrific time in your life. All the very best, Don

theperfessor
06-05-2014, 10:12 AM
I want to be making hammers next Spring! My apprentice is ready to help me. If I have my own CNC mill to play with I will offer more engraving options. Also plan to make a few minor changes to the handle shape, nothing major, just want to make each generation of hammer a little bit different and distinctive. May even date stamp or serialize them.

I don't want to push things and try to make a different mold for a different weight head, but maybe a 1 or 1-1/4 lb hammer mold might be ready for the second round, maybe late 2015 or Spring 2016.

I'm starting to dream and hope and plan and it feels GOOD! And I will do whatever is necessary to make my dreams come true. At this point I would just about gnaw off my own leg to get out of the medical disability trap I've been caught up in. Lots of things to get lined out in the next 6-7 weeks to make post-surgery/recovery easier here at home.

I can imagine a life w/o a foot. I've been getting in and out of chairs and off the couch using one leg only, awkward but I'm building up my strength and getting my balance worked out. I plan to practice getting in and out of a wheelchair using one leg, and I'm using a walker and just one leg for practice getting around the house. Got a guy coming by to talk about building temporary wheelchair ramp so I can get in and out of house in emergency. Have a lot of experience with all the local appropriate health care agencies (home care nurses, therapists, etc.) so getting proper post-op treatment should be no problem.

I'd like to be able to hand out Halloween candy, cook Thanksgiving dinner for my family, and enjoy Christmas on both legs this year with no pain. And I will.

youngmman
06-05-2014, 11:30 AM
tomme boy,

Diabetes is insidious but you already know that. My 27 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 4 years of age so, my wife and I went through a crucible of learning about how to treat the disease.

The one thing we learned above all is that it can be treated if the treatment begins before there is serious damage such as gangrene that can develop in the limbs. See an endocrinologist before any of these things happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a doctor specializing in the treatment of diabetes.

It can be treated and controlled.

nicholst55
06-05-2014, 02:30 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers, Keith. I am also diabetic, and am striving diligently not to end up in a similar situation. My youngest son is a rehab doctor, and he told me some rather unpleasant stories about patients in the VA hospital who were either facing, or recovering from, an amputation. He convinced me to take better care of myself.

MaryB
06-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Good luck Keith and yes, prepare as much as you can and plan for some help to come in.

I know all about getting the house ready for surgery... Having wrist and thumb surgery the 18th and I need to make up 2 weeks of easy meals/food I can toss on bread or in a bun. Get that surgery out of the way then get ready for neck surgery... think low back repair is getting pushed into next year again... one thing I must do is get the upstairs bathroom in before low back surgery. My stairs to my bedroom are a 45 degree angle, almost like a ladder. Typical old farmhouse construction.

shooterg
06-06-2014, 12:02 AM
I hope if my sugar gets to that point I can face it as well as you. Sounds like you're ready to kick diabetes butt with one foot . Expect to see many more editions of lead hammers coming out of Indiana !

Four-Sixty
06-06-2014, 10:18 AM
I wish you only the best Sir!

GLL
06-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Keith:

I look forward to seeing a photo of you standing next to that new HAAS next Spring !
Best of luck !

Jerry

doc1876
06-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I pray for you continued strength and determination.

theperfessor
06-15-2014, 06:02 PM
We'll see what the doctor says in two weeks. If there is no significant improvement then we will most likely schedule an amputation.

I've worked with the HR people at the University and will be put on inactive status under a Long Term Disability provision in the contract. It is a little better deal than just retiring, gives me a little more protection should it require an extended period of time to get back to full health. When I recover then I will switch to straight retirement.

My nephew/apprentice is working out real well, we just finished a bunch of blank Lyman dies and are starting a run of blank Saeco dies. He is taking to machine work quite nicely, he is as good a student as I've ever had. Even if I end up with an amputation and we have to take a couple of weeks off he can still help me in an out of the house and to the shop in a wheelchair once the doctor lets me get out of house.

I plan to start teaching him to run the manual lathe this week. We'll keep working as long as we have anything to do and I am able to participate.

David2011
06-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Keith,

Good thoughts and prayers sent your way. Looking forward to the next hammer when you're ready.

David

twc1964
06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Keep fighting tbe good fight sir. god bless

Catshooter
06-15-2014, 08:15 PM
That's great news Keith.

I expect your nephew realizes how lucky he is.

Cat

Le Loup Solitaire
06-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Wishing you the best and most speedy recovery with out any further surgery. LLS

theperfessor
06-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to post an update for anyone who might be interested. Saw my doctor today. End result is that we agreed that a below-the-knee amputation is the best course of action to take. He is running about four weeks behind so surgery will be sometime during end of July. If all goes as expected then I can expect to be taking a few steps with prosthesis by end of October/early November.

I will spend the next few weeks building up strength and balance, getting house ready and working with my apprentice to build up a little inventory before I lay him off for a couple months. Hope to feel well enough to get him back to work by November.

In all honesty I'm glad the issue is resolved and I'm ready to move forward with my life. No fears, no tears.

Alvarez Kelly
06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
A good healthy attitude makes recovery lots easier. You are halfway healed already. Best of luck and you'll be on my mind.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Onward and upward !
I'll be prayin for a successful surgery.

Catshooter
06-27-2014, 06:54 PM
That's good news Keith. Good luck.

Cat

smokeywolf
06-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Saw my dad through this. You appear to have everything going for you. Support of family and friends will certainly go a long way toward helping you overcome and move on.

Please keep us posted.

smokeywolf

blackthorn
06-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Best of luck and our prayers for a speedy recovery.

theperfessor
07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Got notification of surgery date today, will have below-the-knee amputation surgery July 17, probably be out by Monday the 21st. Should be walking a little by Halloween.

I'm laying off my apprentice for a couple months, its usually too hot to work in late July, August, and the first few weeks of September anyway. After that I plan to get out to shop on crutches or in wheelchair until I get a prosthesis.

David2011
07-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Best wishes, Keith. We'll all be praying for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

David

gray wolf
07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Prayers for you Keith, Julie and I will keep you close in prayer.

Sam

Echo
07-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Best wishes, Keith. Fecal matter happens - and it's best to do as you are doing, face it and be flexible. Just keep on keepin' on - we're with you.

mikeym1a
07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
God Bless and keep you safe. mikey

TheCelt
07-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Praying for your swift recovery Sir, good luck and God bless.

John Allen
07-01-2014, 09:36 PM
perfessor, good luck I hope all works out.

MaryB
07-01-2014, 11:41 PM
One of those knee walkers where the bad leg could be on the walker and your good foot on the ground for moving might be an idea..

theperfessor
07-02-2014, 01:32 AM
MaryB, I've tried one of those and felt real awkward, with a lot of strain on my lower back. I appreciate the suggestion though, thanks for the thought. I think I can do OK using a wheelchair to get around in the house. I know I can get to bathroom door, and it is small enough that I can leave chair at door and lean on walls and sink while I hop around to get to toilet and tub. I have practiced getting in and out of wheelchair and my office chair, kitchen chair, and recliner/bed using upper body strength and one leg. I can get anywhere I need to on main floor of house.

I don't think I will be getting any home nursing care, so I don't think I will be home confined. I should be able to get out of house using wheelchair, I can roll out to shop, get to truck parked beside house and go out to eat with wife, etc. And my doctor expects me to show up at his office four weeks after surgery to get half of staples removed. The last time I was hospitalized I was home confined for several months each time, which makes me get very introverted and somewhat depressed. Not so this time. I have no problem with rolling into a restaurant with one leg of my pants pinned up for a while.

This will make things so much easier on my wife. She has had to wait on me for almost a year. For the last eight months she has had to dress my wounds twice a day, packing strip gauze up into a wound cavity in my heel the size of a ping pong ball. When she pulls it out it is like eviscerating a chicken. And even though we get carry out sometimes, my lack of mobility has required her to pick up the meals she doesn't cook, do all the grocery shopping, etc. All while volunteering in the gift shop of the local hospital, serving as a board member of the literacy center, giving tours as a docent at the museum, and running our mini-storage business. One heck of a lady!

After surgery the only medical treatment I will need from her will be to put Betadyne on the wound scar for a few weeks and wrap a gauze pad around the stump. And I can probably do that myself if need be. This will give her a chance to visit some relatives that live out of town for a few days. She has not tried to influence my decision, but I know she will be relieved that this phase of our life is coming to an end. And so will I.

Catshooter
07-02-2014, 01:37 AM
Good for you for marrying a good one. Good for her for being one.

I think that's what "for better and for worse" means, doesn't it? :)

Cat

Ramar
07-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Still praying for you...
Ramar

41 mag fan
07-02-2014, 10:47 AM
You need any help Keith..I'm 20 min away...don't hesitate to call....I live right over here by Chandler now not in Princeton anymore

Bored1
07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
I have a few suggestions from working as a nurse and seeing the results of many accident's after surgery.

Please, please, please install reenforced grab bars in your bathroom and another in the shower. No matter how small the bathroom is, grab bars are essential in your safety after surgery! Everything in your bathroom is generally harder than you and losing your balance is surprisingly easy. They are not hard to install, but please follow the directions and install them as recommended. A great place for one is generally where your bath towel rack is located. (Normally in front of the toilet and within reach from the shower). DO NOT PUT TOWELS ON THE GRAB BARS! In the event that you need the bar, many times you will grab the towel and slip of the bar. Many instances of the extended after surgery rehab I have seen are due to falls in the bathroom. It only takes a second to fall and it takes much longer to heal.

Also move any furniture that can not support your weight out of the path of planned hopping. I've seen plenty of people who loved a certain end table in a certain spot in the hallway and planned to just hop around it, lost their balance and had a fall that was much worse than it would've been without the piece of furniture in the way.

You will probably be able to complete the after surgery would care yourself, however please have someone other than yourself at least look at the wound daily. Cell phone pictures are incredibly handy with wound documentation.(HIPPA prevents healthcare workers from doing this, however you can do what you want with your own pics or "information") Pictures assist with concrete evidence of what the wound is doing, ie improving, stabilizing, worsening etc. Pictures also give your doctor more information, being able to show "big" "little" "oozy" "green" etc in terms black and white without any personal interjections or interpretation needed.

I would also suggest looking at local thrift stores for a wheelchair. Most can be had for less than 1/10 of a few weeks rental cost, and are generally in great shape due to only being used for a few weeks/months after a surgery, just as you plan you use it. Main things I would look for are be able to fold in sideways and no missing pieces. Your seem extremely mechanically inclined so you will not have any problem understanding how to adjust brakes, etc once looking at it.

9w1911
07-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Get well soon sir!!

theperfessor
07-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Bored1 -

Thanks very much for some very thoughtful and useful advice.

1. Have grab bars already in shower. Our downstairs bathroom is so small that there is literally no wall space on which to put a grab bar outside of the shower. You would have to see the layout.

2. We've already repositioned all the fragile furniture away from any traffic path. It was necessary to make room for a wheelchair. I won't be hopping anywhere really, except for one step into the bathroom, and I can leave a walker right inside the door where I can't mount a grab bar.

3. Photos are another good idea. We've been taking them all along to document the healing so far - and it is these that show that one wound hasn't healed much at all in eight months. I am not positive what after-surgery care I will be receiving, but he doctor has said nothing about home nursing care. The only reason i was getting it before was that I was using a wound vac and needed a trained health care professional to change that out. My wife is not a trained nurse or anything like it but she has been doing this so long for me that she and I both know what is normal or abnormal. We know what to look for and smell for, and neither one of us are shy about calling a doctor to report any problems. I tend to heal well from clean surgical procedures, but you never know. I have access to my family doctor (5 minutes away), my podiatrist (5 minutes away), and an emergency room at the local hospital (10 minutes away), even if I can't get hold of my vascular surgeon (20 minutes away).

4. I've got real good insurance, and all expenses for wheelchair rental will be paid by them for a period of time long enough to recover. Otherwise I would be doing exactly as you suggest.

Thanks again for a thoughtful, helpful, and considerate post.

MaryB
07-02-2014, 09:13 PM
With my bad back I added grab bars in the bathroom. They have literally saved my life from a fall that could have killed me. Also make getting off the toilet easier with a leg that doesn't always work

dragonrider
07-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Keith with myself being diabetic I am watching this post with considerable interest. Can't imagine having to make the decision remove a foot, for me that would be a very difficult decision. I am praying for your recovery to be smooth and painless and quick. I may need your services again[smilie=s: so no slouching on the couch. ya here?

theperfessor
07-02-2014, 10:27 PM
It would have been very hard to decide this eight months ago. After eight months of pain and incapacity the decision is pretty darned easy to make. Wouldn't wish this on anyone else.

Before surgery I'm going to have several steak dinners, maybe some baby back ribs - got to build myself up a little! And after I get through surgery I'm going to buy myself an air pistol so I can get in a little trigger time. I can get about 7 yards clear in the shop. Positive reinforcement all the way around.

Better times ahead!

monadnock#5
07-03-2014, 07:51 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211008/speer-plastic-cases-38-caliber-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Have you ever tried these? You can stay in practise with your .38 with these.

jrayborn
07-03-2014, 09:05 AM
I love your attitude, very positive. Do your best to keep it that way, your attitude will pull you through so much if you just see the good as best you can. Good luck to you!

Jon

theperfessor
07-03-2014, 09:59 AM
I've tried wax bullets and plastic rounds, but I've been wanting to get a decent air pistol for a while, so thanks for good suggestion but I think that's what I'm going to do. I can always melt down the used pellets to add to my lead stock.

My future is going to be different than I imagined it might be a couple of years ago. But I think its going to be better than it might have been. I've got a fine apprentice that needs more training but is shaping up real well, no complaints. Having good, reliable help opens up a lot of business opportunities. I'm retired and don't ever have to teach another formal class again if I don't want to. I've got a little bit of financial security and the opportunity to prosper to whatever extent I feel like working to achieve.

I see losing a foot as a bump in the road and not a dead end.

Hamish
07-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I guess at this point the biggest question is going to be whether to go Pirate peg leg, boring store bought prosthesis, or make your own new foot!

Its great to see you in a good mindset, doing the BK is going to improve your life, and you already realize how it will set you free from being trapped in the house. Good for you, and good for your lovely wife! Will continue to pray for you both.

theperfessor
07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I've already talked to some of my Professor type colleagues. Customizing my prosthesis will become the subject of at least one student project. I plan to have a snow/ice foot, a concealed carry foot, and heaven's knows what else. I plan to have FUN with this thing. (Guess I've got a weird sense of humor.)

tomme boy
07-03-2014, 12:03 PM
It sounds like you are in a good state of mind. That really helps. I have been keeping an eye on this as I mentioned earlier. Are they going to go just below the knee? Why would they go so high? Is it to just to prevent further damage from the diabetes on the lower part of the leg?

My legs are really killing me today and I have to leave to make a run into Chicago in about an hour. Between the legs and my back and the drive I am going to be down for a day or so after I get back.

AnnieOakley
07-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Praying for you Keith! We are not too far from you, if you ever need anything!

crawfobj
07-03-2014, 01:14 PM
From the sounds of things and from what I've seen of you here, you're casting off the anchor that's been slowing you down.

Can't wait to see what you come up with to mod your new aftermarket equipment. It will not surprise me if you come up with something that will be a real help to others.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

NVScouter
07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
I've already talked to some of my Professor type colleagues. Customizing my prosthesis will become the subject of at least one student project. I plan to have a snow/ice foot, a concealed carry foot, and heaven's knows what else. I plan to have FUN with this thing. (Guess I've got a weird sense of humor.)

You Sir are awesome!

MaryB
07-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Hey Tandy Leather now has some camo leather out...

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-03-2014, 10:32 PM
What, no Lead foot :razz: :bigsmyl2: :kidding:

Bzcraig
07-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Good on ya Keith! I almost felt a little envy as you named the many feet you can choose from! Thanks for setting the bar for the rest of us!

Hamish
07-03-2014, 11:32 PM
What, no Lead foot :razz: :bigsmyl2: :kidding:

Okay, post of the month right there,,,,,

theperfessor
07-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Well, the deed is done. I'm in my hospital room right now recovering. Not all that sharp yet so I'll keep this short. All went well, nothing unexpected. I'll post more later.

s mac
07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
We are pulling for you, praying for you Keith.

smokeywolf
07-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Hoping for a quicker than expected recovery for you.

smokeywolf

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Still Prayin for ya...

David2011
07-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Keith,

I hope those around you in person look up to you the way we do here.

David

btroj
07-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Hope the recovery goes well Keith. You certainly have the right attitude.

I look look forward to seeing what the students come up with for you.

Stonecrusher
07-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Will keep you in prayer for a quick recovery.

kenyerian
07-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

MtGun44
07-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Best wishes for a smooth recovery. A friend lost his foot as a child (train accident) and most
people do not know that he has a prosthesis. I have helped him repair it a few times, and I
am impressed with how well it works. You have a great possibility for a really good result
in the end, although I am sure the process will have plenty of trying times.

Good luck, sir!

Bill

07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Keith,
May you have a speedy and 100% successful recovery.

MaryB
07-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Prayers for a quick recovery. Don't push to hard, let things heal!

gandydancer
07-18-2014, 01:15 AM
All the best to you kiddo. get well soon & stay well. Keep us posted. gd

Catshooter
07-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Godspeed Keith.

Cat

theperfessor
07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Just finished breakfast, not great but OK. Gas passer told me he would take out epidural Monday. My surgeon wants to discharge me Monday, so he said he would talk to gas passer about taking it out Sunday. Depends on my pain level as they wean me down and switch me to oral pain killers. So far not much pain, mostly stiffness and a few aches but easily tolerable. (Sore throat from breathing tube is worst thing right now.

PT/OT is set to come in later and get me up and moving, we'll see how that goes. Also waiting for visit from prosthetisist to measure stump and start process of fitting fake foot.

Kind of funny waking up and looking down and only seeing one lump sticking up at the end of the bed, but I'll get used to it!

Looking forward to getting home and playing with our cats, they are my babies now. My big gray girl kitty had taken to snuggling up next to me at night and I missed her purring and trilling last night.

Pb2au
07-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Very glad to hear you are doing well sir.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ramar
07-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes Sir, you're my new hero!! Keep up all the good...my prayers are with you.
Ramar

wallenba
07-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Great to hear all is going well. Keep reporting the progress.

Bulldogger
07-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I also congratulate your attitude, and your sense of humor about making multiple application specific spare feet. I remember an A-Team episode where a central American small time warlord had only one leg and he'd had made a whole stack of one-time use false lower legs with double barrel shotguns in them, set to shoot out of the heel. Just don't do like he did, so spring for plastic hulled shells instead of water-sensitive paper shells. Call it your NFA foot!

Bulldogger

dragonrider
07-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Keith you are an inspiration to all. I hope your recovery is swift and painless.

Mike in TX
07-18-2014, 06:12 PM
You have a wonderful attitude. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and back to your passions.

rush1886
07-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Godspeed and a smooth recovery, to you Sir. Thanks for who you are, and that which you are willing to share with us. Many would not be so brave.

Wayne Smith
07-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Good going, Keith. Keep the pain meds at the lowest possible level, but you know that and have been doing it. Praying for quick healing and a fast recovery.

gnoahhh
07-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm pulling for you, sir. Godspeed.

Mohavedog
07-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Hey Keith, I can only vaguely imagine the pain you have been suffering with your foot with it's refusing to heal. I'm sure it will be huge improvement, when your all healed up, to be able to walk around or stand at one of your machines without pain. God bless you and saying prayers for a speedy recovery.
Mohavedog

smokeywolf
07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Good to hear no complications.

Persevere.

smokeywolf

theperfessor
07-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Doctor unwrapped bandages this morning, said all looked good so I can go home tomorrow. I think he created a steel shortage with all the staples he used! I'm on last bag of pain meds to epidural, when that runs out they will take out epidural and foley catheter and switch me to oral pain meds. Nephew/apprentice will meet wife and I at house and help me get in safely.

Wife said my fur babies have been real restless at night since I've been in hospital. Looking forward to playing with them again.

Thanks to all for prayers and good thoughts, I can see more light at end of tunnel every day!

btroj
07-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Keith, I am quite happy to see you have maintained a positive attitude. The cats will be happy to see you, cats are like that.

Do the PT, don't rush things, but most of all keep the positive attitude.

Pb2au
07-20-2014, 07:35 PM
This sounds like excellent progress.
Listen to the docs, eat your vegetables and you will be back in fighting trim in no time.

Uncle R.
07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Best wishes to you Perfessor. It sure seems that you have the right attitude for a fast recovery. We're pulling for you and praying for you. Please keep us informed of your progress.
Uncle R.

MaryB
07-20-2014, 10:16 PM
When I came home after a 5 day stay in the hospital for a blood clot my cats mobbed me. Met me at the door saying "you're home you're home" Both slept on top of me that night instead of the usual next to me.

MtGun44
07-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Keep up the good spirits, Keith. Mental outlook is a key part of the
puzzle and it looks like you are at 110% on that ledger.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Bill

TXGunNut
07-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Remember, it just keeps on getting better from here on out. Not that you won't have a rough day or two but you've been thru worse. Hang in there, we're pulling for you!

gray wolf
07-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Prayers for a VERY speedy recovery.
Julie and I wish you the best Keith, I hope to hear nothing but good progress and a healthy recovery.
You can't keep a good man down, and you are certainly on top of the good guy list.
Heal up soon.

theperfessor
07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
They let me out at about 2:30 this afternoon local time. My nephew brought me home from hospital in his Dodge Ram, I couldn't get into my wife's Element. Then he just pulled me up two steps and over a door threshold while I was in a wheelchair. I weigh about 220, so you get an idea of his strength.

They pulled out epidural at 7:30 am, had a few pains and cramps about noon and had to lay down a little while. Within an hour I was feeling much better. Most of the pains were not from stump but were from sore muscles in back and thighs from sitting in uncomfortable chairs and sleeping in an uncomfortable bed. It's about 9 pm, had a few aches right before supper but OK since then. Haven't felt the need for any of the prescribed oral pain meds, but I have them if I need them.

Had a nice supper of left over barbeque ribs and several different cold vegetable salads that my wife made. First meal I've really enjoyed and didn't have nausea afterwards in almost two weeks. No more oral antibiotics, digestive system is starting to work fairly normally and as mentioned no oral pain meds to numb guts and cause cramps.

I've tried doing virtually everything I would need to do for basic living - getting in and out of wheelchair, office chair, and recliner. Also getting in and out of bathroom to toilet and shower. I get around house in office chair, keep my walker right inside bathroom door, and can go outside if necessary in wheelchair. I can reach refrigerator, toaster and coffee maker but not microwave or cabinets with dishes. We can cope with this for three months.

I have to wear a stump protector/immobilizer all the time. It looks like a 8" piece of thin wall plastic drain pipe that is split up the sides and has a cut-out for the knee cap; the bottom is closed and packed with a gel foam and a couple of velcro straps help hold it on. Can't let the thigh muscles bend the lower leg back, it can take a set and then you can't stand straight or attain a normal gait.

Doctor changed dressing yesterday and this morning, said it looked real good - no swelling, bruising, or excessive draining. He says I will walk within 90 days after surgery, so I just have 85 more to go. I can be patient that long. Already have staple removal and visit to prostheticist scheduled.

I'm sure there will be a few frustrating days ahead, but I'm over the major hurdle and all I have to do now is eat well, do a few exercises and stretches, and heal up.

Life just keeps getting better!

Sweetpea
07-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Glad to hear you are recovering.

God Speed, Sir!

07-21-2014, 11:24 PM
All good news, Keith.

crawfobj
07-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Great news Keith! Doesn't surprise me at all that you've already tested your limits 5 days in. Glad to hear you're able to avoid the pain meds. Some hard work ahead of you, but you're on the healing end for a change. Continued prayers for your speedy recovery.

smokeywolf
07-22-2014, 03:00 AM
All good news Keith. Forge ahead.

smokeywolf

Catshooter
07-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Hoofreakingray!!!

Cat

Wayne Smith
07-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Great. I assume you know about probiotics. You need to reflorify your digestive system after all those antibiotics.

Pb2au
07-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Great. I assume you know about probiotics. You need to reflorify your digestive system after all those antibiotics.

This is sage advice Perfessor.

Very glad to to hear you are home and doing well sir.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Great news Keith !
thanks for the update.

gray wolf
07-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Some refreshing good news, Please continue to get well and all healed up.

Sam & Julie

snuffy
07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Kieth, I was thinking about you the day before you posted the OP. I was reaching for the nose first die to size some 9mm powder coated, the push through would work great for those. Then I realized the die was in the 450, so I reached for the Lyman die nut wrench to remove it. I thought I wonder if he's about to get that amputation soon? Both tools worked just perfectly.

I'm so glad you're on the mend so others can get to use those ingenious tools you created. Seeing a need then making them to work AND look good, is a gift. Get busy healing up so others can experience your great tools. My prayers will be on-going through your recovery.

MtGun44
07-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Great report, so good to see you having such a positive outlook. On the
upswing, clearly.

Best wishes for a continued good recovery.

Bill

theperfessor
07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
It's been more than a week now since my amputation and things are going OK. Had to take a couple of muscle relaxers Tuesday night, my back muscles were cramping and sore. No pain meds even though the Doctor gave me a scrip for some hydrocodone somethingorother. No sharp pains, a few aches and some soreness but nothing intolerable.

Not everything worked as expected - needed to get a different stool to get in and out of tub safely, and had to change sleeping arrangements slightly, but other than that I can take care of all my basic health and hygiene needs, with a lot of support from my wife of course to set things up. She also changes out my bandage once a day, but it is a far quicker and easier process than what she had to do twice a day prior to surgery.

Got several orders for die blanks while I was out of action, had to get my apprentice to come over and pilot drill some undrilled blanks, that runs me out so I am having him start another run to replenish inventory. The first post surgery orders are shipping out today. Next time my apprentice comes over he will set up the CNC lathe from scratch without me being at his side. We are experimenting with Facetime between two iPads so I can see what is going on and help him out.

Target date to be walking - 82 days.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-25-2014, 09:48 AM
You have a great wife...glad to hear things are getting easier for her.
Also I am glad to hear it's going good enough for you, to avoid the pain meds.
thanks again for the update.
Jon

crawfobj
07-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Not having to use the pain meds is a huge blessing among many. Glad to hear of all of your progress.

Catshooter
07-26-2014, 02:42 AM
Excellent progress Keith, very glad to hear it. Carry on.

Cat

Wayne Smith
07-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Very encouraging, Keith. Keep up the planning, having something to do is essential to recovery. So many people don't realize this.

jsizemore
07-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Keith, you should have your prosthesis just in time for national butt kicking competition. Keep up the good work.

smokeywolf
07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Great progress Keith. We're all interested in how you're getting along. And, any who have a history of diabetes in there family must say, "There but for the grace of God, go I."

Looking forward to hearing (reading) that you're back in your machine shop.

smokeywolf

snuffy
08-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Any news Kieth? Progress? Keeping up the prayers for you.

theperfessor
08-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Doing great! Saw Dr last Tuesday (8/12) and got half the staples out of stump. Will see him again next Thursday and get rest of them out, then Friday I have appointment with prosthetist to get fitted with stump shrinker/shaper. After 3-4 weeks they will check size and shape of stump and take measurements, then check again a week later. If dimensions essentially the same then they will start making socket (customized to fit individual) and fit standard ankle/foot hardware to it. About 7-8 weeks from now I should be learning to walk on two legs for second time in life! (Looking forward to handing out Halloween candy this year, an activity I normally don't care for.)

My apprentice is working out really well, he is out in shop right now running the first operation on a bunch of blank Star dies. I'll post an "I'm interested" thread in the Casting Equipment section later today.

I'm very hopeful that barring something unexpected I will be up and working with my apprentice to make Christmas gifts for the "discriminating" caster and reloader, which is what most of my friends here are. I will let apprentice run standardized parts on CNC lathe and I will make custom stuff (nose punches and sizer set pushrods) on manual lathe. Still looking to buy CNC mill during first quarter of 2015. A couple of my shop-owning buddies have promised to send me all the work we can handle, and I've been researching another market that could provide us with a reasonably steady stream of income.

I have no regrets or second thoughts about making choice to have foot amputated. Mobility issues make life a little inconvenient right now, but to be pain free and feeling healthy for the first time in almost two years is wonderful. And after the staples are out my wife will no longer have to dress my wounds, she can stop being a nurse for the first time in a year and a half. Bless her heart, she has been wonderful through all of this.

obssd1958
08-15-2014, 02:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[smilie=w:

Great news, Keith!!

dragonrider
08-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Glad you are steadily improving, keep it up.

08-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Pain free, now that is excellent news.

Your wife has earned and well deserves extra special kudos.

jsizemore
08-15-2014, 06:49 PM
It's amazing how fast the body responds when it's energies aren't trying to fight infection. Looks like you've really turned the corner. Congrats.

MtGun44
08-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Good to hear of your progress, Keith. Sounds great on all fronts, and you are right
to praise your wife for being there when you really needed her. Sounds like you
chose wisely when picking a life partner, a wonderful thing.

The business stuff sounds like you are going off to have a wonderful and interesting,
plus remunerative, "retirement".

Bill

Catshooter
08-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Excellent!!!

Cat

Ramar
08-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Good for you Keith!
Ramar

auto5man
08-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Keith I don't know you and I don't post here often, but after reading this thread had to comment. You are an inspiration for many and I'm so glad to hear that you have been managing the whole ordeal emotionally, and that the surgery and your recovery is going well. Kudos to you.

What a blessing to have such a supportive and hands on wife....many people don't have that luxury and when they face a similar health crisis their spouse is just not able to provide that care. Squeemish, unwilling, or whatever. I work as an ER nurse, and you'd be surprised how many times I see that. I'm sure you're on top of it, but make sure you are keeping your blood sugars under tight control...that is also very important to healing.

Prayers and Well wishes for you...hugs to your wife!

w5pv
08-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Prayers for you

tomme boy
08-16-2014, 02:41 PM
:awesome:

This is good news. I wish I could be pain free. Can't wait till you are up and running. I have a bunch of nose punches I need to order.

firefly1957
08-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear you are improving.

MaryB
08-17-2014, 12:46 AM
great news ! Make sure they build in a holster on the new leg!

theperfessor
08-17-2014, 10:13 AM
If I can get the carbon fiber socket I think I can pull off the Robocop look...

I'm seriously considering how to incorporate an ankle holster for my J frame snubby and a place for a couple of speed loaders or speed strips.

GLL
08-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Good to hear about the progress and that you will be back in your shop soon !

Jerry

Wayne Smith
08-17-2014, 04:57 PM
If I can get the carbon fiber socket I think I can pull off the Robocop look...

I'm seriously considering how to incorporate an ankle holster for my J frame snubby and a place for a couple of speed loaders or speed strips.

Why not, Keith. If they can put a 7" cap and ball holster in a boot you can put a J frame snubby in your leg!

MaryB
08-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Hmmm, some Kydex, heavy leather, stainless bracket/clamp to the leg tube... could put mag holders on the back of it

MtGun44
08-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Well, that would be different. Most folks cannot attach a ankle
holster with wood screws. . . . . . :shock:

Bill

Ramar
08-18-2014, 08:58 AM
"attach a ankle

Bill"

Don't do that! Get the guy who can "weld a banana skin to a 2x4" then it will last!
Ramar

theperfessor
08-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Well, that would be different. Most folks cannot attach a ankle

Bill

Actually, I was thinking along the lines of epoxy and rivets.

A friend suggested that I make a wooden peg leg and get a pirate's outfit to hand out candy at Halloween. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Arggh, matey.

waksupi
08-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of epoxy and rivets.

A friend suggested that I make a wooden peg leg and get a pirate's outfit to hand out candy at Halloween. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Arggh, matey.

I had an old friend back in Missouri, who had a lower buffalo leg, hair, hoof and all, made for his leg. He liked to stay primitive at the rendezvous!

nicholst55
08-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Keith, glad to hear that you're progressing so well, and are pain free! As if you need the inspiration, here is a link to a short blurb about one of my personal heroes, Sergeant First Class Joseph Kapacziewski. He is the only amputee to return to combat as an Army Ranger. He suffered serious wounds to one leg in combat, and when the doctor told him that he would never regain 100% use of that leg, he insisted that they amputate it. This is one of the rare people upon whom morphine has no affect, so he was in constant excruciating pain during this entire ordeal.

Once he had his prosthesis fitted, he had to learn to walk, run, and make parachute jumps again! He receives no special treatment - he must meet the same physical standards as any other Ranger! He has completed five combat deployments since his amputation, and carries a spare prosthesis with him. He has also become a triathlete, and has completed two marathons.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/08/back-in-the-fight-amputee-army-ranger-returns-to-combat-five-times/

BrassMagnet
08-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Inquiring minds need to know!

What is the status of the air pistol project?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-18-2014, 10:56 PM
I've tried wax bullets and plastic rounds, but I've been wanting to get a decent air pistol for a while, so thanks for good suggestion but I think that's what I'm going to do. I can always melt down the used pellets to add to my lead stock.
Keith,
Yeah...did you find a decent air pistol ?
Jon

2wheelDuke
08-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Keith, good to hear of your progress.

While an ankle holster will be cool, maybe you can take the whole idea up a notch.

Catshooter
08-19-2014, 11:54 PM

Keith is that what you really look like? Here I thought you were an old guy like me!

Cat

theperfessor
08-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Saw doctor Thursday and got rest of staples and stitches removed. All is OK, healing progressing as it should. Wife has to put Betadyne and wrap bandage around stump one last time and then her job as a nurse is over!

Friday I got fitted by prosthetist with a stump shrinker. It's basically a cone shaped sock made from very thickly woven elastic material. It is designed to squeeze down the knot at the end of the stump and shape stump into a cone. Three weeks from now they will measure stump and assess shape and then do it again a week later. If no significant change they will start making socket, which takes 1-3 weeks. I'm still on track for walking again by early to mid October.

2wheelDuke - I'll never look as good as the babe in your picture; I'll never even have hardware that looks that good!

Brassmagnet has kindly offered to have George deliver an air pistol that is currently not being used. Thanks! I'll pay it back or pay it forward when I get on my feet again.

MtGun44
08-23-2014, 11:43 AM
perfessor,

I have a friend with a prosthetic foot, and I have worked on it before when the bolt that
lets the foot pivot at the ankle broke on him. Got a Grade 8 replacement, removed the
broken stub and bolted it back together. Better than new, the original bolt was unmarked,
meaning Grade 2. Thousands of $ for a hand made prosthetic and they put junk bolts in it.
Hard to understand.

So - rivets and epoxy would be good for the holster mount, or maybe rivet in an aircraft
nutplate and you can then screw on whatever you want.

I can send you a few of these if they would be useful. 8-32 or 10-32, can be set flush
and the nut part floats a bit to permit some self-alignment. I used them in my aircraft
for access plate attach screws.

http://www.aircraftfast.com/art/ms21059-floatinng-nut-plates.jpg

I am really glad to hear that the healing is doing so well, and especially your mental attitude
is so positive. That attitude may be one of the most important weapons in your arsenal
to beat this thing.

Have a good day!

Bill

theperfessor
08-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the offer Bill, I appreciate it. Let's hold off for a while. I don't know what the end result is going to look like, and the odds are after 6 months to a year they will change the attachment system to a vacuum type from the peg and cam system I will initially be fitted with. The vacuum type is supposed to prevent "pistoning", where socket slides up and down slightly as you walk. For folks that stand mostly in place the peg and cam system works OK, but after a while most people want a more secure fit.

Another factor is that the surgeon left as much of the lower leg intact so I could have the longest practical stump. That limits any space under socket down to ankle.

One up side is that the engineering department will let me use any of several 3D scanners and printers, and have even told me that they could make a capstone student project out of instrumenting or otherwise dithering with my hardware. I can reverse-engineer the existing hardware and make anything I want to fit it. At a minimum I want to mold in several knife slots, and I like the idea of an adapter plate. But weight is a factor. Too many unknowns at this point.

What I do know is that I have a long list of personal and professional projects waiting for me. Everything from getting out the grill and cooking some brats and chicken wings to making a custom mount for a red dot sight on a .357 Blackhawk. Not to mention resuming production of all the commercial stuff. The list goes on...

BrassMagnet
08-23-2014, 02:23 PM
George ran out of here yesterday in a big rush.

This is all I saw as he ran away!

I don't know what he was doing, but I can't find it!

theperfessor
09-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Saw prosthetist today. My stump has stabilized in size. He made a cast over my stump that they will use in the process of making the final socket, which will be hand laid up carbon fiber and resin. I go see him again next Monday (9/22/14) for a sample fitting in a clear socket that is used to check fit up. Then the following Tuseday (9/30/14) I will get fitted with the final socket.

I will be walking by the end of the month. The thought of being fully mobile and pain free in two more weeks is almost emotionally overwhelming. It's been a long time coming.

Had a few other minor health issues the last few weeks but those have been mostly dealt with.

After a couple of days wearing my prosthesis I will know what my endurance level is going to be. I'm hoping to get get back out in shop as soon as I can and start making things again. I'll post another thread when I'm ready to start making custom items again.

I want to acknowledge that Brassmagnet's friend George dropped off a very fine air pistol at my house a couple of weeks ago. I want to take some photos of it and shoot it, but that will just have to wait a couple of weeks. I will start up a thread when I get a chance to wring it out.

Thank you Brassmagnet and George, your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

09-16-2014, 10:25 PM
More good news, sir.

smokeywolf
09-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel. Bloody good. I'm very excited for you. I've had my mill, lathe and tooling for 13 plus years. The smell of the cutting & cleaning fluids, Dykem, etc. that make up the smell of the machine shop always makes me feel like I'm home.

Best news and best post I've read in weeks.

smokeywolf

Catshooter
09-17-2014, 03:13 AM
That's great to hear Keith. Obviously you made the correct decision and are making it work.

Cat

Nueces
09-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Good on ya, I'm pleased for you.

Mark

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2014, 10:26 AM
More good news...thanks for sharing

Bulldogger
09-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Glad for the update and good news. Keep at it.
BDGR

theperfessor
09-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Just got back from prosthetist. Tried on a clear plastic test socket to check fit-up. Everything looks and fits fine, I had a chance to stand up on both legs (between some parallel bars) and put weight on left leg. No pain, even pressure on stump, all is well so far.

Next Tuesday (9/30/14) I get fitted with real socket. Wife will roll me in to prosthetist's office in wheelchair, I will get to push my wheelchair out when we are done. Looking forward to returning wheelchair and crutches to rental agencies.

Eight days to a more normal life.

Nueces
09-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Hooaah!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-22-2014, 04:26 PM
that's great !

guywitha3006
09-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Good to hear!

Just Duke
09-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Saw Doctor yesterday. The cavity inside my left heel is not healing, it is getting bigger. I have to acknowledge the reality of the situation. I am nauseous from taking antibiotics, my pain level has gone up, and now I'm bleeding more and more. Time to end this. I have to see Doctor again in three weeks, we both agreed that if there isn't significant improvement by then that we will schedule an amputation. He is running about three weeks behind, so six or seven weeks from now I could have the operation.

He says surgery would take 1-2 hours, then 3-5 days in hospital. Normally folks would go to rehab for a while but he will send me directly home since I have proved to him I can use a walker and one leg to get around. I can also get wheelchair for rental for a while. Several months of home nursing care plus the excellent care I get from wife and I will be ready for fitting of prosthesis. Doctor claims I could be walking in three months and would barely notice it in six.

Found out I have enough sick leave to take the Fall off and since I am retiring this year and would get a free sabbatical semester in Spring anyway. End result is that I will never have to go back to work at University. I will get full salary until end of next July. And I may get a little better pension if I retire under a medical disability, plan to talk to HR folks Friday about that.

I've been training nephew to run machine tools, by the time I go under knife I should have a good inventory of standard items and hopefully can get him to make nose/top punches.

If all goes well I plan to buy Haas CNC mill in Spring, a year from now I could be in real good shape both physically and commercially, and have a well trained assistant I can count on.

I've been wanting to do another lead hammer site benefit sale, but I haven't felt good enough to do it. Maybe next Spring.

No regrets, no sorrow, I'm really looking forward to ending this part of my life and moving on to something better and far more satisfying.

Heal well Keith and enjoy your golden years. Do you still have my number?

ph4570
09-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Sounds good.

obssd1958
09-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Just got back from prosthetist. Tried on a clear plastic test socket to check fit-up. Everything looks and fits fine, I had a chance to stand up on both legs (between some parallel bars) and put weight on left leg. No pain, even pressure on stump, all is well so far.

Next Tuesday (9/30/14) I get fitted with real socket. Wife will roll me in to prosthetist's office in wheelchair, I will get to push my wheelchair out when we are done. Looking forward to returning wheelchair and crutches to rental agencies.

Eight days to a more normal life.

:goodpost:Keep it up Keith!!

dragonrider
09-22-2014, 07:11 PM
That's good news Keith, glad to hear it.

Catshooter
09-23-2014, 02:18 AM
That is right on. Ain't it grand when a plan comes together?

Cat

MtGun44
09-23-2014, 02:20 AM
That is great news. Best wishes for a smooth transition to the
next phase. It seems like you are having as good as this sort of
thing can be.

Bill

Wayne Smith
09-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Humm, Keith - methinks more than a couple of days to establish your stamina. I'm sure you have some muscular rebuilding to do. That may take a week to a month to accomplish. Then you can look at long term ability.

theperfessor
09-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes, rebuilding muscles that have gone a little slack as well as building up muscles that will be used more to compensate for different physiology. But I don't HAVE to do anything, I am effectively retired, so I can stop and sit down (or even take a nap) any time I want to.

I have a nice comfy tractor-seat stool out in shop and an apprentice that is more than happy to do almost anything that needs to be done. One of the first things we will do in shop is clean up the place. I am still planning to buy CNC mill after first of year and there are a lot of changes that need to take place to shop before then. I DO NOT plan to lift much of anything, just give directions and get out of the way. My apprentice has a good friend that I can hire to help out on anything that needs two strong backs. My apprentice is all in to cleaning up the shop and making our work environment more comfortable.

The medical people have all indicated that it will be about a year to get back to something approaching 100%, and I can appreciate that. I don't intend to overwork myself, but I am extremely motivated to succeed. One more week until I find out.

Fishman
09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
If your health insurance covers it, you probably should consider attending physical therapy. Nothing quite like an expert helping you who has seen your situation dozens of times before. Hopefully one or more of our members is a PT and will weigh in on this.

theperfessor
09-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Woo Hoo! Got fitted today with my prosthetic foot. Next week I start therapy for "gait training", which will help me learn to walk properly. I'm using a walker for stability, and with therapy they will move me to a quad-cane and then my regular fighting cane. I've already run several errands - mailed a package at the PO, got a soft drink and a snack at a drive-thru, stopped to see my friend Jeff at his machine shop. All boringly normal and absolutely wonderful things to do.

Tomorrow I have a whole list of things to do, None require I stand up or walk for very long, most just require being mobile and reasonably self-sufficient.

I'll know within a week when I should formally reopen my business - I'll post something and change my sig line.

Thanks to everyone who thought to include me in their thoughts and prayers over the last year and a half, your concern is appreciated. I hope to pay back the collective Castboolits fraternity by doing what I can to help make this the Golden Age of bullet casting.

Smoke4320
09-30-2014, 05:50 PM
I am glad its starting to look up for you.. heres to a speedy recovery

Ramar
09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Great news! Great guy!
You're still my hero!
Ramar

smokeywolf
09-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Spectacular Keith. Every update from you just gets better and better.

smokeywolf

firefly1957
09-30-2014, 08:17 PM
I am glad to hear you are doing better Perfessor I had a friend that has been having about the same problems, last week his ashes were interned he was 75 then another my own age told me he was in the hospital and almost lost a foot he just got home Sunday still having the wound evacuated i am praying he heals completely.

theperfessor
09-30-2014, 08:47 PM
firefly1957 - Hope your friend heals completely, that's the best possible outcome. Sometimes it just doesn't happen that way and you gotta make a choice of the remaining options.

I've now had my prosthesis on for about 8 hours and have tried to walk around as necessary to run a couple errands, move around the house, etc. Nothing much really but I am absolutely exhausted. Using muscles that I haven't used for a while, using other muscles in new ways, being more active in general, its all adding up. May have an early bedtime tonight!

**oneshot**
09-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Awesome news! Keep moving forward!!!!!! I know you'll be glad to get back to work.

Bulldogger
10-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Congratulations Perfesser! Glad to hear of your progress. BDGR

theperfessor
10-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Here is photo of prosthesis and socket. Polyethylene liner, carbon fiber outer, USI (University of Southern Indiana) logo is cloth patch from shirt that the wife got at bookstore. It's not a decal, its actually impregnated with resin and covered with clear coat. Snaps off and on in just a few seconds.

btroj
10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Velcro shoes? Man, you are old!
I need to send you a PM, I need some info on a few things.

Very happy to see you on the mend. Positive attitude makes a huge difference.

waksupi
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Glad you're progressing! Keep it up.

MaryB
10-02-2014, 12:40 AM
What no gun holster molded in?

Catshooter
10-02-2014, 02:49 AM
Keith,

Your progress is too cool for school. I am so glad for you.

Cat

Wayne Smith
10-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Keep it up, Keith. A little here and rest, a little there, rest, and again. In a month you will be back close to normal. Each day you can do a little more, but it seems barely measurable. At the end of the month you are amazed at what you have accomplished.

mold maker
10-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Plenty of room for a holster. Just not a SRH 44 M.
Be careful when ya cross your legs though.
Good on ya. All our prayers are being answered.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-02-2014, 11:19 AM
...snip...
and then my regular fighting cane.
I love that line !!!

Hearing about your moving around is just more great news to hear...with so much bad news going on around the world, it's just great to hear your good news !!!

snuffy
10-28-2014, 06:45 PM
So how's the new prosthesis working prof?

Been a month, time for a prof-gress report---:bigsmyl2::mrgreen:

Mike in TX
10-28-2014, 06:56 PM
So glad to see you are doing so well. Positive attitude helps. Good luck

theperfessor
10-29-2014, 10:55 AM
I have progressed from needing a walker to assist me while walking to being able to walk w/o a cane or any other aid. I still need to use a cane or lean up against something when I stand still, but I have had to do that for years due to neuropathy and some inner ear balance issues. After I received prosthesis I used a walker for about 2-1/2 weeks, switched to a quad cane for about three days, and then started using my regular cane. Towards the end of last week I started walking around inside house w/o using cane and have gradually built up strength and balance to point of being able to walk out to shop or my truck with no problems.

Getting out to shop to work directly with my apprentice has really helped my mental health and outlook. I still can't run machinery much or lift anything heavier than a few pounds but I can give my apprentice hands-on instructions and hand him the right tool to do whatever it is we are trying to do.

We spent two weeks cleaning up the shop, and he refused to put the hours on the clock, he was really glad to clean and organize things. He's a golfer, I'll pay him back by entering him and his friends in one of the charity scrambles we have around here. As I got sicker last year I admit I let shop organization slide and it really needed to be done. It is so nice to walk in to a clean, organized shop with nothing underfoot to trip over and with a place for everything. As we get new tools and equipment I will put him in charge of organizing things.

The last two weeks we spent installing a pneumatic 5C collet chuck on the TL1 CNC lathe. (posted pictures and narrative in Special Projects section) Then I showed apprentice how to make nose punches (yes, I am back in full production again w/2 day shipping). The last two days I showed him how to do internal threading on a manual lathe. He bored out and rethreaded twenty 5/8-18 nuts to 11/16-24 UN. I have been selling blank Saeco dies, and some folks had trouble screwing on the standard Saeco knurled nut, so we made some hex nuts that I guarantee will fit my dies. I will start sending those out later today.

Started therapy last week, my therapist is really pleased that I have gotten to point of walking without assistance in less than a month. Most of my therapy is now focused on doing some exercises to build up specific muscle groups. It will be easier to walk smoothly when I am stronger, I can feel how much easier it is to walk now as my leg/hip strength has improved in just a few weeks. It is a strange mentality, after not using my left leg for months I had to start believing I could use it and that it would be strong enough to support me. I'm at that point now, I expect my leg to work and not collapse under me.

Still have a long way to go physically, but I feel like I have made significant progress so far and I am able to get enough things done with help that I am not impatient enough to force things. I can wear my leg most of the day, I can be up on it for several hours a day, and I am feeling a little stronger every day.

My doctor told me I would be able to pass out Halloween candy this year, looks like he knew what he was talking about.

smokeywolf
10-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Your cheerier outlook and overall happiness shows through in your posts. I am and I know all the others here who have followed your progress, are exceedingly happy for you.

Wayne Smith
10-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Yup, you are about where I expected, and I ain't no physical therapist! Learning to walk again takes time and conscious effort but it's well worth it. Time to start bending, handling some weights, and building up basic conditioning and strengthing your central body. By Christmas I would think you would be back in full time normal effort comfortably. Something to work toward, anyway.

MaryB
10-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Great news! Wish I was closer I would put in shop time free to be taught how to use the machines. Always wanted to learn machining beyond the little I do on a drill press.

Hamish
10-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Keith, you cant see it, but I had both fists in the air reading you're back! As has been said, with all the fertilizer to wade through in the world, it's really good to hear one of our own coming back.

As as my old man used to say, stay with it and show em what yer made of!

Idaho Mule
10-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Good to hear from you again, I am glad you're doing better. The elk steak offer still stands. JW

Catshooter
10-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Man, that is totally awesome and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo glad to hear of such great progress!!

As I started reading your post I thought: "I kinda wish he'd show us some pics of this much discussed shop." !! I'm off to Special Projects to look and drool.

Cat

theperfessor
10-30-2014, 11:27 AM
MaryB, if you lived close I'd be glad to find the time to give you a little help. None of it is rocket surgery or brain science or whatever. I am convinced that almost anyone that is mechanically inclined, can read a mike, and can understand a few basic principles of material removal can learn to run a lathe or milling machine. Motivated people with a purpose for learning seem to progress faster. And when you can't figure out what to do you ask for help and a lot of people will help you, both here and on other machining related sites. We all had to cut our first piece, and a lot of us threw it out and did better on our second piece...

One of these days I'll do a photo guided tour of the facility, its only 24' x 30'-8". It's full of machinery now and will be even more crowded next Spring when I install the TM1 CNC mill. We had to clean up shop and dispose of everything unrelated to making parts or there would be no room to work in. The only exception is my lead supply and casting equipment.

MaryB
10-30-2014, 11:14 PM
I have done some basic milling in copper making small square cavities for preamps for antennas. Very high performance preamps that sell for $200 each. But no critical dimensions really. Just mil the space into a copper block with a drill press and a cross slide vice and measuring as I go. For those .05 tolerance is plenty.

BrassMagnet
10-30-2014, 11:19 PM
I want to see the air pistol range.

waynem34
10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey guy hope all is good.Get well soon.

MaryB
10-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Copper is really fun to work, stuff grabs, I ripped a 4 inch square block out of the cross slide vice not to long ago and tossed it across the shop. No damages other than a dent in the lawn mower and my sanity, plus some ding on the block that were not critical. Now copper heat spreaders in amplifiers and the ones I use under thermoelectric chips have to be perfectly flat. I send those out to a local machine shop to be prepped after drilling and tapping holes.

snuffy
11-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Kieth, I'm so glad to hear that the new prosthesis is working out so well. Just know that I'm always thinking of you and praying for how you're doing.

Thanks for the progress report.

MtGun44
11-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Keith,

Check out the article in the Nov 2014 issue of Smithsonian magazine. It is on new gen
powered prostheses, the key name is Huge Herr at MIT.

http://www.biom.com/patients/biom-t2-system/

http://www.media.mit.edu/people/hherr

Bill

theperfessor
11-02-2014, 03:33 PM
BrassMagnet - Now that we have the shop cleaned up I'm hoping to find a place where I can set up a pellet trap and give that Gamo air pistol you sent me a good workout. I'll start a thread when I do.

MaryB - Pure copper is a dog of a material to work with. It is gummy and grabby and just plain nasty. Brass and bronze is great stuff to machine, but not copper. There are a few free machining grades available but they might not meet all the other requirements of your product.

I am at the point of wearing my gel sleeve, padded socks, and prosthetic foot pretty much all day now. I can't be up on it all the time but I can wear it and get used to it and pretty much ignore it until I have to walk. I can take prosthesis off easily for when I sit down for long periods, but I still leave the sleeve and socks on to keep stump from swelling. I have a few aches and pains from time to time, but I'm learning how to keep prosthesis snug to minimize pressure on end of stump when standing, this keeps pain level down. The idea is that a stump should be a hydraulic component that confines fluid within a meat bag, and when pressure is applied to the bottom of the bag the pressure is distributed to provide even support. If it isn't snug the force is applied to the end of the tibia where it was cut and causes a fairly sharp pain.

I can tell my stump is still shrinking; it takes more sock thicknesses to fit snugly. I start out in the morning with a five layer sock and now add a three and often one or more single layer socks as the day progresses. The more I am up on my feet the more fluid I lose and the more socks I have to wear. It's no problem and part of learning to adapt to my new normal.

I have an appointment next week with my prosthetist. He has several methods available to adapt current prosthesis to my getting-smaller stump. and to pad some areas that seem to be causing some pressure.

All in all I'm in far better shape today than I was a year ago or even 4 months ago. I would not have made a different decision four months ago knowing what was to happen. I have no regrets and no recriminations, just a desire to continue improving myself, enjoy life and grow my business.

Lance Boyle
11-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Glad your life is getting back to (a new) normal. Hope your mending is smooth Perfesser!