PDA

View Full Version : Which re-loading manuals do you recommend

Bill in Ky
06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I have to upgrade my loading manuals. I have the Lyman 49th on the way, what others do you like for cast and jacketed pistol...

bunkysdad
06-03-2014, 03:47 PM
I like the Lee manual. Both for the reloading charts, and the articles in the front as well.

mikeym1a
06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
I use both old & new manuals, to compare the loads from then & now. I have a history degree, so that might explain my outlook. mikey

dbosman
06-03-2014, 04:04 PM
You, and all of us, really need more than one manual or source of loads.
Mistakes and typos, habben. Powder lots change.
If you have a favorite jacketed bullet line, grab that companies manual. Add in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual and some free powder manufactures loading data brochures and you're pretty well set.
All or almost all powder manufacturers have their load data on line. Most offer a free download that you can print.
Tripple or quadrupedal check any load data you see that isn't from a manufacturer. Even Handloader magazine has an errata column.

Uncle Grinch
06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
I use mainly the Lyman cast bullet manual, along with Ken Waters PET LOADS. I also refer quite often for comparision the LoadData site of Wolf Publishing.
http://www.loaddata.com/members/index.cfm

brtelec
06-03-2014, 04:09 PM
I too use a combination of my old manuals and Loaddata.com. You can not have too many sources.

gray wolf
06-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Believe it if you will, I saved for months to get the two new Lyman books,
Needless to say I am quite disappointed. The pistol Cal. I load for are way out of whack as for the FPS listed,
way low. I have been loading long enough to know not to use one book, So I don't.
I try to take advantage of all the Powder company's data, and cross check with two older books I have.
I also use a Pro chrony Pal to verify loads.
I have a hard time with a book that tells me 19 grains of 2400 hardly gets a 240-250 grain bullet out of the barrel with a 44 mag.
255 grain Lyman 429244 18.2 Gr. 2400 = 915 FPS / 22.2 = 1165 FPS
Come on, a little slow don't Cha think ?

Anyway my to new books are in great condition and can be had with a PM for a discount.

dragon813gt
06-03-2014, 04:53 PM
What jacketed bullet brands do you load? That will determine which manual you need to buy. No sense buying a Hornady manual of you only load Sierra bullets. The Lee manual is invaluable since it's a compilation of all the other manuals loads. Well it was at the time of publishing and newer manuals have been published since then. I buy all the manuals I can. Except for oddball ones like Norma because I don't use their powder. I pull out the Lee manual the most followed by Hodgdon's online data and then Hornady's manual since I use their bullets.

SSGOldfart
06-03-2014, 05:43 PM
hum I just finished dusting off my Sierra Bullet manuals I still use the 1st and 2nd edition,I have others but speer #10 and sierra gets the call most of the time Lyman only when I need a cast boolit I can't find any place else

500MAG
06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Lyman reloading handbook, Lee manual and the Bible.

tygar
06-03-2014, 07:01 PM
LOL I must have 20+manuals + notebooks full of printouts from the net, and dope books going back decades.

If I'm working up a new load I usually start with the manual for that brand of bullet. Then I look at that manual's previous editions, which are usually hotter. I may still look at other manuals & printouts to see what they look like.

If I have any info on what powder usually works better with a particular gun/bullet combo I'll start there.

Whatever, try & get input from what others have found to reduce your experimenting time.

After doing this for 40+ yrs I have lots of info to start for most loads & use all the info to help keep it easy as possible. I still look at multiple books when working up a load.

bangerjim
06-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Get the $9 Hogdon Annual Loading Manual........nice reference for quick checking.

5K of loads in there.

bangerjim

jonas302
06-03-2014, 10:09 PM
The Hogdon is worth updating every year for the articles I also like to use the powder company's websites a lot to compare to books or information found elsewhere be sure to send for there free manuals also

nagantguy
06-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Love the Lee, speer #10 is a go to, the Lyman's of course and the hogdons annual is also handy and being printed yearly has what's hot I.e. 500 sw or 300 blkout ect.