PDA

View Full Version : FDH#2 Anybody Shooting Them?

Johnw...ski
01-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi,

Back in the late 70's plans were available for a single shot rifle designed by
Frank DeHaas. Well around 1979 I built one useing brass for the receiver to see how the design worked. I built a .22 RF to 7/8 scale and wound up with a very nice single shot rifle which I still shoot. Several years later I started building 3 more receivers with pre heat treated 4130 steel and finished 2 around 1989. They have sat in the rack ever since for a variety of reasons. One is chambered for .35 Wehlen the other for 45-70.

As I mentioned in another thread, I started shooting the 45-70 a few weeks ago for the first time, with mixed results. I believe the problems are mostly load issues and related to the 1 in 14" twist (what was I thinking) of the barrel. This is the fourth 45-70 I have barreled and chambered, the others have all shot well so I am confident in my work. Anyway, I am very happy with the way the rifle functions and feels and once I tighten up the groups I think I will have a real shooter.

Anyone else out there have one of these? I would be interested in hearing any other views on this action. I wonder how many got built and are being used?

Thanks,

John

4060MAY
01-14-2008, 10:28 AM
which one?
The chickopee or the vault action?
He also designed another action built by Dean? Miller
a lot of schuetzen guys are using this one.

Johnw...ski
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
which one?
The chickopee or the vault action?
He also designed another action built by Dean? Miller
a lot of schuetzen guys are using this one.

As far as I know the FDH#2 was a particular design. The plans call it FDH System No. 2 Rifle.
It's a falling block with a 1" round breach block. The breach block is supported above and below the chamber centerline, seem like it should be quite strong.

John

lastmanout
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I have the book with plans, but never got close to building one, YET. Congratulations on finishing so many projects. I sure you will solve the problem. Maybe forearm pressure or buttstock loose ??

59stude
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Lastmanout,
Can you tell me the title of the book with the plans in them.
Have been looking for plans for building an single shot rifle but
here in Sweden it is not so many books aviable, so I have to look
elswhere for fining one.

sincerly
59stude

Underclocked
01-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't know about a book for the DeHaas plan but Midway sells a book about building one.

"Building a Single-Shot, Falling-Block Rifle Action" Book by Walter Mueller

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=947189&t=11082005

edit: found this one that might have the plans "Mr. Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans" - by Frank DeHaas

and others at http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=single+shot&category_selector=10614

Johnw...ski
01-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I have the book with plans, but never got close to building one, YET. Congratulations on finishing so many projects. I sure you will solve the problem. Maybe forearm pressure or buttstock loose ??

Yah, I releived the forearm before the last shoot and the 400 gr cast were all over the place. The factory jackets then proceded to group nicely like the week before.

I weighed the 400 gr cast and they varied from 395 to 405 gr. but the so called480 gr bought boolits that grouped nicely the week before weighed in at between 500 gr and 510+ gr. Go figure.

I've weighed up a bunch at 395 gr and will try that with a slightly heavier load.
I still feel it doesn't like light loads.

Johnw...ski
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Somebody else must have built an FDH System No. 2.
I can't believe I am the only one to finish one and use it.
I would love to hear what other shooters have run into with this rifle.

JohnW...ski

StrawHat
01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

For those of us who don't know a FDH#2 from the chickopee from a vault from a lug nut,

How about some photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Okay, I do know a FDH#2 and a lug nut but those other two?????

Blammer
01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I think I know what a lug nut is.... others... no clue...

Johnw...ski
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I didn't have any lug nuts around and it would too much work to take one off of something, so no pictures.
Here are some pictures of the FDH System No. 2 which I have a feeling may also be called the vault lock. Makes sense anyway, the way that round breach block works.
Here is a picture of the FDH#2.
Go to the linc below to see the Chicopee and more pictures of the FDH#2.

http://www.msnusers.com/1brunnu3im5qqiruas4if5sno1/documents.msnw?fc_a=0&fc_p=%2FFDH%20Rifles

John

Johnw...ski
01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I'll get the hang of these pictures yet.
This is a better picture of the FDH#2's.

JRD
02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
John,
I just saw your thread here. Congratulations on a fine looking rifle. I've spent a moderate amount of time around a machine shop, so I really appreciate the work that must have gone into your rifle. I'm guessing you stocked it yourself as well.

BTW, I'm up on the mainland in North Smithfield.

Jason

NoDakJak
04-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Quite a few of the #2 FDH actions have been built. It is a very strong action. I intend to build a couple of them and several more of the "Chicopee" action. As i stated in another thread, frank asked my opinion of the #1 action. My reply pissed him off so bad that he refused to speak to me for several years. I simply old him that I didn't loike the ass backward operation of the lever. Damn! No sense of humor! I must have dropped a turd in the punchbowl. Given decent workmanship, the #2 is a fine action and is a living testament to Franks ingenuity. I like the simple little "Chicopee" even better however. The one that Frank built for the 22 LR operates s smooth as silk. It is an ideal action for the 25-20. my favorite cartridge! Neil