PDA

View Full Version : Shot our club's mini, casual BPCR shoot

Buckshot
01-14-2008, 04:14 AM
..............Shot it for the first time today. It's always on SUnday and I've worked weekend nights for the past 12 years (until recently). Got a call from Glen, one of my shooting buddies wanting to know if I was all set for the match. Match! What match? So he says the black powder cartridge match. They shoot at reduced size buffalo silhuettes at 200 meters. You get 6 shots in rotation with the other shooters. Today there were 13 people.

So naturally I'm not ready and hadn't even thought about it. Glen says bring your rifle tomorrow, I still have lots of ammo left. Glen bought Jon K's Uberti Hi-Wall in 38-55, and Jon threw in a bunch of loaded ammo, so that's what we were shooting. I didn't even think about a taller rear sight so I arrived with the regular Marbles tang sight.

I paid my fee and for the first hour it's open for folks to take sighters. I left the sight just like it was and took my first sighter. About 4 ft low but good windage. I began cranking on the sight and it came to a stop rather suddenly. Glen handed me another cartridge and said he hoped I had enough elevation. Me too :-). It was enough as it clanged the silhuette. The spotter said it was low in the belly.

My first score shot was a miss. I held half a siluette high and the boolit whistled just over the back, hummm? I connected with the next 3 in a row knocking the buffalo over by holding 'on' the silhuette. I missed my 5th and 6th shots. The 5th is a Idunno as Idunno WHERE it hit and neither did the spotter. I rushed the 6th shot. I had a floater and it just would not go away. I felt I was taking too long so I aquired the best picture I could and let fly.

I suppose it wasn't too bad for a first timer shooting 2nd hand ammo :-) There were 3 of us shooting Hi-Walls, 2 Rolling Blocks, a Hepburn, a Trapdoor and the remainder were sharps. There were some sure enough pretty rifles there. We had a nice day for it. Bright blue skys and the temp as we finished up about 1 o'clock was 80. It was a good time to quit as a good breeze had begun about 30 minutes prior.

One of the guys must have brought in a pickup load of tangerines and said for us all to take some, so I got a bag of'em and have been burping tangerine all afternoon [smilie=l:

..................Buckshot

Swamprat1052
01-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds like fun. Yesterday was a purty day for such.

Swamprat

Bigjohn
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Buckshot;

Could you help me find a set of dimensions for the Buffalo Targets you shot. It would be a good idea to make a set for a local club shoot down under.

We (I am) are always looking for new idea's for shoots to get a bit of interest.

John.

Buckshot
01-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Buckshot;

Could you help me find a set of dimensions for the Buffalo Targets you shot. It would be a good idea to make a set for a local club shoot down under.

We (I am) are always looking for new idea's for shoots to get a bit of interest.

John.

..............John, I can sure enough look into that. They reset them via a nylon rope. And yes, from 200 meters! There is some kind of lever deal out there as when they heave on the rope to reset them you can see a long arm come up and then fall back down.

To add a bit of interest they pay cash prizes down to 4th place if there are enough shooters. Naturally safety is the main concern, but it's all very casual and real friendly. I didn't bring anything other then myself and my rifle, but it seems some of these folks who shoot it monthly need people looking after them, ha! There appeared to be a lot of running around and borrowing of stuff back and forth :-)

In fact Glenn didn't have any BP solvent with him. He took the wrong bottle and it was full of paint thinner. I scrounged an empty water botlte out of the trash and filled it with water, so we had that. His rod must have been 48" long and was for 22's so it was REALLY flexible. No jags, but an Altoids mint box full of old bronze brushes, and patches made out of some old canavs awnings or something. Not very absorbent. I put them in my mouth! But it was fun.

..................Buckshot

1Shirt
01-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Any day at the range beats working for somebody else. Sounds like you had a ball and next time will have your act together, and it might not be as much fun as the first time. Would like to get to the range here today, but was down close to zero last night, and will have a high only in the 20's. AND they say the real cold is on the way for the weekend. Sooooo, since I have adopted the "I will only shoot between 30degrees above to 80 above", will not go to the range. Of course the high temp does not apply to shooting P-Dogs!
1Shirt!:coffee:

KCSO
01-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Buckshot
How is it your Marbles didn't have enough elevation. I am thinking ther will be right at 14" of drop at 200 and the Marbles should cover that. I'm curious as Ii am going to start working with black in my 38-55 this spring and I am currently dead on with my Marbles and smokless and still have plenty of staff left.

I just finished some bullets for yu last night and will get them off this week.