PDA

View Full Version : Lead Boolit versus Plated

Franken_Ankle
06-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Hi, I am relatively new to reloading and even newer to casting my own. My dilemma is this. On a 9mm using a 124 gn Berrys plated bullet over 4.1 gn of Accurate 2 I was putting 5 shots into a 2inch circle at 15 feet. Now using a 124 Lead Cast TC from a Lee mold over 6.1 of Accurate 7, I have the same group, only 2 inches lower on the target. My thought is it has to do with the slower powder, possibly changing the trajectory of the shot. Does this make sense? If so how do I correct it? I can still go up an additional .4 of powder before max load. I can also shorten the OAL from the 1.100 that I am currently at, down to 1.050 if necessary.

Any help, or pointers would be helpful....thanks!

NVScouter
06-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Sounds like your trajectory is flatter with cast. Try the starting load data.

petroid
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
I doubt the trajectory is significantly different at that range. I would say its a combination of the velocity, recoil, and bullet dwell time in addition to a different bullet. All these things change poi. How do the loads feel compated to the other. I mean what is the recoil/noise/blast like. The lead load is likely developing lower pressure but higher velocity with decreased dwell and recoil. Bumping the load up a little might help or use a heavier bullet. I wouldn't change oal unless you have feeding issues

R.M.
06-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Why not stick with the same powder?

petroid
06-02-2014, 08:00 PM
If he's in the same boat as the rest of us it's probably all he can find

gray wolf
06-02-2014, 08:17 PM
different bullet, different powder, one fast and one slow, =different POI
You should work up loads for each bullet you shoot, .2 or .3 at a time, load a few of each and shoot from a good rest. ( sand bags if possible ) find the load that works for you.

Two many new Re-loaders are just picking a middle of the road load from the Min and max.
book recommendations, They load it and shoot it without knowing exactly how good the load really shoots.
5 yards is way close, good for a new guy to learn how to hit the target and that's about it unless your doing drills of a sort.

Just about any hand gun made should group 1" or less at 5 yards, you have to prove your loads at the distance you expect to shoot.

Your question was a good one, hope your happy with the help and welcome to the forum.

Franken_Ankle
06-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I was in fact just doing some drills at the time I noticed it. I did pick up the Accurate 7 as an alternative to the #2 I had used previously because my supplier was out. I am guilty as a new reloader of picking a middle of the road load data for the bullet listed. I am going to do as suggested and make bullets of several different loads between min and max and see if there is a difference. I got into reloading as a way to keep my ammo costs down but a month in I am starting to see the science behind it a little. This forum has been an invaluable resource so far. I appreciate the help!