PDA

View Full Version : Lee Microscope made easy! Thanks to whoever for the idea!

ghh3rd
06-01-2014, 02:17 AM
I don't know what thread I saw this in, but felt compelled to thank whoever it was that posted it. This may be a redundant post of this idea, but perhaps someone will stumble on it who may have missed another post with the same idea.

It is an utterly simple, free, almost instant and very effective solution to the difficulty I was having reading my Lee microscope. I think that they used the top of a 2 liter bottle top -- I used a small water bottle -- but any similar bottle should work.

I used to try to focus on the measurement as it moved around, and as the dimple in the lead went in and out of focus. With this 'high tech' stand, I can quickly settle the scope into the perfect position, take my hands off, and take my time reading exactly how wide the dimple is.

It almost makes using the Lee microscope pleasurable.

Randy

ps - I think I used a 27/64 bit for the perfect fit.

jmort
06-01-2014, 02:43 AM
I saw that as well and don't recall who came up with the idea, but it is brilliant and makes the very accurate Lee Precision tool easy to use.

jmort
06-01-2014, 03:17 AM
Here is thread, post #8 by Mal Paso who stated it was not his idea.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?219622-New-Lee-Hardness-Tester-good-results
So who do we owe thanks, aside from Mal Paso?

GP100man
06-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Me

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Leescopeholder-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/Leescopeholder-1.jpg.html)

It was just a spur of the moment necessity thang, & the 2liter container was readily available.

southpaw
06-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks, a mental note has been made. It sure is a pain to try and do all those little things at the same time and try not to move.

Jerry Jr.

Garyshome
06-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Great idea, that will make using the tester a breeze!

Handloader109
06-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Not to hijack, but is the tester worth the money? Or better question is whether or not it is accurate and repeatable? Thanks and it is a great idea

'74 sharps
06-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I'll stick with using my fingernail to check hardness............:smile:

largom
06-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Not to hijack, but is the tester worth the money? Or better question is whether or not it is accurate and repeatable? Thanks and it is a great idea

I have a LBT tester and a LEE. I modified a kids toy microscope to hold the LEE. It is my most reliable and accurate tester.

Larry

Foto Joe
06-01-2014, 09:30 AM

There was a thread a month or two back where a member posted a link to a laboratory test on hardness testers. Surprisingly enough the Lee Hardness Tester came out near the top with other more expensive units lagging behind. If the directions are followed for the Lee the results are quite repeatable. Although the results from the Lee can be very accurate and repeatable keep in mind that "my" 13.5 BHN might not be "your" 13.5 BHN no matter what hardness tester you use.

TNRELOADER
06-01-2014, 09:40 AM
There was a thread a month or two back where a member posted a link to a laboratory test on hardness testers. Surprisingly enough the Lee Hardness Tester came out near the top with other more expensive units lagging behind. If the directions are followed for the Lee the results are quite repeatable. Although the results from the Lee can be very accurate and repeatable keep in mind that "my" 13.5 BHN might not be "your" 13.5 BHN no matter what hardness tester you use.

That is good news since I was going to buy one this month. I was worried that it would not work that well.

jmort
06-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Thank you GP100Man.

Lee Precision links to the LASC link/article at the bottom of the page.
http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm#Lee
http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/lead-hardness-tester/

It is as accurate as it gets for a fraction of the $$$.

captain-03
06-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Novel idea --

imashooter2
06-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Made mine from a Doctor Pepper bottle. :)

Bzcraig
06-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Well I'll be dipped! First, a confession. As I looked at the picture my first thought was, 'how did he get the boolit and holder in there,' then thought 'duh.' Anyway I will make one this week as soon as I finish my bottle of grape soda! Thanks GP100man,

loaded303
06-02-2014, 03:38 AM
I like my lee tester.

pastor
06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
I have been using my Lee tester for a couple of years now and I like it, even before I made one of these holders, (which makes using the Lee tester much easier)

The results are repeatable and the price is great

robroy
06-02-2014, 01:26 PM
+1 Yup I'll be doing that!

h8dirt
06-02-2014, 04:27 PM
If I didn't already have a Lee tester I'd go out and buy one after reading this! Thanks for sharing.

Gun_nut83
06-02-2014, 06:23 PM
That settles it, I'm buying a tester and making one of these immediately. I've been doing my version of the "thumb nail scratch", instead I use my pocket knife. I know what you're thinking "a pocket knife? Well that don't prove nothing." My knives are sharp enough to shave with and IF it shaves my boolits it's ok for me. I wonder what mine actually test out to....... I think I have some laying around......have to get my tester soon. Hehehe :twisted:

jmort
12-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Bump for something useful

WILCO
12-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks!

GRid.1569
12-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Hadn't seen this.... But it's brilliant....

Got some great ideas from Cast Boolits over the years.

fragman
12-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Like the look of this a lot. Got my Lee tester today actually and it was quite tricky to keep it steady and aligned with the dimple long enough to read the scale. Of course, my dumb @$$ had the bullet on the bench vise, a pocket flashlight in one hand and the microscope in the other. Didnt think to unmount the shell plate and use that!
Anyway, I was going to get one of those gizmos that hold small items steady so you can solder them but this idea is quite a bit cheaper :)

All that aside, for the poster asking about accuracy, I measured 3 bullets plus an ingot ( the top face that says 'Lyman' and touches the mold) and all measured the same .056". So it IS repeatable. I then measured another one out of the same batch that i had quenched when I cast it and it came out .048". I was only really playing with it today but it does seem to work well.

zuke
01-01-2015, 05:50 AM
I have a LBT tester and a LEE. I modified a kids toy microscope to hold the LEE. It is my most reliable and accurate tester.

Larry

I bought one off EBAY and did the same. It's an older metal frame but it was dropped by someone and *****'ed before I got it. Paid all of $10 for it