PDA

View Full Version : Doe Antelope

MT Gianni
05-31-2014, 11:50 PM
I was watching a doe antelope 1/2 mile from the house this evening showing some different behavior. She would run then stop and wait. When I put the binos on her, she had a very newborn fawn that would nurse for a few seconds then she would run 50 yards and wait. After 4-5 times he was soon able to stay a lot closer. The fawn could not have been much more than hours old and was getting a good lesson that lopers live on their legs and trust to collective eyes.

tommag
06-01-2014, 03:26 AM
Its pretty cool, behavior we might consider cruel, is actually a good thing. While we try to make things easier for our youngsters, making it more difficult is actually a good thing.

2wheelDuke
06-01-2014, 03:32 AM
I'd guess the little one is being raised on the move. Consider yourself fortunate to have seen that with your own eyes. Millions of so called nature lovers back in the city that want to deny your rights to hunt have never seen nature in such a way.

Shuz
06-01-2014, 09:45 AM
We live out in the country of northeast Washington, and a few years ago, we were fortunate enuf to have a similar situation happen, when a Whitetail doe dropped a fawn in our backyard right at the edge where the lawn meets the "wooded area". Every year about this time we hope to see this again, but so far have been spared the treat.

NVScouter
06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
I think those things are born at 40MPH! We had a late fawning here. Since I'm in NW WY and your in SW MT I'm sure you did too.

I need to get out and watch some its a great time.