PDA

View Full Version : Aiming Past 3000 FPS With Cast In .300 Weatherby Magnum

Ricochet
05-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Haven't been on here much for several years, in fact I haven't been doing much casting, loading or shooting other than a bit of play with the muzzle loaders and making some BP round ball loads in 12 gauge brass cases. (That's fun!) I've gotten the bug to try something I've read about often in the past on this board, going for full jacketed bullet velocities with cast. I've just taken my first shot (s) at doing this with my .300 Weatherby Magnum. I used the Lee CTL-312-160-2R bullets, cast out of random nondescript cast lead of unknown composition and hardness but much softer than typical wheelweights, water dropped from the mould and sized .314" for my 7.62 X 54R Russian Mosins. They were tumble lubed in LLA. I figure a key factor for success with cast bullets is getting a tight seal in the chamber throat to prevent gas blowby that melts lead from the bullet surface, as often does frictional heating towards the far end of the barrel. After I'd decided on this bullet, largely because of its shape that just looks more like a supersonic rifle bullet than most cast ones do and because I knew it would tightly fill the leade, I found SAAMI's chamber drawing and thought I might have overdone the sealing. http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dr ... Magnum.pdf (http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/300%20Weatherby%20Magnum.pdf) If you study the chamber drawing at the bottom, the much discussed Weatherby "freebore" is a cylindrical leade of .3084" nominal diameter .36" long. That's why it's capable of good accuracy with jacketed bullets seated far away from the rifling, it doesn't give them much room to rattle around or tip, and the long case neck offers support. At the beginning of the leade, there is an abrupt taper from .340" to .3084" over .0153", quite a squeeze for the .314" body of this bullet and in fact too tight to accept most of the nose of it, too. When seated to the level of the crimp groove, the bullet is about .312" diameter at the end of the chamber, and it tapers down quickly to about .309", then gradually, only reaching .308" right before the beginning of the radiused ogive. That means that in a .308" groove diameter bore, much of the length of this bullet is full groove diameter or greater with no lube grooves. Not ideal. (Or Ideal. HA!) But I went ahead and loaded 10 of them in old Remington cases. The .314" bodies were a very tight squeeze into the unsized fired cases. I used the Lee Factory Crimp Die to just remove the light mouth flare I'd given them, no crimp. Load was 93 grains of pulldown WC860 I got from Hi-Tech back in 1998. Actually I weighed each charge, and they varied between a low of 92.5 and a high of 92.8, mostly right at 92.7 grains. Close enough, I thought. Primers were CCI #34 military surplus, which have very hard cups and relatively insensitive mix to resist inertial fire by firing pins in autoloading weapons and are said to be magnum strength. This load will push 180 grain Hornady SP bullets out of my snub nosed Vanguard (24" barrel) at about 3050 FPS, with an extreme spread of only 20 FPS and groups between .5-1" off of the bench. These bullets, cast of my soft alloy, checked and lubed, come in right at 174 grains. I crimp those jacketed bullets tightly with the FCD, but for these I thought not only that the crimps might produce bullet damage, but knew that the starting pressure would already be high from jamming the bullets into the leade. The front part of the bullet will be swaging into the rifling while the base of it is still swaging into the leade, producing a lot of resistance. WC860 is way on the slow side in the .300 Weatherby, and with 200 grain Speer Hot-Core bullets I'm not able to compress enough in the case to produce any pressure signs, it seems to be very mild and won't quite reach the velocities of other powders in the load books, let alone Weatherby advertised velocities. So I was unconcerned about hazardous pressure. The main concern is whether the pressure will cause asymmetrical slumping of the unsupported bullet nose as it undergoes axial compression from the acceleration down the bore. The shape of this bullet actually makes for a very short unsupported ogive in front of the tightly supported bullet body as I mentioned. Compressive pressure on the bullet metal is divided along the length of the bullet, greatest at the base and much less at the nose. I am hypothesizing that the peak pressure of this load will be in the low to mid 40K range, not much more than magnum handgun cartridges. Pressure rise is nice and slow, peaking after the bullet is fully engaged in the rifling and several inches down the bore. Getting it off to a nice straight start is critical, and the tight fit pretty much assures that, with fireformed neck sized cases keeping them concentric to the bore to start. Trial chambering of one of these rounds required stiff pounding with the heel of my hand to ram the bolt home and to close the handle. It was also tight to eject unfired. The bullet had the Alox removed and the lead scrubbed bright for half the length of the exposed nose, It was neither pushed in nor pulled out of the case. The case necks were doubtless a tight squeeze into the chamber, but the brass was unmarked. Lubricated cast bullets cannot "cold weld" to case necks as jacketed ones can, and require no case obturation to let them go. They simply slide out as the pressure rises high enough to overcome the static clamping friction of the case neck. The main resistance is the swaging into the leade and into the rifling. I got out to the range late this afternoon, put up a single target and fired these slow fire with plenty of barrel cooling time in between. My main interest was in seeing whether the bullets would remain intact with the centrifugal force of going ~3000+ FPS in a 10" twist bore BEFORE trying to shoot them over a Chrony, and also to see how badly they'd lead the bore. I'd last set the sights for 200 yards with the custom 200 grain ".30 VLD" driven at 2200 FPS by a charge of IMR 7383. So it was shooting quite high at 100 yards, and most of the group was off of the paper on the backing board. The Mark I calibrated eyeball says it was about a 3" group, not too bad really. That VLD at 2200 FPS cast of oven heat treated, quenched and aged wheelweights gives 2 1/2-3" 200 yard groups. The bore has a uniform gray color with no streaking, pretty much what I'm used to seeing with cast bullets. So while this is nothing to write home about in terms of accuracy, it has potential. I know it won't blow anything up, and the bullet holds together. Sadly, I believe I'll let the CTL-312-160-2R go, because of the tight fit issues. Sizing it down to near the leade size will heavily reduce the grooves between the microbands, I think. I have one of those custom 6 hole Lee moulds for the Ideal #311291 design that was a group buy deal on Cast Boolits a few years ago. I have a bunch sized to .311" for general .30 caliber use, and I think I've sized some to .308" for my K-31 carbine. (If I haven't, I will.) I think I'll try those, lubed heavily with the liquid Alox. They're not as pretty or aerodynamic, but I'll bet they can be made to shoot!

35 shooter
06-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Not bad at all for the first go at it. Nice detail and a good write up. Good luck with it and i will be following this thread. I'm always trying to push the speed up in my whelen if for no other reason, just the fun of it.

runfiverun
06-01-2014, 12:16 AM
good to see you swing by ricochet,,, it HAS been a while.

Ricochet
06-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll post updates. It'll be slow. :smile:

Three44s
06-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Great to see you are back ........ it was always fun to read about your exploits!

Best regards

Three 44s

alrighty
06-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Great post , I have a .308 Norma that I would like to develop a load for shortly.

longbow
06-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Ricochet! Good to see you back!

I am more interested in your 12 ga. RB loads but will follow this one too. I have a soft spot for round ball in 12 ga. Don't know why... can't explain if but I just like them.

I am guessing you want to follow through on this quest with GC cast boolits and not paper patch? I am sure you would easily reach your velocity goal with PP boolits.

I did some calculations on maximum allowable RPM's with cast lead and was surprised at how high it is. IIRC it was over 300,000 RPM... but of course that assumes the boolit is centered in the bore, balanced and the nose doesn't slump. With any kind of long unsupported spire point I suspect there would be problems if the boolit was not pretty much dead center and dead in line with the bore.

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Again, good to see you back.

Longbow

SciFiJim
06-01-2014, 10:10 AM
I just subscribed to the thread. Looking forward to the results.

Charlie Sometimes
06-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Just getting back on the site myself - my divorce put a kink in everything for the last 3 years.
I get jacketed velocities from my cast boolits all the time -2850 fps from my 222 Rem shooting 45 gr. HP's (225415) and getting 10 shot groups at 100 yd. that a dime will cover. :D

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Great writeup Ricochet,
I look forward to more on this subject.
Jon

Echo
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Super writeup, Ricochet. That sets a standard that will be hard to match...

L Ross
06-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Just getting back on the site myself - my divorce put a kink in everything for the last 3 years.
I get jacketed velocities from my cast boolits all the time -2850 fps from my 222 Rem shooting 45 gr. HP's (225415) and getting 10 shot groups at 100 yd. that a dime will cover. :D
Gosh Charlie, care to start a thread detailing your technique to obtain those kind of results? I'd be very interested and grateful to be able to duplicate that performance in my .222. I have a nice Rem. 788, a Lyman 225415. I usually limit the loads to 22 mag. levels that I feel limits me to about 100 yards for nuisance abatement. 2,850 fps should just about double that and thereby handle the longest likely range here on the farm.

runfiverun
06-02-2014, 12:46 PM
just find the centerline of the barrel with the centerline of your boolits.
use boolits that are perfectly matched to each other.
use a powder that will accelerate the boolits to that velocity [with as low of a peak pressure as possible]
match your rifles throat shape as closely as possible with your boolit shape and use one strong enough to withstand the acceleration forces.
this works in other calibers too.
27-2800 in a 222 or 223 is not difficult..

DR Owl Creek
06-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Ricochet,

Keep us posted on how things work out. I'm interested because I have a 300 WSM I want to try cast loads in at some point. I thought, however, it would probably be my candidtate for paper patching.

Dave

madsenshooter
06-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Interesting. I was wondering what happened to you, figured you was just another of the long list of fellows who signed off.

swheeler
06-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Interesting. I was wondering what happened to you, figured you was just another of the long list of fellows who signed off.

He just ricochets through here from time to time when he's not feeding his beard.;)

KYCaster
06-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Your beard changed colors while you were gone.

Jerry

Charlie Sometimes
06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Gosh Charlie, care to start a thread detailing your technique to obtain those kind of results? I'd be very interested and grateful to be able to duplicate that performance in my .222. I have a nice Rem. 788, a Lyman 225415. I usually limit the loads to 22 mag. levels that I feel limits me to about 100 yards for nuisance abatement. 2,850 fps should just about double that and thereby handle the longest likely range here on the farm.

Not meaning to high-jack the post, but will just clear up the question here. Don't think it needs a new thread. I got all my technique here by reading all these other posts over the years.

Don't really know what "technique" there is to add. Runfiverun pretty much covered it, albeit in a different fashion than I would. The right alloy, the right lube, the right size, with a gas check, over a load that does not push unnecessarily, and you'll have it. Every rifle is different, your results will most likely vary to some extent.

I use 23 gr. of Varget (a starting load), CCI small rifle primer, various brand cases, and the boolit is 1/1000th over bore, lubed sufficiently slick and stable enough to get the boolit all the way to the end of the barrel (why more?), and no flawed boolits. Powder must generate lowest pressure for fastest velocity in any load. A few powders can meet that requirement. I think that is basically about it.

L Ross
06-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Ricochet, glad to see you are posting again. Good luck with you Weatherby project. I don't want to hi-jack your topic so I will just drop it now and perhaps open a new thread.

Duke

jonp
06-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Great write-up!

alamogunr
06-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I have missed your unique approach to cast boolits. Occasionally I go back to some of your posts on the K31.

I don't have a .300 Weatherby, but I will be looking forward to your progress.

Duckiller
06-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Welcome back! You have been missed.

MaryB
06-06-2014, 12:19 AM
In my Mosin that cast bullet is great. Lee would make a custom die at .308 or .309 I bet with the same profile...

popper
06-06-2014, 01:47 AM
maximum allowable RPM's with cast lead and was surprised at how high it is. How does one calculate that?

pdawg_shooter
06-06-2014, 11:06 AM
I went about it a bit differently. A300RUM and a paper patched 311284 sized .3015 and patched back up. Protect the bullet against deformation during acceleration and the RPM limit doesn't matter much.