PDA

View Full Version : Swaging for the rest of us...

mannyCA
05-31-2014, 11:09 PM
I've been thinking about how to swage without buying caliber specific dies because, well, I guess I'll say it, I'm broke:-(.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting any of the die makers, I recognize they do make exquisite and precise tools and that they do come at a price.

With that said...

I started using a mauser rifle full length die body I've had laying around, along with some pure lead from my muzzle loading shoots and an old lyman 40 cal mold, begged and borrowed some brass and finally got the old BH shooting again. Figured out a way to do a number of other calibers and thought that rather posting it in the swaging forum (where, I might add, I got inspired. Thanks guys!!) I'd post it here where more people might see it and say what I said which was, "Hey! I have those things laying around, I possibly could do that". So I did.
Thought you might want to see how I did it so I put up a video. If anyone else has any ideas on using existing components to make magic I'd sure love to pick your brain. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2Ad3k3kgg

I figured that the FC brass was the best/most consistently weighted for making 240 grain projectiles with the lyman 170 grain 40 cal mold.

Tatume
06-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Very nicely done. Thank you.

Ironduke
06-02-2014, 10:59 AM
That's cool. I have a 475 cal rifle. It would be awesome to be able to make plinking bullets from 45 ACP cases. They have a nominal head diameter of .473. With the addition of 350 gr soft Pb core, they would be up near 400-450 gr probably, though I don't know the normal weight of a 45 ACP case off the top of my head. I just don't know what dies I'd use for swaging. The Mauser family including the '06 family and its progeny have the .473 case head size, but taper toward the shoulder. So my bullets wouldn't end up at .473 if I pressed them into any of these dies.

I know I can order the Lee push through die from their custom shop for $35 or so. No biggie. That gets me the ability to swage the bullets down to the .473 diameter to allow a .001 spring-back. But how do I get the bullet swelled up to say .475 or so so it will squeeze down evenly? What rifle die can I use? Any ideas?

I am thinking something as mundane as the 284 Win would work. The shoulder diameter is .474 on that round. Plus it's a short action cartridge so the die won't be too tall. The sharp shoulder will give me an abrupt, wide meplat to boot. Hmmmm. This idea is gaining momentum!!

jakec
06-02-2014, 12:06 PM
nice video thanks man.

rockrat
06-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Ironduke----looks like the 284 might be just what you want, .475" at the shoulder. Have someone cut off the die, so you can put your case in a shellholder and just work the last bit of the case/neck area to form the nose of the bullet. Might work great.

MrWolf
06-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Nice job - thanks

Gun_nut83
06-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Nice job, I don't have a .44 mag but when I get one I know I will never run out of ammo for it. I just need to find something like this for my 9mm besides PC boolits. They're nice but to be able to shoot a jacketed bullet would be twice as nice. :goodpost: :awesome:

mannyCA
06-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Nice job, I don't have a .44 mag but when I get one I know I will never run out of ammo for it. I just need to find something like this for my 9mm besides PC boolits. They're nice but to be able to shoot a jacketed bullet would be twice as nice. :goodpost: :awesome:

I know what you mean, 9mm seems to be the hardest to find an ample supply to swage for. 380 will work, but is not as common as say 40 cal. and might just be cheaper to buy jacketed for the 9.

Iron Duke, I think your right on with using the 284, try it out and report back.