PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question....

NSP64
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
What to do with a cayote when you shoot em? Do you just harvest the hide?

Johnch
01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
If the hide is in good shape

Some times we just stick them under a brush pile
As here in Ohio they want them DEAD and you can hunt them almost 24/7/365 with no limmits

They are a varmit

John

NSP64
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
same here in ILL.:-D A co-worker invited me to come out to his place to shoot as many as I wanted:drinks: I figure it might lead to possible deer hunting if I erradicate some for him. just didn't know if there was anything worth salvaging.

freedom475
01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
The winter Coyote pelts are sure worth saveing...Make very nice wall hangers and I got $45 for the nice pale ones I skinned last year. (raw hide) not even tanned:mrgreen:

There's a pack of 8 coyotes that kill 1 whitail every single night in our hayfield right now. Bones everywhere.... The river bottom meadows look like the Serongette... theres one deer herd that lives in the open and has just over 200 animals in it ....The coyotes bed right in the herd with the deer.

NSP64
01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
The winter Coyote pelts are sure worth saveing...Make very nice wall hangers and I got $45 for the nice pale ones I skinned last year. (raw hide) not even tanned:mrgreen:

The coyotes bed right in the herd with the deer.

Yea his are getting pretty ballsy- comming right up to the back of his house. where would you sell them? add in newspaper/craigslist

Slowpoke
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM

If the fur is prime and you feel like skinning, and you know how and what to do with it.

If you think you want to skin it do it while the body is still warm, much easier than when cold.

If you have a bunch of chickens you can 1/4 it up and hang the 1/4's 6 or 8 inches of the ground and they will clean it to the bone, good protein.

Or you can cut it up and boil it with corn chops and wheat bran and feed it to your hounds best to do it outside as coyote stinks when it cooks.

You can remove the bladder and the anal glands and save them in a glass jar and you will have the best coyote lure for trapping that there is, again if you know how and what to do with it.

If you live where the winter's are mild and the ground don't freeze to bad you can pick you a good spot and dig you a grave for the coyote but before you cover it up stick a 3/8's or 1/2 " pipe or tubing down between the ribs and just long enough that when it covered up the tubing is about a 1 " out of the ground then bury you a couple of traps with drags and you will have a set that will last all season. Get you 15 or 20 of these out in good area's and you will be busy keeping your skinning knifes sharp.

A dead coyote is a good coyote

Some of the best times in my life has been hunting coyotes.

good luck

MT Gianni
01-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Yea his are getting pretty ballsy- comming right up to the back of his house. where would you sell them? add in newspaper/craigslist

Call your state Fish and game and ask if there is a trappers association in your area. Ask one of them when there is a fur sale or a fur buyer coming to the area.At the very least you can co-op your furs to someone that ships to the seattle Fur Exchange or like wise. Gianni

KCSO
01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Mostly we sell the hides in season unless they are mangy, then we bury them. When I was younger coyote hunting and trapping was Christmas money for the family. I really hat e to shoot them unless i am hide hunting or I have to thin them out due to their eating habits. In sheep country here they can play havoc with a flock of sheep as they will chase them till they die of exhaustion and eat one and leave 5 lay. The only thing worse is a wild dog and they will chase a whole flock to death for fun.

EMC45
01-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I have no real interest in hunting coyotes, but once again the level of knowledge on this sight is awesome!!! There is such a varied blend of interests and experience, and that's what makes this place so cool!!

RugerFan
01-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Coyotes eat a lot of fawns and turkeys. Not only is varmint hunting fun, but you do game animals a service as well. If you are inclined, there are a number of do-it-yourself tanning kits available. I tanned a fox hide a few years ago and it turned out great.

piwo
01-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Perhaps ask one of your local Chinese resturants. They may have a solution...:-D

SWIAFB
01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
You sell the pelt,if it is a good one. One early December day in 1975,I started on a fresh track about 7 in the morning.Had a 22-250 built on a Mannlichter action 6 power weaver and 8 rounds of reloads. My father came looking for me, tracks crossing the section roads, about 3 that afternoon. I was on my sixth coyote at that time. Needless to say he shot it before I did. I got five that day and he got one. I had skinned my five and had stached the hides when I crossed a road, 17 miles, six shots. Furbuyer paid us $238.00 for the six hides. That was a lot of money for a teenager for one days enjoyment in 1975. South-West Iowa Farm Boy

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I sure am glad somebodyelse is thinning the little buggers out. Those demon sponded rascals will wipe out the rabbit hunting for miles. Do what you want with the hides, but make sure none of them survive.

waksupi
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
You sell the pelt,if it is a good one. One early December day in 1975,I started on a fresh track about 7 in the morning.Had a 22-250 built on a Mannlichter action 6 power weaver and 8 rounds of reloads. My father came looking for me, tracks crossing the section roads, about 3 that afternoon. I was on my sixth coyote at that time. Needless to say he shot it before I did. I got five that day and he got one. I had skinned my five and had stached the hides when I crossed a road, 17 miles, six shots. Furbuyer paid us $238.00 for the six hides. That was a lot of money for a teenager for one days enjoyment in 1975. South-West Iowa Farm Boy

I grew up around the Amana colonies, and had some great hunting east of you. Wish the prices were still as good, as they were in the 70's!

Four Fingers of Death
01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
When I asked my dad a silly question he used to say, 'trouble with silly questions, is that you sometimes get silly answers.'

We had a sign at the last jail I worked at that said:

'Silly questions, better than silly mistakes.' I kinda like that one.
Mick.

kycrawler
01-16-2008, 07:46 PM
i sold 38 hides monday and got an average of $22 each for stretched and dried , coon brought $15 each some were shot and some were trapped would like to have trapped more but the ground has been freezing too much to keep the traps working trapping and shooting nuisance coyotes has opened up alot of hunting areas for me 1 farmer i worked for paid $100 each for every dead coyote killed on his place i killed 12 in the first 2 weeks and he gave me $200 and 1/2 of a beef , been good friends ever since some of the most fun hunting and shooting i have ever had has been hunting coyotes

Single Shot
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Never waste the meat.

You can use any jerky recipe.

Or for a crock pot, try this one.

2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook for 8 hours. YUMMY!!

gon2shoot
02-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Not sure I'm up for yote stew, but if you want to work with the hides some there are "craft shops" that pay more than the going hide rate.