PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake at the range

fastfire
05-31-2014, 01:18 PM
This was last evening at the local shooting range next to a shooting bench, it no longer crawls.
Out of all the years I have used the range and the last 5 years that I have done the maintance there this is the first Rattlesnake seen there.
Lately I see 106637bullsnakes 2-3 times a week but leave them be.

Beau Cassidy
05-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Bang!

fastfire
05-31-2014, 01:24 PM
bang!

yep!..

jmort
05-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Just got one on patio yesterday. Hated to expend a CCI Velocitor on it, but it worked real good.

osteodoc08
05-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Too close for me.

Typically I leave all snakes alone. If on my property or where my family is, if they're poisonous, they are dispatched. Otherwise they are removed peacefully, but typically go on their own way without fanfare.

ph4570
05-31-2014, 03:46 PM
When found on my property I use a shovel to whack off their head. Sometimes I'll use a pellet gun for head shot if I am feeling sporty. There have not been any (discovered) this year. Some years there is a bumper crop.

Beerd
05-31-2014, 05:29 PM
save ammo, use a shovel.

TheDoctor
05-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Just got one on patio yesterday. Hated to expend a CCI Velocitor on it, but it worked real good.

Not a bad trade for dinner! Rattlesnake is GOOD.

Parson
05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Tried it once, didn't think it was anything to brag about, the BBQ sauce made it tolerable

Hogdaddy
05-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Tried it once, didn't think it was anything to brag about, the BBQ sauce made it tolerable

My guess, It was'nt cooked right// Ones I tasted were great ; )
H/D

fastfire
05-31-2014, 09:05 PM
save ammo, use a shovel.

It's a shoot'n range I SHOT IT!!!

flint45
05-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Were i shoot there are sowe preety big ratlers i always look around before i shoot . Dont want any sneaking up on me!

MaryB
05-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Kinda tastes like dry fishy chicken to me... in Minnesota they are trying to boost the populations back to what they used to be. I am fine without them!

Frank46
05-31-2014, 11:45 PM
One of the ranges I used to visit was next to a rice field. Sometimes you had to be very careful where you walked. Seen cotton mouths and water moccasins laying there in the sun. Frank

smokeywolf
06-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Crawling hatband.

canyon-ghost
06-01-2014, 12:17 AM

TC Contender with 45/410 barrel and #4 shot at 25 feet, kills them dead enough when it cuts their head off. Good going, I do that kind of maintenance at our range sometimes. It's snakes or skunks or rats. Somebody has to make 'em safe, may as well be us.

fastfire
06-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Todays sighting close to 4'er

obssd1958
06-01-2014, 12:49 AM
Is this at the Emmett range??

Col4570
06-01-2014, 03:08 AM
What is the procedure when you get Snake bit.In the UK we have two types of Snake the Grass Snake non poisonous and the Adder poisonous.Both are usualy shy and avoid people.The Adder can deliver a fairly toxic punch but not very lethal unless you have health issues.

fastfire
06-01-2014, 03:17 AM
is this at the emmett range??

yup..

jmort
06-01-2014, 03:23 AM
"What is the procedure when you get Snake bit"

Assuming a "wet" bite from a rattlesnake, a life flight to hospital, at least in my area of So Cal. Loma Linda Hospital is the best place to go. You don't wait. Then CroFab anti-venom, possible fasciotomy (slit open affected limb) and a $100,00.00 plus bill.

6bg6ga
06-01-2014, 07:18 AM
The only good snake is a dead snake.

foesgth
06-01-2014, 08:17 AM
What is the procedure when you get Snake bit.In the UK we have two types of Snake the Grass Snake non poisonous and the Adder poisonous.Both are usualy shy and avoid people.The Adder can deliver a fairly toxic punch but not very lethal unless you have health issues.

Here is the procedure published by my club.

Snakebite Treatment & Prevention- Policy Review

TREATMENT - IF YOU ARE BITTEN BY A RATTLESNAKE - TREATMENT

1. Get to safety, and away from the snake. Protect the person and others from further bites.

2. Call 911 immediately, and get help on the way. (If you call from a landline, your location is displayed to 911. If you call from a cell phone it goes through the CHP 911 dispatcher in Sacramento and this will take more time.) . Use others to assist you if they are present and able. Responding quickly in this type of emergency is crucial. While waiting for emergency assistance.

3. Keep the person calm. Remain calm yourself. Panic is infectious and compromises judgment. Acute stress reaction increases blood flow and endangers the person. Keep the victim still and calm to lower the heart rate. Monitor breathing and heart rate.

4. If possible TRANSPORT VICTIM IMMEDIATELY or meet EMTs at a rendezvous point in transit to a TRAUMA CENTER. It is preferable to bring transport to the victim or carry the victim to transportation during initial treatment. If the victim must move or walk to transportation have them remain still & calm for 15-20 minutes and then move slowly enough to keep the heart rate low. This step is to allow the venom to settle in just the bite area. Panic, exertion, or raising the victim’s heart rate will cause fresh venom to move to other areas of the body much faster. This should be avoided if possible.

5. Keep the wound lower than the heart – Immobilize a bitten arm or leg - Apply direct pressure to the wound - Cleanse the wound. Use only soap and water to cleanse but do not flush the bite with water then cover it with a clean, dry compress dressing.

6. Do not administer stimulants or pain medications, unless specifically directed to do so by a physician. Do not give the person anything to eat or drink. This is especially important with consumable alcohol, a known vasodilator which will speed up the absorption of venom.
Stay as quiet as possible to keep the poison from spreading through your body.

7. Remove all rings, watches, and constrictive clothing, in case of swelling. Do not use a tourniquet or apply ice. Apply a splint to reduce limb movement of the affected area but do not to restrict blood flow.

8. Do not cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom through any means. Never attempt sucking the venom from the wound by mouth or by using a suction devise.

Do not try to capture the snake, but try to remember its color and shape so you can describe it, which will help in your treatment. It is helpful to remember what the snake looks like, its size, and the type of snake if you know it, in order to inform the emergency room staff.

Note the time of the bite so that it can be reported to an emergency room physician if needed. If possible, try to remember to draw a circle around the affected area and mark the time of the bite and the initial reaction. If you are able, redraw the circle around the site of injury marking the progression of time. It is helpful to remember what the snake looks like, its size, and the type of snake if you know it, in order to inform the emergency room staff.

All rattlesnake venom has protein venom designed to kill its prey and also is the first step in its digestion. The venom starts to break down (eat) the prey's tissue. Some rattlesnakes have venom that is also a neuro-toxin which is designed to shut down breathing and stop the heart.

Keeping the wound below the heart, staying calm, applying pressure to the wound and a loose splint will help prevent the bloodstream from moving venom to major organs and muscles, which can be fatal. The reasons for calm and stillness is to let the venom settle in just the bite area. Panic, exertion or raising the victim’s heart rate will pump fresh venom via the circulatory system to major organs and muscles, which it will then begin to shut down or digest (eat).

TaylorS
06-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Hack saw to the effected limb and a hot poker to cartarize the wound then 2 shots of wild turkey or better and get back to shooting!

Prospector Howard
06-02-2014, 10:05 AM
REALLY!!! You mean to tell me that there are still people out there that don't understand that snakes eat rodents, mice and rats and vermin that carry disease like hantavirus. Snakes are a blessing sent from God to keep the population of vermin down. I guess some people like rats and mice and disease better.
The only good snake is a dead snake.

jmort
06-02-2014, 10:13 AM
I think most sane people will only dispatch rattlesnakes around their homes. All non-poisonous snakes are great to have around. Lot of King snakes around my house. Beautiful and graceful.

firefly1957
06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
I have nothing against snakes but our stupid lawmakers here made it illegal to kill our pigmy rattlers ! I think anyone or their pets bit should get 100% repaid for all loses from the state.

Pb2au
06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
This was last evening at the local shooting range next to a shooting bench, it no longer crawls.
Out of all the years I have used the range and the last 5 years that I have done the maintance there this is the first Rattlesnake seen there.
Lately I see 106637bullsnakes 2-3 times a week but leave them be.

So, what was he shooting? Handgun, rifle, what? How was his grouping?

opos
06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
One of the ranges in our area has had warnings on the newsletter about the snake situation..this year has been a really bad one for rattlers and they are out in big numbers...I grew up in an area with lots of rattlers..do not like them in any form...I just don't go where they are out in numbers....older guy with one artificial knee and if that leg get's bit I'm going to lose the leg or worse...Shooting at the pistol range now for a while.

Cactus Farmer
06-02-2014, 12:08 PM
"Protect the person and others from further bites." quoted from range rules above......

So, shoot 'em? I like the nonpoisonous ones , rattlers are dead. The Bull snakes are good with rodents too.

AlaskanGuy
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Shoot, that looks like a yummy meal to me... Them rattlers are grand fried up... Once skinned, just dice them up into 2 inch chunks, batter same way you would do a trout, and fry them puppies up with some taters and onions.... Yum yum... Ate many many many of them like that before i came to alaska..... A real treat... :)