PDA

View Full Version : Hi there! New to the forum

bobthewelder
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm waiting on my Lyman Master Caster kit. Here is what I do have, not sure of the capacity but it says Ozark No. 8 on the bottom. Bought the ladle at an antique/junk store for $10. about a year ago. Had no idea why at the time, kinda funny how those things pan out. I also have a Coleman camp stove and a turkey fryer burner leftover from my brewing days. I would have to make a frame, no big deal. The other brinkman burners became forge burners when I gave up brewing. Great burners they are and can be had for about $15. direct from Brinkman

testhop
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
any thing you dont know there are someone here will and all you have ask and you will get the help you need
with the kit you are on the right track
you never said what you are going to cast for hand gun or rifle

Powderpacker
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
The other brinkman burners became forge burners when I gave up brewing. Great burners they are and can be had for about $15. direct from Brinkman
"Forge" for blacksmithing, maybe? I have a couple of anvils but I haven't been able to find or create a forge . Tell me more, please. And welcome to the forum - not only is this the world's greatest repository of casting (and shooting) information but you will also find wealth of knowledge and interest in areas outside of casting .

bobthewelder
01-13-2008, 09:50 PM
My anvil is pathetic, but it's all I have. The forge is made from just stacking firebrick, every session needs a different configuration. I drilled a hole through one of those super lightwight firebricks to install my burner through. I make mostly ornamental stuff, most can be seen at Shop Floor Talk under the same screen name as I use here. I have a couple of old propane bottles that will be turned into forges this winter as time allows. A wealth of information can be found at http://anvilfire.com/. In a pinch, and actually faster on small projects, I use my oxy/acetelyne setup to heat for forging.

bobthewelder
01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorry about that, mostly .45 Automatic, with some 7.5x55 Swiss and 7.64x54R.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
any thing you dont know there are someone here will and all you have ask and you will get the help you need
with the kit you are on the right track
you never said what you are going to cast for hand gun or rifle

Powderpacker
01-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the info and the links.

bobthewelder
01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm usually shy about asking, but it was Wal-Marts second attempt at fixing my flat tire caused by a wood screw. I was hanging out waiting for them to get it together around shop closing time and I asked about weel weights. They gave me everything they had at the time, which is a 2.5 gallon plastic bucket full. Nice guys, at least when the managers have gone home for the day.

osage
01-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Welcome. Sounds like you've done better then most by scoring WW at walmart.

bobthewelder
01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I also scored 9 lead? mallets from work, when they become too deformed and flattened on both sides the scrap them. Plus I can have all the free lead I want from my local indoor range. Only problem is I have to pick out all the garbage mixed in with it, much like my .45 Auto brass, free but a chore.

osage
01-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Bob, free lead is a good thing :mrgreen: The worst free lead I got was from a guy that had burned a large number of old windows/frame with counter weights still in them. Spend a lot of time messing with the left over charcoal in that pile. Little did I know that carbon based stuff is a good flux.
I decided to use a snow pile as a boolit trap, then I remembered that pile was pushed up from an area that the dogs use :(. Collecting those spent boolits may be more of chore that I thought.