PDA

View Full Version : New M1 Garand Criterion Barrel question

birddog1148
05-31-2014, 09:21 AM
My new Criterion barrel is scheduled to be delivered today and will quickly make a trip to a highly regarded gunsmith in Oak Harbor oh to be installed. Should I slug this barrel or just start sizing my boolits to 309 and start there? Hopefully it is done and back in time to practice with it for the John C Garand match. Any tips on breaking tips on this new barrel?

lancem
05-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Since it wouldn't take long to slug it I would do it before it goes to the smith. I made that same assumption with a new Rem 700 308 and was pulling hair till I did slug and find I needed to be sizing to 310.

madsenshooter
05-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Yes slug it, I know Criterion's Krag barrels had a larger groove diameter than many expected, least the first run the CMP sold.

wiljen
05-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Id slug it and chamber cast it. Always good to know your throat geometry when deciding on seating depths.

Jack Stanley
05-31-2014, 02:44 PM
If you're rifle will be done at master Yoda's errr ... I mean Mark K's shop . check your serial number when he calls you for pickup . He does have a sense of humor and tried it when I left a 1903 in his shop to be rebarreled with a new old stock barrel I had . When I went in for pickup he handed me a low number Springfield with a sewer pipe barrel and a straight stock . So , just to toss a little humor back to his hiding a smirk face . I was all happy about it and praised him for his outstanding ability to convert a high number Springfield with a new "C" stock and new barrel in to this !

He said he played the joke on a guy who didn't even look and he had to stop him at the door before he left with the shops scrap .

Mark is quite a character and does very good work .

Jack

Der Gebirgsjager
05-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Definitely do it first. Hard to slug a barrel once it's mounted on the M1's receiver because you'd have to do it from the muzzle end. I think you'll be happy with your Criterion barrel. I barreled up four receivers last winter. So far have shot two of them with 150 gr. FMJs /48 gr. IMR 4895/CCI LRPs/new R-P brass. One is giving 1 1/2 in. groups at 100 yds., the other is running about 2 in.

country gent
05-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Look at Kriegers web site they had a break in procedure posted I used. 1 round clean for 5 rounds if jacket foulingis present repeat if not 2 rounds and clean 5 times same test as before. 3 rounds and clean 5 times. test/soak. 5 rounds and clean here I varied some and soaked each time. ten 10 rounds soak tet to 100 rds total fired.

Gtek
05-31-2014, 06:13 PM
I do a little ritual before mounting, pushing a hundred times chamber out with JB on patch over nylon brush. I have no way to confirm added benefit but I feel better. Guide in chamber and one steady push out, unscrew/repeat changing patch every five.

country gent
05-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Look at Kriegers web site they had a break in procedure posted I used. 1 round clean for 5 rounds if jacket foulingis present repeat if not 2 rounds and clean 5 times same test as before. 3 rounds and clean 5 times. test/soak. 5 rounds and clean here I varied some and soaked each time. ten 10 rounds soak tet to 100 rds total fired.

birddog1148
05-31-2014, 06:19 PM
If you're rifle will be done at master Yoda's errr ... I mean Mark K's shop . check your serial number when he calls you for pickup . He does have a sense of humor and tried it when I left a 1903 in his shop to be rebarreled with a new old stock barrel I had . When I went in for pickup he handed me a low number Springfield with a sewer pipe barrel and a straight stock . So , just to toss a little humor back to his hiding a smirk face . I was all happy about it and praised him for his outstanding ability to convert a high number Springfield with a new "C" stock and new barrel in to this !

He said he played the joke on a guy who didn't even look and he had to stop him at the door before he left with the shops scrap .

Mark is quite a character and does very good work .

Jack

Yes indeed Mark has my rifle, thanks for the heads up! He said there were a couple rifles in front of mine but I would have it back in plenty of time for the John C Garand Match. I didn't have the barrel long enough to slug it, pretty much got it and left for his shop. He gauged it and the new barrel was a 0 at the muzzle and a 0 at the chamber but that the chamber measurement would change after he was done. He recommended I be at the CMP Thursday morning for a shipment they have going on sale. I stopped by there on the way home and found a M1D that spoke to me. I borrowed a gage from them and went through all the rifles I could afford, a few were 1's one was under and the one I fell for was just over a one and the chamber was a 2 1/2. Bob behind the counter told me it was a real low round count barrel and decided to take it. Funny thing is that my background check was delayed, its funny because I am an FFL holder. Mike there said it was because I was a FFL holder that it was delayed and they would call me next week when it comes back and I could go pick it up.
So it looks like I will be slugging 2 garands. Thanks for the advice!

Jack Stanley
05-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Have Mark show you his "match rahfle" he put together using a trap door action a twenty round box magazine and ............ You will get a laugh .

Jack

Nobade
06-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Since no one has mentioned it, I would ask him for the dimensions of the throat on the reamer he is going to use to set the final headspace. That will tell you what diameter your boolits need to be.

-Nobade

birddog1148
06-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Since no one has mentioned it, I would ask him for the dimensions of the throat on the reamer he is going to use to set the final headspace. That will tell you what diameter your boolits need to be.

-Nobade
Thank you!

CriterionBarrels
06-02-2014, 02:34 PM
My new Criterion barrel is scheduled to be delivered today and will quickly make a trip to a highly regarded gunsmith in Oak Harbor oh to be installed. Should I slug this barrel or just start sizing my boolits to 309 and start there? Hopefully it is done and back in time to practice with it for the John C Garand match. Any tips on breaking tips on this new barrel?

For some break-in suggestions feel free to stop by our website and read the below article:

http://criterionbarrels.com/media/barrel-break-in-procedure

birddog1148
06-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks!