PDA

View Full Version : Odd request for non gun related ferrous metal

Joe504
05-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Here is an odd problem. My wife wants to make and sell a storage solution for makeup. She has a lot of ideas and is on her way to prototyping a few things. The one problem she cannot figure out is this, how to make a maganetic or ferrous metal back for the powders and eye shadows? She wants to make a board that these can be attached to. These come in a variety of sizes, from about 2 inches to about an inch and a half in diameter. The hard part is there needs to be a way to read the label on the center back of the powder.

Here's what we have tried:
Magnets glued on. Result is they come off and they are messy to glue on. This might wind up being our only option.

Sheet magnet. Not strong enough, if a hole is cut the leave room to view the label.

Washers. Cannot find enough sizes to fit different containers and not block label on back.

What we are interested in is something like a hose clamp that can be fitted around a variety of products, will not leave sharp edges, and will stick to the maganetic board we create.

I would love to hear your ideas!

Help us out hive mind!

blademasterii
05-30-2014, 04:25 PM
http://camarush.com/custom-mounts/squidpops-magnetic-suction-cup-adapter

shooter93
05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Small rare earth magnets. They are quite strong and I'd find it hard to imagine that a Google search wouldn't turn up the right glue. These days there are glues for everything. The tiles were glued on the space shuttles so there is something out there that would work I'm sure. Might be costly but factor in the very small amount needed for each one.

SciFiJim
05-30-2014, 10:13 PM
How about making the board magnetic and the containers ferrous?

MaryB
05-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Use scotch Ultra High Bond double sided tape to hold small rare earth magnets on. I used ot to mount a 2 foot long T slot on my telescope tube that weighs 40 pounds and I can lift the scope with the track.

Blammer
05-31-2014, 10:38 AM
velcro?

WILCO
05-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Epoxy. Like J.B. Weld.........

WallyM3
05-31-2014, 02:16 PM
velcro?

Ditto.

Joe504
05-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. We're working on a few things and will let yall know what we come up with

Bulldogger
06-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I second the magnetic board, or magnetic strip on a board, and epoxy a cheap steel washer to the bottom of the (likely Al or Zi) makeup cups.
Bulldogger

archmaker
06-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Just outside the box thought (or maybe inside) but why not put a small rare earth on the inside and metal washer or something similar but small to keep it there. That way once they get to the bottom they never know the magnet is there, maybe a flat magnet.

BD
06-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I second the idea of VHB tape and small rare earth magnets. You'll be surprised how strong this is. If you don't think the system will work, stay out of new public buildings. A lot of access panels for the mechanical equipment in the ceiling over your head is held on this way. A double magnet setup using RE magnets 3/4" in diameter and an 3/16" thick can carry 75lbs.

MaryB
06-02-2014, 10:58 PM
The VHB tape is what they use to attach body panels to cars now... very very strong if the surface is oil free