PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan Blue Streak

richhodg66
05-29-2014, 09:47 PM
I used to really want one of these as a kid. Seems like they were the most powerful thing going in the air rifle world then. Are the 5mm pellets still commonly available now? What kinds of things go wrong with the over time and is someone out there still servicing them (seals and such)?

HARRYMPOPE
05-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes the JSB is a very good pellet made now.the current Benjamin cylinders don't shoot that well.the Crow magnums also shoot well.get an older one with thumb saftey if you can.the newer ones font get the speed of the originals.Ollie Damon's in Portland Oregon fixes them for about $60 and shopping.

Cmm_3940
05-29-2014, 10:31 PM
The pellets are still available, made by Benjamin. I got some at Cabela's.

Beagle333
05-29-2014, 10:40 PM
I got an old one (my grandfather's) and it has the thumb safety. I had the seals replaced and it shoots like it was new! It'll roll a squirrel and tumble a 'monk!
You can buy the seal kits and do it yourself, but I had a pro do mine.

rking22
05-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Good choice ,like others I suggest finding a vintage thumb safety or rocker safety. They don't cost any more than the new ones and the build quality is pure 1950s. All brass ,steel and walnut and they shoot very well. There are several people across the country that repair them and have parts. They are simple and therefore can be kept operating indefinately. The 5mm /20cal pellets are available. Pyrimid air and others on the web have a bewildering array of top quality pellets. Crossman premiers shoot well but HN field target specials have been great for me. I layed in a good supply of both several years ago so my info on prices ect would be dated.
I have precharged , gas ram (Theoben), spring guns too but the one I shoot the most these days is an early sixties thumb safety blue streak. Just relaxing !
As far as what goes wrong, just seals , easy to replace and if you keep 1 pump in it all the time they last a loooong time!

HARRYMPOPE
05-29-2014, 11:49 PM
The premiers are sadly discontinued.

GhostHawk
05-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Sitting on a pair of Sheridan's and a nice pile of pellets here.

Ok so maybe in some respects the new PCP's outclass them.

But, I don't have to shell out money to a dive shop to shoot my Sheridan.
It is fast enough, and deadly enough, I don't need to chase speed and power. If the job needs more than the Sheridan can deliver you have the wrong tool, grab a scoped .22lr or centerfire rifle and be done with it.

For the price IMO you can't beat them. You can still find them for about 120-150$, I recently acquired a newer one for 130$ plus shipping, and considered myself lucky.

In 40+ years my dog has died, women have come and gone, trucks have gone belly up, but my Sheridan has never failed me. In a couple of cases it sat there for 10 years, until I had a need for it, drop in a pellet, 3-4 pumps, and it shot, and hit what it was aimed at.

On average mine has gotten 2-3 drops of oil per decade.

And it continues to shoot, and shoot accurately, with controllable power.

grizzlyadams
05-30-2014, 08:49 AM
they are a great gun. i have a silver and blue, both rocker safety.nice and light and will put small game on the table, unfortunately they were "cheapafied " by crosman in the years since they bought them out, then discontinued last year. you can find older ones used on the classified oftenwhich is the way to go.

richhodg66
05-30-2014, 01:32 PM
A LGS has one for $89. I was surprised what a nice piece of walnut was on a pellet rifle.

What are these bringing nowadays? Are the scope mounts still available for them (seems like they had a unique mount that grabbed a fat part of the barrel, not standard tip off)?

HARRYMPOPE
05-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Good price.usually over $100 even if they need a reseal.

rking22
05-30-2014, 06:34 PM
I would grab it. I did't know they had been discontinued, not enough plastic content I guess.

They have been drilled and tapped for a reciever sight for many many years. I would go that way insead of a scope. THe scope mounts can "seperate" the barrel from the pump tube, pretty much a fatal error for the rifle. I have a newer one with a scope , scout style and a Burris 5/8 tube mounted in very "one off" mounts I made on a wire edm. I really don't shoot it much better than my thumb safety with the standard sights. It predates the drill and tapped ones. I think the sight is a williams . below from Midway website:
"Williams 5D-SH Receiver Peep Sight Benjamin 340, 342, 347,392, 397, Sheridan"
Too bad about the Premiers , glad I put away a stash!

richhodg66
05-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, I'll have to go back and get it, then. Should make for a fun plinker in the basement of nothing else.

Beagle333
05-30-2014, 07:23 PM
You'd enjoy it. It'll harvest fuzzies of all sizes for you too, if you want. :D

richhodg66
06-05-2014, 01:41 PM
I picked this one up, looks good.

The safety has "S on the right side and "F" on the left side of the receiver, I take it that this is the rocker safety mentioned earlier?

It does indeed have two holes for a receiver sight. I'll try it with the stock sights first, but I really do better with a peep.

Now to research pellets and sources.

hiram
06-05-2014, 03:24 PM
I bought from Pyramid Air:

a tin of varmint pellets -- plastic pointed like some jacketed bullets.
a receiver sight for the blue streak. Requires drill and tap 2 holes.
Beeman package of 20mm felt cleaning pellets. take 2 or 3 and moisten with a cleaner and shoot them through.
Don't buy the scope mount -- a scope on the rifle makes pumping awkward.

HARRYMPOPE
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
The new Benjamin domes didnt shots well as the Beeman Crow Magnums in mine.

ghh3rd
06-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Interesting thread!

I had a Crosman 1400 pump .22 pellet rifle that I bought in the early 1970's that I loved. Must have put a "million" pellets through it. I almost cried when someone broke in and took it in the 90's. I found a like new one exactly like it a few years back, sent it in for resealing, and it's back to having fun in the yard (no basement in Florida).

Lately I've been looking around for an old Blue Streak in 20 caliber, maybe 5mm. I would also like to put a peep sight on it -- have to try a peep first though since my old eyes are getting pretty tired.

By the way this target is fun, and comes with inserts to make the bullseye hole smaller http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/gamo-squirrel-target-trap.aspx?a=275763

rking22
06-06-2014, 05:25 PM
You're gonna like it, that is a rocker safety. Check that it holds air , 4 pumps and wait an hour before loading and shooting . If it shoots like it was fresh pumped you are good to go on the valve seals. The bolt uses an oring that can be found at a parts house and the pump cup could probably use a single drop of "pelgun oil" or any light oil.
HN field target trophys shoot really well in all of mine. they weigh about 12 grains and can be found at pyrimid air and other online sights.
Have fun and PICTURES!

T-Bird
06-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Had a friend in high school , whose family had more money than most of us did. He had a Sheridan Blue Streak that he said was the "Cadillac of the pellet guns". We were all shooting Crosmans but all wanted a "Cadillac". Saved my yard cuttin' money and in 1970 went to Phenix City Al and bought me a "Cadillac" at a pawn shop for around 75$ can't remember. I have killed squirrels, doves, Wild quail, Ducks (on the water) and am presently using it for chipmunk control in my yard. I rigged a scope on it because I can't see the sights any more. Love my "Cadillac". Shoot Straight, T-Bird

missionary5155
06-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Greetings
Just got mine out of storage today. Bought it in Chattanooga in 1978 for $35. Came with a receiver sight attached and the scope mount. Never did put a scope on nor wanted to. That receiver sight turns the Blue Streak into a fine "sniper" rifle for pigeons and trouble some bluejays.
Now just have to find my pellets.
Mike in ILLinois

richhodg66
06-14-2014, 11:14 PM
OK, looking at the Pyramid Air web site, lots of pellets. Any recommendations? What is most accurate for targets? What has best terminal performance for small game?

I'm gonna look into the Williams receiver sight too, but I want to shoot it stock first and see if I need to upgrade or not. I generally shoot a lot better with just about any peep sight.

GhostHawk
06-15-2014, 10:15 AM
I am shooting "Benjamin" 5mm 14.3 gr. pellets. They are almost like the old "trash can" pellets, but have slightly swooped in sides.

They seem to shoot exactly the same as the few trashcan pellets I have left.

I have never spent the money for the more expensive "Crow Magnum's" etc, but there are several online sources for airguns nowadays.

If I was hunting for my table I'd probably be considering these first, as they are significantly heavier.
Eun Jin .20 Cal, 23.7 Grains, Domed, 150ct (http://www.airgundepot.com/eun-jin-20-cal-237-grains-domed-150ct.html)

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-results-ext?Ntt=5mm+pellets&sid=1375A617A415&N=0&Ntk=primary&q=5mm+pellets&cx=002970863286801882398:jlcminxfwdw&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&saSearch

http://www.airgundepot.com/airgunpellets.html

(http://www.airgundepot.com/airgunpellets.html)

richhodg66
06-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Wow, that's about half again the weight of most 5mm pellets, does that slow down velocities to where it's an issue?

When I was a kid, I did a lot of squirrel hunting with an RWS .177 rifle that I know was not particularly powerful (seems to me they claimed about 1,000 FPS) and I used Beeman Silver Jets. Never had a problem going through a squirrel that I can remember.

Guess I just need to order several kinds, set up a range in the basement and start checking which shoot best. Trigger time is always good.

rking22
06-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Try these, Noet the Beeman pellets are made by (generally) H&N. These have shot well in my 5mm rifles, I would stay away from the ultra liteweights, no penetration, and the CB9s generally like something between 10 and 15 grs. I have not shot the En Jins, so no personal experience there. I have had little success with hollow point pellets, prefering the accuracy and penetration of a round nose. I have squirrel hunted a good bit with 5mm airguns and shot LOTS of starlings. Crow Mags would not break the neck of a large fox squirre from a Theoben, the premier did. The Bengimins have not been as accurate as others ,but don't cost as much so they get shot some when "tin can hunting". YMMV

http://www.pyramydair.com/compare/P/300/335/90/477/17/

Almost forgot, I have no interest in Pyramydair, Just know they carry most 5mm pellets, shop arround.

GhostHawk
06-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Richodg66 experience and trigger time is always the best teacher IMO.

As to the the heavier pellets, I have seldom found the need to go above 4 pumps for the shooting I did.

If it was me I'd shoot a few at 4, 5, and 6 pumps at hunting distances and see how they group, and where they fall.
Multi pump Airguns always take a bit of a learning curve as you learn to use appropriate power and estimate the required hold for different distances.

Nowdays all my shooting is in my basement, I have a nice 20 foot range setup with some interesting targets.
Latest one is a nickle, drilled and hung by a string. So far my Sheridan has hit it and sent it swinging hard 4 out of 5 shots with only 2 pumps.

For a squirrel or a rabbit I would probably go to 4, and add another pump for every 10 yards over something like 30-40 yards depending on where you are sighted in for.

Sheridan to me is all about learning how much power for a given application, and distance.
It doesn't take a lot of power for most birds, and varmints. Ground Hog's, or coons I would probably go to 5 or 6 and try for a good head shot. Shot placement is the key with any lower speed, lower powered gun.

I used to shoot starlings off a power wire that was some 55 yards away from my back steps and maybe 10 yards up.
3 pumps would knock them off every time if I took my time and aimed right.

a.squibload
06-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Few years back I answered an ad on "Freecycle", got a Blue Streak for nothing.
Must have had a scope at one time, about the 6th shot I felt a puff of air in my face,
the barrel had separated from the gas tube. I cleaned it up and applied a thin coat
of JB Weld in between. Has shot fine ever since. Rocker safety, plain leaf sight.
Got a few cans of Benjamin 14.3gn pellets at Big 5, 3 or 4 bucks if I remember.

Got some 6mm plastic Airsoft pellets for use in powdercoating, suppose I could
swage 'em to 5mm for short range targets?

GhostHawk
06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Possible I suppose to make a tapered hole in a piece of steel, but I suspect they'd come out a bit strange.

My 5mm pellets actually read as .196, anywhere from there to .20 should chamber and fire.

a.squibload
06-23-2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks.
It's just that they last forever applying powder, you only need a
couple dozen, and there are 5000 in the jug, so I figured maybe I could
shoot 'em. Maybe I'll try it if I get a minute.

fiberoptik
07-11-2014, 01:10 AM
:bigsmyl2:As an add-on, I clean my 5mm. With Q-tips. Felt pellets are expensive. Just add a drop of favorite cleaner, cut in half, 2 pumps and shoot. Follow up with other side, fav. Oil.

grizzlyadams
07-12-2014, 07:16 PM
just traded for one of my rocker silver streaks. a benjamin p rod. already regret it, but the wife promptly adopted the p rod

Pakprotector
07-24-2014, 07:49 PM
I have a pair of Blues and am hunting a Silver. JSB Exact is their best shooting pellet, and at 13.73 grains is quite heavy enough; no need to get heavier until the power is there to exceed 950 FPS. I don't get much past 800, so I take the fine accuracy and don't sweat the power. A fine scope mount can be had that does not stress out the solder joints from Greg Lundy. I went one step further and just glued on my first, and now am waiting on a second. Top notch stuff...:)
cheers,
Douglas