PDA

View Full Version : Cheddite Primers In Knight In-Line---- Coming Apart!

Themoose
05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Today I tried some Cheddite 209 primers in my Knight 45 with the bare primer conversion. The primers ignited the BH209 very well and were easy to extract after firing unlike many other 209 primers in the rifle... but the Cheddites often came apart when fired... the surface that the firing pin hits was missing on several fired primers and some of the pieces wound up near the bolt and sear necessitating the removal of the bolt and the pieces of primer...

The Knight firing pin is not sharp at all and I cannot say the primers were pierced. These are the only primers that I have see come apart in my Knight... not sure if anyone else is using them, but thought I should pass it on. I haven't tried them in a Magspark on my caplock and after today's experience I doubt that I will.

TheMoose

johnson1942
05-29-2014, 05:58 PM
stick with what works and save your self the grief. never heard of those but again i live very remote. i have found that some primers are slightly larger in diam that others. my sons inline is fussy about the right size. some day i will find a drill bit 1 thousands larger than the nipple hole and fix that for good.

gtgeorge
05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I use the Cheddite primers in a pair of CVA's lighting BH209 with no troubles. In fact one has trouble with other primers swelling and not wanting to come out but these always remove easily for me.

Pictures might be helpful to see what is happening.

Themoose
05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
gtgeorge,

I'm not a pc person and have limited abilities there....not smart enough to post pictures on this forum without help of my grandchildren... but to try to better describe what happened I offer this description. When firing 209 primers in my Knight rifle with the bare primer conversion the spent primers are almost always showing expansion where the firing pin strikes them... this normally causes the overall length to increase and it gives a problem in extracting the spent primers from the bolt... not really a problem.. I just reclose the bolt and pull the trigger and the firing pin will reshape the swollen primer so it can be removed... When firing the Cheddite 209 primer on the other hand.. the primers would extract easily upon firing, but the center of the primer cup(where the firing pin hits) was often missing... apparently it was "blown" out from "blowback"????.
This may be an issue with the Knight design and the particular breech plug design. I had contacted Knight last week before trying the Cheddites to see what was the best breech plug designs to ignite the BH209 and they recommended the one that I am using currently.

I also cast and reload my own 12 gauge sabot slugs and in a recent project testing some other slugs was given a tip to try the Cheddite primers as they were hotter than some American primers(good for BH209) and were also sealed... saw them at the local gunshow this weekend and could not find Federal 209A's so I bought some to try...

Hope the description better describes the situation.

TheMoose

OverMax
05-30-2014, 10:26 AM
From what I encountered most off shore made primers are measured in millimeters thus there a bit larger in diameter than the typical American made. Allot of places sell Cheddite 209s mail order. One I can think of off hand is Ballistic Products located in Corcoran MN. Anyone know of a web site or chart that rates 209 energy stats?

gtgeorge
05-30-2014, 12:17 PM
I wonder if the flash hole is a little large as what I described earlier happens on the one that I enlarged the primer flash hole on to the recommended size for BH209 after having a couple dry fires on her ML. I think the Cheddite are much softer material but that is just an opinion without any testing to back it up.

What is your charge? Maybe a little too hot? Just trying to think what all could possibly cause what you are describing.

Themoose
05-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Flash hole was a new insert. Powder charge started @ 70 GRS and had problems.y;