PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on starting

KLRrider
01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
To get started a more simple way, I'm thinking......
Order a lee 4/20 furnace, lee 2-cav tumble lube mold, mold release and a sizer kit (has the sizer die and lube). Have found a small quantity of Lyman #2 ingots locally at a fair price so I'll hold off on smelting WW's till I'm sure to like casting.
The better furnace is a means to ensure I have a quality product and will up-grade to Lyman molds if casting becomes more serious in the future. I can then spend the summer months seeking WW's and deciding on a smelting set-up. Doesn't damage the budget much going this route!
Sound like a good plan?
KLRrider

Swamprat1052
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. Thats kinda what I did. The Lee molds will work for you just search Leementing here on the site and get you some Bull Plate Sprue Plate Lube from Bullshop (links at the bottom of the page). You really need that stuff, it works wonders on Lee molds (or any other molds.) The 20 lb. Lee pot is the way to go also.

I warn you though this stuff is habit forming. I think its something in the lead. Have fun and ask questions here, these guys will have the answers.

Swamprat

mooman76
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
To get started a more simple way, I'm thinking......
Order a lee 4/20 furnace, lee 2-cav tumble lube mold, mold release and a sizer kit (has the sizer die and lube). Have found a small quantity of Lyman #2 ingots locally at a fair price so I'll hold off on smelting WW's till I'm sure to like casting.
The better furnace is a means to ensure I have a quality product and will up-grade to Lyman molds if casting becomes more serious in the future. I can then spend the summer months seeking WW's and deciding on a smelting set-up. Doesn't damage the budget much going this route!
Sound like a good plan?
KLRrider

Sounds like a good way to start! :drinks:

mroliver77
01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Ive said it before and I will say it again. Get a strong 2-4 quart sauce pan and a heat source. I bought a new electric hotplate at wally world for $9.99. I lyman lead ladle and a tumble lube mold and you are ready to go. Should be no reason to size them if mold drops them like it should. Very little investment. If you decide you like casting the hotplate is very handy then to preheat alloy, molds etc. Ladle casting is a great way to go with single and double cav molds. J

quickshot
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
sounds like you got a plan all worked out. now get to it! welcome to your new addiction!

Razor
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Sound like a good plan?
Yup.. Good plan !
Basically what I did about 9 mos ago..
Heed the others' warning... It's addicting...
You'll buy molds you don't have guns for...
3 tons of WW in the garage to be smelted and you'll still go make your "rounds"..
More bullets cast up than you can shoot in the next 4 years...
You'll buy a gun 'cause you got a mould for it..
(ask me how I know...[smilie=1:)

Razor