PDA

View Full Version : Fence Staples - just a rant

woody1
05-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Anyone bought any fence staples lately? Did you like 'em? Were they made in China? Asked my wife to pick up some at the local hardware when she got the mail today. When I saw 'em I knew they were China ****. Sure enough and blunt enough you could prob'ly use 'em for a wedge! That's the second time I've got staples I won't use! She's got orders to take 'em back. OK, I feel better now. End of rant. Regards, Woody

Garyshome
05-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Haven't got any lately, but I'll keep a lookout for the good ones, Then I most likely will hoard em.

Cactus Farmer
05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Haven't got any lately, but I'll keep a lookout for the good ones, Then I most likely will hoard em.

That's it, hoard 'em. I'm aiming for a couple hundred pounds. Think that's enough?

Beagle333
05-28-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm gonna dump all these .22LR outta my sock drawer and fill it with the good fence staples before they're gone! They're all mine, MINE! Ya hear! :kidding:

imashooter2
05-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Hardly an item exists that cannot be made a little bit cheaper and sold for a little less...

historicfirearms
05-28-2014, 07:19 PM
I bought some Chinese ones last year and couldn't hardly use them. Who would have thought they could mess up a staple so bad?

montana_charlie
05-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Asked my wife to pick up some at the local hardware when she got the mail today.

That's the second time I've got staples I won't use!

She's got orders to take 'em back.
Where I buy staples, you scoop them out of a big box, put 'em in a plastic sack, and pay by the pound.
Because of how they can poke and stab a person, I would never ask my wife to buy them.

Did your wife buy them both times?

My wife is very good about picking things up for me while in town.
And, she is entirely on board with returning things which don't cut the mustard.
But, if I ever 'ordered' her to buy something, or take it back ... I would still be waiting.

How many staples were in the package she brought home?

CM

joesig
05-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Gotta love the Chinese. They can reverse engineer Microsoft Office and Windows yes can't figure out how to copy a staple.

imashooter2
05-28-2014, 09:00 PM
They didn't want to copy it. They wanted to make it cheaper so they could undersell the good staples and take advantage of the American market where the vast majority of people only look at price.

dk17hmr
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
I work for the Wyoming DOT, if you have ever driving I80 through Wyoming you might notice there is roughly 405 miles of wood post, barbed, barbless, and woven wire fence on the North and South side of the interstate. Our post spacing is about 16'-6" apart and generally 6 staples per post....so roughly 1,555,200 staples on line post on the interstate alone, not including brace panels, end panels or wing fence. We also have a "Buy American" clause in our contracts.....which is a big pain in the backside sometimes

TXGunNut
05-28-2014, 11:29 PM
It's no use, they're storing all the good staples at Doe Run.

MOcaster
05-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Hardly an item exists that cannot be made a little bit cheaper and sold for a little less...

Except for quality.

runfiverun
05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
maybe YOU just bought the wrong fence posts....

starmac
05-29-2014, 01:49 PM
The chinese can and do make quality things. the problem is they make what they send us to the specs of the importer, which is usually cheap, not quality. They probably do not sell junk fence staples in their own country. lol

dakotashooter2
05-29-2014, 05:03 PM
I think someone flattened the points while trying to drive them into steel posts and returned them when that didn't work. Last time I bought staples they seemed to be about 1/4" shorter than they used to be................................................ .

Houndog
05-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't know about the co-ops out west but here they've got the gooderns, in fact both the co-op and Southern States carry good staples and barbed wire. If you've got one within reasonable distance, take a look there instead of the local hardware.

Smoke4320
05-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Just send them to Grumpa.. he has a fence staple sharping service and its solar powered
He will tumble, sharpen and deburr
when they come back they will look just like 300 blkout cases :):)

buckwheatpaul
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I havent had that experience yet.....just look at the various farm supplies and you are bound to find some American staples.......Look at Atwoods, Tractor Supply or a local hardware store....good huntin'

osteodoc08
05-30-2014, 08:04 AM
I've learned that there are some things I just need to do. This includes looking for and buying 'man stuff'. Last time I asked her to get my some 95/5 solder for a project and could use the leftovers for "other projects" it took her over an hour a Hone Depot with multiple phone calls. Heck, you shoulda seen me trying to pick up some nail polish for her!

If I ever gave my wife an order, she'd shove it where the sun don't shine. I'd also do the same.

But yes, I agree. Something so simple, yet poorly constructed, can be a huge frustration.

Forty Rod Ray
06-02-2014, 07:30 PM
If y'all think steeples and wire are dipping in availability, just try to find some decent post holes... Nowhere and when you can stumble on some, they're too small or too short, or filled with rocks.... I tell you this country is being ruint by Washington!

starmac
06-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Decant post holes have been hard to come by since they started building steel fence post. Might be why US companies are ordering junk ones from China, they figgure nobody will ever use them anyway. lol

leadman
06-03-2014, 02:57 AM
The nails are going in the same direction, down in quality. Look at the zinc coated nails, so gobbed up you can hardly pound them into the wood before they bend.

merlin101
06-03-2014, 03:43 AM
I've been useing a lot of finishing nails lately, I tell ya there junk! All different sizes, some with no head at all and just about half of em are pointed the wrong way! I never thought about them being from china, I'll have to take a look.

woody1
06-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Those that are pointed the wrong way are for the other side!

woody1
06-03-2014, 02:04 PM
The nails are going in the same direction, down in quality. Look at the zinc coated nails, so gobbed up you can hardly pound them into the wood before they bend.
Leadman, a while back I got a bunch of galvanized Chinese nails. Fully 10% of 'em weren't completely pointed. I started pitching them but decided I couldn't afford that so I saved 'em and had to point ;'em by hand on the grinder. No more. Made in USA or fully checked which you can't do wiht the boxed Chinese nails. Regards, Woody

woody1
06-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Decant post holes have been hard to come by since they started building steel fence post. Might be why US companies are ordering junk ones from China, they figgure nobody will ever use them anyway. lol

USA Made!

On sale now, 8" fence post holes X 36" deep, $6.00 per hole. Of course needs a miss utility call first. Minimum applies, don't like hauling them more than 25 miles from the dot on the map, cause they are a bugger to tie down, and if they fall off the truck, they become potholes, LOL!. Sorry I can't drill left handed holes, cause it interferes with the rotation of the earth! I have other hole sizes available, from 3" to 36" in diameter. They can also be used for other purposes, besides fence posts, too. I have sold holes for deck footers, putting up pole sheds, planting trees, burying dead animals (no people please, or please don't tell me!). Click on reply to ad for contact info. Thanks for reading the (w)hole ad!

Have Made in USA 1950 8N Ford tractor, have similar age 3' x 12" Danuser Post Hole Digger also made in USA, will travel. Regards, Woody

mold maker
06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Do your post holes have lube grooves?

woody1
06-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Nope. Another member here has the market cornered. Wonder if he's farmed manufacture out to the Chinese?

William Yanda
06-06-2014, 09:04 PM
I am in the market for a few thousand feet of 12 and 18 inch holes. How well do they keep? I would like to buy a season's worth for installing playgrounds but if spoilage is an issue it probably would not be cost effective.

USA Made!

On sale now, 8" fence post holes X 36" deep, $6.00 per hole. Of course needs a miss utility call first. Minimum applies, don't like hauling them more than 25 miles from the dot on the map, cause they are a bugger to tie down, and if they fall off the truck, they become potholes, LOL!. Sorry I can't drill left handed holes, cause it interferes with the rotation of the earth! I have other hole sizes available, from 3" to 36" in diameter. They can also be used for other purposes, besides fence posts, too. I have sold holes for deck footers, putting up pole sheds, planting trees, burying dead animals (no people please, or please don't tell me!). Click on reply to ad for contact info. Thanks for reading the (w)hole ad!

Have Made in USA 1950 8N Ford tractor, have similar age 3' x 12" Danuser Post Hole Digger also made in USA, will travel. Regards, Woody

waksupi
06-06-2014, 11:34 PM
How many three inch holes can you fit inside of a 36" hole? Just trying to save on shipping oversized packages. I need a new out house hole that the 36" should work for, and figure I could install the 3" for the gophers.

btroj
06-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Are holes like drills? Some are fractional, others are numbered or lettered?

If so, I bet I know what size hole is most common.........

starmac
06-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Yea, but the website has a filter to keep you from posting the most common holes. lol

shaggybull
06-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Just wondering, what with the high cost of shipping nowadays, do you have any collapsible holes that pack flat for a flat-rate shipper? We would be making a bulk purchase, approximately enough total cubic footage to include an area the size of DC, including inhabitants?