PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal barefoot heaven

randyrat
01-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Using a C309-170F( about 14.5 BHN) in my old 30-30 (one with the holethrough the chamber made by some whantAbe gunsmith) I shot this with a soft gas check under 6 grs of Unique. I can't beleive how tight this shot. If it wasen't cold as the northern witches breath i could have poked one hole in another at 50 yds. I guess i got lucky. I shot 15 rds no leading just a little dirty powder resdue from the 'old Unique'.... Now i can shoot cheap plinkin loads all day long and no expenditures toward GCs. I guesed at this load and it's below the MIN starting load for Unique for a lighter bullet yet, I'm not playing with danger am i ? Just checking.

Bret4207
01-13-2008, 09:23 AM
No, you should be okay. What do you mean by a soft gas check?

randyrat
01-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I bought them online, forgot where. They are red and i beleive they are Beeswax and carnuba or somting like it and they come in thin sheets. Prep your brass and press your sheet on top of the boolit before seating a boolit. Its kinda like a beeswax plug. Infact i think a beeswax mix softened slightly would work the same. Not everybody gets the same results from soft GCs as i got. The way i look at it, i save .025/GC to .03/GC per rd for plinkin. I would guess any good firm,stable lube would work. Inexpensive fun.