PDA

View Full Version : Tamming Fliers

guicksylver
05-27-2014, 09:22 PM
OK! So I know I probably will never be able to achieve the discipline that Ben, Char-gar,Larry and others exhibit, but I have found a way to set myself apart.

I have worked hard to achieve this level of control over my fliers.

They now have a purpose.

Please note X ring.

waco
05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Haha! Very nice.

Mod42
05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
At least those 9 fliers group pretty good :kidding:

beagle
05-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Think that's a prime example of the "obligatory flyer" that always expand cast groups. Been there./beagle

guicksylver
05-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I am sure you have heard the expression "one in every group".

Thanks for the smiles guys.

Dan S.

P.S. Yes I know it's Taming Flyers. It is a boolits ,bullets thing

Le Loup Solitaire
05-27-2014, 10:39 PM
You can achieve the discipline of anyone at any level if you continue to work hard at it. It takes/will take a lot of practice and concentration and time. There will always be fliers, but they get less in number and size as you progress. Some days are good and some are bad...that is part of game. So stick with it and keep on practicing. LLS

country gent
05-27-2014, 10:48 PM
One big thing is keeping good detailed notes and the results so you can track what works what dosnt and such keep notes on light, wind, temps, along with load, load techniques, sights, equipment, and ranges not just distance but if you shoot diffrent places then that also. Use a wind flag or several track wind with mirage when possible. The big thing is knowing what you did today 5 years from now so you can repeat or not.

glockky
05-28-2014, 12:25 AM
I think there is more to this. I personally have had a lot of problems when shooting 5 shot groups at 100yds. I have had 4 shots with an inch and then the 5th hit 4 inches off.
I felt like I had a good trigger break on all shots. I wonder if its a problem with inconsistency in my bullets that I am not noticing?

cbrick
05-28-2014, 07:04 AM
The solution is simple, just make them all fliers and there will be no X ring. [smilie=1:

Rick

44man
05-28-2014, 08:32 AM
I can read fliers in revolvers, rifles are harder but I bet it has the same cause, the brass!
I found 30-30 brass was all over the place and found huge run out. I found it was neck thickness variations so I neck turned the brass to even it out, fire formed and reduced run out to .002" or less.
Then sorting brass by weight also helped. Just sorting by brand was not enough.
Watch each shot with a scope and sort out that piece of brass that gave you a flier.
Sounds funny to use BR techniques in a lever gun but dang it, it works. Your bolt gun will love you for it.
I hate to bust a butt but I see brass variations in the nine shots too. Cast takes nicely to even brass.
Rick has the right idea, Get more fliers in the X ring, sort and load again and they will poke one hole in the X ring. Darn, I should write a book!
Stop blaming boolits if you cast good. The truth is that cast needs more uniform brass then J words.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-28-2014, 11:13 AM
See the threads on lube purging.

44man
05-28-2014, 12:35 PM
See the threads on lube purging.
Not that true. Brass uniformity trumps anything else. Lube should leave the boolit at the muzzle release of course. Purge has many meanings and where it happens. Purging lube ahead of a boolit means gas channels on the boolit. To have a hard lube left on one side of the boolit is also bad.
Lube is an entirely different discussion. Yes, a chunk of hard lube on one side of a boolit will cause a flier. Why do you need hard candle lube in a rifle anyway?

telebasher
05-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Heck, If we shot bughole groups everytime we would get bored and take up golf or something else !

Pb2au
05-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Heck, If we shot bughole groups everytime we would get bored and take up golf or something else !

No truer words were spoken.
This hobby is an exercise in problem solving. When your personal goal becomes more and more focused, your work load of problem solving increases.
I believe this to be true for all spectrum of the hobby. Some folks want a reasonably consistent, reasonably accurate load for their pistol at 7 yards.
Others want a sub-MOA rifle load at 100 yards at high velocity.

44man
05-28-2014, 01:32 PM
That is why some of my revolvers stay in the safe. Boring accuracy with no more work needed. I take them when friends come to let them see what they can do. I open the safe and ask what they want to shoot. All will do anything asked.
Then for deer, I pick what kills best only but I know the accuracy. Some revolvers might not be shot for a year but will hit and kill where aimed. I don't need 50,000 shots a year. I need one shot only. Work is finished and I can take a bottle of water off the rail at 100 yards, off hand with my .475 or .500 JRH with one shot anytime. The .44 is easy.
I can really hand you my guns and watch you shoot as good or better because the guns and loads are right. That is not funny, friends can out shoot me with my guns. Makes me feel good.

Virginia John
05-29-2014, 08:51 AM
He who has the fewest Xs wins? It is the fliers that keeps us tweaking our guns and loads striving for improvement. When achieved, we pick up another gun and a new load.

detox
05-29-2014, 03:38 PM
"Fouling Shot".... sometimes a newly cleaned barrel will cause a flier until it is fouled. This may take several shots before barrel settles down again. Veral Smith of LBT lubes recommends not cleaning the barrel when using his lubes.
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/foulingshotindex.shtml

detox
05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Good concentric brass (less than .001 runout at neck) and brass from the same lot will help tighten groups.

bandmiller2
05-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Flier control is pretty much the whole ball of wax with cast. Its the journey that's interesting with cast boolets not when you arrive. Frank C.

44man
05-30-2014, 07:54 AM
I rarely clean a bore. Most important in hunting season, never hunt with a clean gun. Real problem if a guy is anal and cleans every time he shoots and lives in the city.
I did it many times and at IHMSA I would always miss the first chicken even with jacketed. I stopped cleaning.
Actually, it just takes one shot even with cast and lube. I don't even clean in between lube tests. The change in a lube will show up right away.
Easy to see run out if you can't measure, just roll a round on the bench. If you see wobble, imagine how bad it is! Cast is hard to measure on the boolit so I measure the necks.
Don't trust a lot number, the variation is still great.