PDA

View Full Version : History is half the fun

rickomatic
05-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Just got to shoot my "new to me" Winchester 1873 first model this weekend. The bore has good rifling, but is pretty dark. The action locks up nice and tight for what looks to be a totally unmolested specimen. I loaded up some cartridges (44-40), with around 38 grains of FFFg under a 200 gr. Meister slug that I "relubed" with black powder lube.
CCI magnum primers got things going.
I didn't measure any kind of pattern, but was able to hit a 12" steel silhouette at around 30 yards ok. Not bad for me......with a nearly 140 year old gun. :) .

Speedo66
05-27-2014, 08:19 PM
I don't know if it's just the perspective of the picture, but that barrel looks unusually long. I have a 3rd model in .38WCF and the barrel is 24".

Is that one longer?

My barrel's rifling is mostly just a thing of the past, but it still manages to hit bowling pins at 60 yards. Have no idea why.

TXGunNut
05-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Congrats, good job firing it with the right powder. Amazing how well BP works in guns designed for it. ;-)
Does appear to be over 24", closer to 30".

dubber123
05-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Don't be afraid of firelapping your barrel. I did a VERY dark/pitted S&W 32-20 revolver, it still has pits of course, but shines decently, doesn't foul any more, and best of all it cut 50 yard groups in half. Nice rifle, I would love to have one like it.

rickomatic
05-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Good eye on the barrel length guys. It's got a 28" barrel which was a special order item. I've sent off for a Cody Museum letter for it. A quick search shows around 600 total 28" barrels ordered out of the 3/4 million 1873's built.
5 digit serial #, built in 1876. Same year as Custer's Little Bighorn battle. Kind of puts it in historical context.

TXGunNut
05-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Yes, imagining where that rifle has been and the folks who handled it along the way is truly a sobering thought with an older rifle like yours. We're only temporary caretakers of these old pieces of history.

yooper
05-27-2014, 11:58 PM
First Model '73's are pretty hard to find, let alone one with special features. What a keeper!! Congrats on the find, and keep on shootin' it. If Mr. Winchester had meant them for mounting on the wall he would have put hooks on them. ;)
yooper

rickomatic
05-28-2014, 07:13 PM
There are still gems out there to be found. Sometimes it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Believe it or not the place this time, of all places, was at a Cabelas gun library. I stop by this particular one at least once a week to fondle the merchandise, and I saw this one, which I had never seen there before. When I saw what they wanted for it I made a counter offer which they turned down since they'd only had it for a few days. I decided to pull the trigger anyway after I realized it was a first model with the special order barrel. I still think I made out like a bandit, and wondered if whoever had priced it didn't realize exactly how unique it was.

TXGunNut
05-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Yes, it pays to hang out at the Library. Occasionally a real treasure shows up there, sometimes it's even priced reasonably. The one in KC seems to have some pretty good stuff but have no trouble getting a few treasures to follow me home from the Ft Worth store. ;-)

rickomatic
06-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Got my Winchester letter in the mail today. Only took 3 weeks. I'm impressed!
Everything checks out except for one thing that appears to have been changed. The 28" barrel length is original to the gun. However the letter shows it as originally having a set trigger. I'll have to do a little research to see if #1, I can locate an original set trigger. I have seen them on ebay in the past. #2, if putting one back on will increase the value much. And #3, if the set trigger makes it a better shooter.

Edit:Upon closer inspection it appears that the set trigger is there. I just didn't recognize it. It looks like the adjustment screw is either broken or missing, but the pull weight is definitely more to the ounces range rather than the pounds range. I also compared it to my in progress 1873 32-20 build, and from the exterior, anyway, they are different. Further inspection, research and probably disassembly is needed to get to the bottom of my new mystery, to see if any parts are indeed missing. I do know that after cocking the hammer a forward push on the trigger should produce a "click" as it sets. There is no click.

fouronesix
06-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Got my Winchester letter in the mail today. Only took 3 weeks. I'm impressed!
Everything checks out except for one thing that appears to have been changed. The 28" barrel length is original to the gun. However the letter shows it as originally having a set trigger. I'll have to do a little research to see if #1, I can locate an original set trigger. I have seen them on ebay in the past. #2, if putting one back on will increase the value much. And #3, if the set trigger makes it a better shooter.

Edit:Upon closer inspection it appears that the set trigger is there. I just didn't recognize it. It looks like the adjustment screw is either broken or missing, but the pull weight is definitely more to the ounces range rather than the pounds range. I also compared it to my in progress 1873 32-20 build, and from the exterior, anyway, they are different. Further inspection, research and probably disassembly is needed to get to the bottom of my new mystery, to see if any parts are indeed missing. I do know that after cocking the hammer a forward push on the trigger should produce a "click" as it sets. There is no click.

May be very normal for that age and type of SS trigger. The notch (sear) for "set" status can be very light on those and many times not much of a discernible click when setting. Would be worthwhile to disassemble and inspect for wear.

Very nice rifle and with it being correct to the Cody letter plus the special order barrel length plus the set trigger, a worthwhile investment. Nice rifle!

Bullshop Junior
06-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Very nice! I like it.

Iowa Fox
06-07-2014, 10:58 PM
One of those rifles is a hole in my collection, the 28" barrel is extra nice. Thought it was a 30" when I first saw the picture. How do you guys find them?

smokeywolf
06-08-2014, 12:01 AM
You really lucked out finding an early special order '73. I have shot many a Winchester with a set trigger. IMHO it is a very worthwhile feature. If you have any doubts about repairing or adjusting, I would contact one of the very talented gunsmiths on the forum.

I've had fantasies or day dreams of someday laying hands on a deluxe model '76 in the 50 Express (95) chambering.

smokeywolf

TXGunNut
06-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the update, sounds like a very special rifle that would do any collection or museum proud. Hope you'll try another range trip or two, don't be surprised if the old girl's a shooter. I've shot a couple of century-old 1873's that shoot great, hope yours does as well.

rickomatic
06-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Don't worry about her getting shot again. I don't have any safe queens.
I did notice one anomaly with the spent brass from my shooting excursion. Every case had an identical mark running from the shoulder to the case mouth. When I first saw it I thought it was a crack, but upon closer inspection it isn't a crack, but rather an indented line. And all the cases(20) have the identical marking.
I've ordered a video bore scope that should come today and will hopefully shed some light on what's causing it, and if I can remedy it.