PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 44 load please.

jeepyj
05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Alright from the beginning. For Xmas I received a F1 chrony. So yesterday I decided to set it up and test a bunch of different loads against the load data that I used out of my reference manuals. First I did some Lyman 358091 in a 38spl and the velocity was a little higher than I expected but not outrageous. Next I did a Lyman 358156 in a 357 still higher than I had recorded on the label but nothing that felt is alarming. I tested two different revolvers one with a 6 1/2" barrel and one with an 8" barrel and a T/C with a 10" barrel. The 10 inch in both cases averaged the highest velocity then the 8" then the 6 1/2. All seemed good and fun then I tested a Dan Wesson 44mag with a 8" barrel. The load was Lyman 429244. A gas check 255 grain boolit sized to 429. The charge is 21.5 grains of 2400 in which in my data books should have produced something that was traveling around 1075 fps. The average speed after 6 shots was 1456 fps. In the book the maximum speed for that boolit is 1165. Nothing seems outrageous as far as the kick (It definitely isn't a 38spl). Upon returning home I pulled one to see if I could identify anything out of the ordinary. The powder charge was right on and everything seems correct.
Anyone with thoughts on this? BTW I did check the chrony to be sure that was completely open as in the instructions indicated.
Jeepyj

gray wolf
05-27-2014, 12:40 PM
The charge is 21.5 grains of 2400 in which in my data books should have produced something that was traveling around 1075 fps. The average speed after 6 shots was 1456 fps. In the book the maximum speed for that boolit is 1165.
1456 sounds about right, and 1075 is way to low, that low speed is more like 10 grains or so of Unique.
Are you referencing from the Lyman book by any chance.
I get 1300 and change from 19 Grains. I use 20.6 for a 240 J-word it's accurate but a little stout ( a little )

willie_pete
05-27-2014, 02:06 PM
How far away is the muzzle from the crony. You could be reading muzzle blast.

WP

mikeym1a
05-27-2014, 02:27 PM
I got out my old Speer #8 manual, and it lists a 240gr SWC, and 21grs of 2400 for a MV of appox 1400. My Lyman #3 lists a 245gr SWC and 22grs of 2400 at approx 1100fps. That must be an error, as your experience has shown. These two manuals were handy, and I didn't consult any others. If you have any other manuals, give them a look to see what they say.

Hickok
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Your velocity from the Chrony was right. I use the Lyman #429421 and #429244 in my .44 mags, with 20 gr/2400 and get around 1275fps from a S&W Model 29 with a 6" barrel.

The"old" load of 22gr/2400 is a very hot load nowadays, as it is said the new lots of 2400 powder have a faster burning rate. I backed my loads down from the "old load data" to 20 gr/2400 with the above boolits, and it kills deer, bear, etc just as dead.

gray wolf
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
I test 10 feet from the muzzle as directed, 357 mag. also shows low numbers. ( way low )
If the reason is because of how they test then what good is to us ?
20 + grains of 2400 with a 240/250 and 265 grain bullet is a stout load, but doable.

jeepyj
05-27-2014, 03:47 PM
1456 sounds about right, and 1075 is way to low, that low speed is more like 10 grains or so of Unique.
Are you referencing from the Lyman book by any chance.
I get 1300 and change from 19 Grains. I use 20.6 for a 240 J-word it's accurate but a little stout ( a little )

Yes I am referencing a newer Lyman book. I thought given the fact I run several Lyman Moulds I figured data. Would you have any suggestions for a better manual (I do have a Speer one from early eighties when I started loading but didn't have that boolit listed)
Also I likely would cut back to about 19 grains but should I feel comfortable shooting off the couple hundred I've got loaded?

jeepyj
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
How far away is the muzzle from the crony. You could be reading muzzle blast.

WP
This was my first attempt with the chrony and I set it up 5+/- feet away from my rest. Each seem to read good first the number of the shot then the fps. I figured some sort of error message would pop up or just not read if it wasn't happy.

gray wolf
05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
5 feet is a little on the close side, and could involve the plume from a muzzle blast.
But then again your numbers sound about right. Did you get instructions with the unit ?
I would move it to about 10 feet and make sure it's inline with the muzzle
( shot does not cross the optical sensors on an angle )
This link is very helpful for new Chrony users

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/20/chronograph-accuracy-tips-15-practical-tips-to-increase-accuracy-reliability/

jeepyj
05-27-2014, 08:25 PM
5 feet is a little on the close side, and could involve the plume from a muzzle blast.
But then again your numbers sound about right. Did you get instructions with the unit ?
I would move it to about 10 feet and make sure it's inline with the muzzle
( shot does not cross the optical sensors on an angle )
This link is very helpful for new Chrony users

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/20/chronograph-accuracy-tips-15-practical-tips-to-increase-accuracy-reliability/

Interesting article thank you. I'll keep experimenting. We'll see how it goes.
Jeepyj

turmech
05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
I average right around 1450 with 21.5 grains of 2400 in a super blackhawk hunter model with a 7 ½ barrel. I would say your chronograph and set up is correct and you data is wrong.

The old 22 grain load has been reduced in modern manuals and you have to use your own judgment on whether it is still safe to shoot. I would not typically say this but I think this is one case were lawyers cause the reduction not pressure. A long time member here posted his testing (which would be much more advance than I could do) which seemed to confirm this at least in the powder he tested IIRC. I personally showed no sign of overpressure when I work up to 22 grains. For me accuracy only got good when I got above 20 grains.

jeepyj
05-27-2014, 09:34 PM
I average right around 1450 with 21.5 grains of 2400 in a super blackhawk hunter model with a 7 ½ barrel. I would say your chronograph and set up is correct and you data is wrong.

The old 22 grain load has been reduced in modern manuals and you have to use your own judgment on whether it is still safe to shoot. I would not typically say this but I think this is one case were lawyers cause the reduction not pressure. A long time member here posted his testing (which would be much more advance than I could do) which seemed to confirm this at least in the powder he tested IIRC. I personally showed no sign of overpressure when I work up to 22 grains. For me accuracy only got good when I got above 20 grains.
I picked up this Dan Wesson a couple weeks ago. I had already loaded in anticipation for another 44 I've had on order for about forever but still waiting. I don't know about any other loads but that one is very accurate. I'm not sure if all of the 429244 are hollow points but mine is. I've had it since the early eighties when a friend had a 44 and we were experimenting with casting. I'll keep experimenting. I usually work a new load up a bit different however I had written this down a few years ago as a good load and when I went back and checked my Lyman book it still seemed to be under the max load so I stuck with it. Thank you for the help
Jeepyj

David2011
05-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Your numbers sound about right. I shoot the same load with the same weight straight lino boolit in a 14" Contender. The extra barrel length and lack of a cylinder gap gives me 1600 fps by the chronograph.

One handed it's not a bad recoil but with a 2 handed grip the trigger guard tang hits the back of my weak hand index finger pretty hard. It quits being fun after about 5 rounds. Next time I load for that gun I'll back off to about 1450 fps and soften the alloy considerably.

David

HeavyMetal
05-29-2014, 12:07 AM
I have a very early Chrony with the LCD on the front of the unit, anything closer than 10 or 12 feet reads muzzle blast and you can get screwy readings.

My Chrony got some "upgrades" First I ditched the screens that go between the "poles" that you shoot through, then I JB welded some Balsa wood strips to these same "poles" so I could push pin some triangle shaped card stock to protect the sky screens from Muzzle blast.

It works like a charm and I don't have any false readings any more!

I also had a fear of shooting the darn thing so I built a protective mount for it, basically a steel plate, D&T'd for the two bolt holes of the Chrony, a second steel plate welded to the base plate at an angle, to deflect boolits over the top of the Chrony should I get sloppy.

To read the Chrony I put a Mirror under the angle plate, more JB weld, and attached a bicycle mirror to the side of the base plate pointing at the shooting bench.

A basic periscope design, I can set at the bench with a low power spotting scope and read the velocity on each shot as I make it.

Not as nice as the later Chrony's with the remote readouts but it works for me and lives after 20 some odd years of being shot it!