PDA

View Full Version : Whose bright idea was this anyway?

FISH4BUGS
05-27-2014, 07:15 AM
A friend brought over about 500 45acp range pickups over the weekend. As i started sorting them to take out any military and small pistol primers, I couldn't help but wonder: ....what moron thought it was a good idea to put small pistol primers in 45 acp anyway?
Bad enough to sort out all military 45's, but now there is another level - small pistol primers. Is there any logic to this or is it just someone's idea of a bad joke?
ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

dragon813gt
05-27-2014, 07:37 AM
You are YEARS behind the ball. Small pistol primer 45acp brass has been around for awhile. There are many like myself that prefer it. It's also the way the round is going. ATK has already switched over as well as a few others. It came about because of the Non-Toxic primers. 45acp doesn't need a large primer so the switch makes sense.

garym1a2
05-27-2014, 08:07 AM
I like them as shooters of them don't pickup their brass much. I keep them set asside till I get a big bunch of them.

daniel lawecki
05-27-2014, 08:16 AM
It doesn't make a difference but when primers where hard to find. I had a stash of small pistol primers so that brass came handy. I save my large -primers for the 44mag 45lc.

SOFMatchstaff
05-27-2014, 11:10 AM
I agree with both sides of the situation, but the little buggers sure screw with the progressive press. Locks up the 1050 , swage rod stops it cold.
I have cursed the MaROOON many times

FISH4BUGS
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
You are YEARS behind the ball. Small pistol primer 45acp brass has been around for awhile. There are many like myself that prefer it. It's also the way the round is going. ATK has already switched over as well as a few others. It came about because of the Non-Toxic primers. 45acp doesn't need a large primer so the switch makes sense.

You are right....I bought some 5000 45 acp ten years ago when it was cheap and have been picking away at it since then. My concerns were always separating out the military from the commercial. Now this......I have known of small pistol primers in 45 for a long time but this is the first brass I have received since this "improvement" came about.

dakotashooter2
05-27-2014, 06:05 PM
It doesn't make a difference but when primers where hard to find. I had a stash of small pistol primers so that brass came handy. I save my large -primers for the 44mag 45lc.

Why I keep a few hundred on hand...........

TXGunNut
05-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Just another reason to hate bifocals.....

runfiverun
05-27-2014, 11:05 PM
soooo,,,umm what you doin with that military brass ???

Blacksmith
05-28-2014, 12:22 AM
If you are really interested in how and why small primer .45 ACP brass came about use the new search function to search Cast Boolits. IIRC this was discussed when they first started showing up and there was quite a bit of information about the "green primers" and how they were only available in one size. Included were links to information on other sites about the subject.

freebullet
05-28-2014, 12:49 AM
If ya got both you'll probably always be able to get components.

What's wrong with the mil brass?

bikerbeans
05-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Dillon Super Swage will "fix" your military 45ACP LPP, assuming it ain't plated steel case commie stuff.

BB

FISH4BUGS
05-28-2014, 06:45 AM
If ya got both you'll probably always be able to get components.

What's wrong with the mil brass?

Nothing. I just want to make sure I process it before trying to load it. You know what happens when a crimped primer unprocessed case gets into a Dillon 550.........I TWICE forgot to advance the shell plate when an umprocessed crimped military case got messed up in station 1 (my bad, I know), resulting in a double charge. I blew up (totally destroyed) a S&W 3914 (that hurt!) and just blew the bolt face off a S&W 76 submachine gun. Thank goodness the 76 is built like a tank.
I am now so anal about military cases I sort all my brass....even those that I shoot and come back from the range. Then I process the military cases some time later.
When reloading, I look down the brass in station 3 before seating the bullet to make sure there is powder in there, and not a double charge. Slows down production but I won't blow up any more guns.

freebullet
05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Gee whiz... Blowing up guns is no good at all. I'm sorry that you've went through that.

I would highly reccomend an rcbs lockout die for all progressive loaders. We all try to look at the charge, but it clearly isn't enough. The lock out die can save your bacon. I don't think I would use a progressive without it.

jakharath
05-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Making small primer 45ACP brass is an act of pure evil.

Garyshome
05-30-2014, 04:18 PM
"Just another reason to hate bifocals" YES!

Big Boomer
05-31-2014, 11:11 AM
SPP .45 ACP brass is no problem for me. I have a couple thousand LPP, once fired, deprimed and cleaned that I would gladly trade for a like number of SPP. We would each insure the count and each pay the postage to the other. How is that for an offer you can't refuse and get rid of all that nasty SPP .45 ACP stuff. Just give me a PM to get things moving. Big Boomer

sparky45
05-31-2014, 11:27 AM
SPP .45ACP is my favorite. That said, I am still using some .45 Brass I acquired in the 1980's.

DR Owl Creek
05-31-2014, 12:26 PM
I've been seeing those cases with SPPs for at least 10 years or so too. At first I threw them in the scrap bucket. Now I sort them out and save them for later some time. Just one more thing to look for.

Dave