PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Water Cooled Question and Thoughts

Satokad
05-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Hey Folks,

I had my third session today. I learned a few more things, and I have a question.
Question first - When you water cool (harden), does the bullet have to still be hot enough to sizzle when it hits the water? Some of mine had cooled off enough so they didn't. With that being said, they were still very hot (or so my finger tells me). You would think after 53 years, I wouldn't be that stupid.
I was casting round balls for a 45 Colt and 452 255gr RNFP. The water cooled ones were pure lead, as were the round balls. On a side note, I had more trouble with the round balls than I did with the bullets. I thought it would be the other way around.
The second set of 452 bullets were about 50/50 lead/COWW. These were air-cooled. I will run them both through my handy dandy Lee Hardness tester tomorrow.
The bullets went much easier than the 12 gauge slugs I made the first two times. Probably because they don't have that cone in the middle (or more likely, I learned about getting the mold nice and hot before starting). It went nice and smooth. I had about 150 bullets before I knew it.
I would imagine that the pure lead bullets will need to be pushed slower, but I won't load them up until the weekend, so I have time to make sure I have it right.
I'm either misunderstanding the dross/flux thing, or I have been blessed with fairly clean metal. Not much to take out so far.
Anyway, I wanted to also say thanks to all of you for answering a ton of questions when I first set this up. It is greatly appreciated and I am officially hooked. Looking forward to casting many bullets in the days to come.
Have a great night.

mpmarty
05-27-2014, 01:03 AM
water dropping pure lead is a total waste of time and effort. Without at least a binary alloy water dropping does nothing but cool off the cast.

Satokad
05-27-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks. I didn't know that. Feeling a little dumb now.

Boyscout
05-27-2014, 02:53 AM
I learned to use pine sawdust from this sight. I have a good supply of it and it works great. I also occassionly stir my lead with a paint stir stick when it looks like some of my alloy might be separating out.

willie_pete
05-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Don't feel that way. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, esp for a beginner.

WP

Double B
05-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Good place to ask questions, like Willie Pete said, no dumb question here. We were all in your shoes once and truth be told, I bet you're ahead of many. Keep on casting and get some wheel weights to mix in before water.dropping.

Double B
05-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Re-read your post. After you check hardness with the Lee kit, cast some identical 50/50 and water drop to see the difference in hardness. That should tell you. Good luck and enjoy.

rhead
05-27-2014, 11:32 AM

No need to feel dumb. none of us knew that fact until we learned it. same with every thing else we know.

OBIII
05-27-2014, 11:34 AM
With pure lead, it doesn't do anything other than cool them off, as stated above. That being said, I would rather reach into a bucket of water and grab some cool ones rather than pick some up that were still on the hot side. :-P

OB

dragon813gt
05-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Here is how I look at it. Water dropping is so I can handle the bullets quicker. W/ the alloy I use the little bit of hardness it adds doesn't amount to much. If I want to harden the bullets I will heat treat since it provides a uniform effect unlike water dropping straight from the mold.

aviator41
05-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Same here. It's not a complete waste of time if it allows you to handle the boolits faster and lowers the chance of getting burned by an errant bullet rolling around.

so why not?

DLCTEX
05-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Wait a week to test water dropped boolits as the hardening will continue for days. I water dropped some 452-230 RN this weekend for a friends RIA 1911 that is giving feed problems.

leeggen
05-27-2014, 10:35 PM
go on line and get the download called "From ingot to target, Cast bullit guide for Handgunners" it will give you a good start on alloys and casting.
CD