PDA

View Full Version : Some more 452423/1911 data for interested parties

Bigslug
05-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Swede will be closing out his GB of 453423's tomorrow (PLUG! PLUG! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236268-453-238Gr-SWC-(453423) and that will let me get into mass-production mode for the 1911 feeding thread. Today was spent burning up some of the Lyman round lube groove versions I cast up for the initial tests. These were cast out of #2, weighed 243 grains, were lubed with Ben's Red, and seated on top of 5.3 grains of Titegroup.

We had the chronograph out today for rifles, so I popped ten rounds out of the Operator to see what they were zooming out at. Got an average of 842 fps - comfortably in the GI hardball zone. (FYI, I run 18.5# recoil springs in pretty much all my 5" guns).

I next did an impromptu penetration test on five roughly 1-gallon jugs in the hopes of recovering a slug that hit something besides dirt. Unfortunately, it turned out that I needed more jugs. Based on the exit from #5, a sixth gallon of water would have probably stopped it, but won't know until I drink a lot more milk, OJ, and use up more liquid Cascade in the dishwasher. The USEFUL bit of information is that the slug bored through in a nice, straight line and was obviously still going point-first when it cleared jug #5.

Dad and I then spent some time abusing a bowling pin that had been left on the range largely intact. Can't say how many it took, but it was a good number of 452423's from the 1911 and RCBS 270gr. SAA's out of a Peacemaker clone. No hard science here, but the crushing effect of the Keith noses was in evidence - we had a large number of toothpicks falling out of a bowling pin skin when we were done.

All in all, a real confidence booster for this slug's abilities as a short range hunting boolit. For reaching out with a bigger gun, I'd probably want the longer nose of the either the RCBS 270 or the classic 452424 255, but if you intend to hunt with a .45 Auto inside of bow range, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

harley45
05-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Another nice report. Thanks

StrawHat
05-27-2014, 06:27 AM
No feeding issues?

Bigslug
05-27-2014, 08:34 AM
No feeding issues?

No, and there really haven't been aside from certain magazine combinations in a stock GI WWII Colt. This bullet seems to like the tapered lip GI-style magazines best. There are some minor nose damage issues, but only with the first round or two off the stack (see the feeding thread towards about post #30 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?237958-Reliably-Feeding-the-452423-A-Science-Project/page2). I'm going to be looking at addressing that with the next batch by seating the bullets to max OAL of about 1.2".

One possible concern for some may be the throats on post WWII Commercial Colt barrels. Two of the feed-test guns consisted of a brand new barrel in a factory-refurbed Gold Cup, and also an early or pre-Series 70 Commander. Seated at 1.185 with the bullets sized at .452", the front driving band partially enters the throat and is hard to manually eject. Don't know yet if that's just these two barrels or if all newer Colts will be like this.

oger
05-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Glad to hear the molds are coming, I have cut back quite a bit on the 452423 mainly because my 4 cavity H&G 68 works so much faster than the old 2 cavity Lyman 452423 and I am getting lazy in my old age.

DR Owl Creek
05-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Very Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Dave

hicard
02-09-2017, 03:10 PM
I just loaded up some Miha 453423 hp and hex point boolits and ran them through my govt. model 1911 and they fed like butter. Better than round nose fmj's. What a pin load these would make. Wish I was still shooting pins. They weigh 226 grs and 230 grs.