PDA

View Full Version : info wanted 3/4 long Scope on Zouave ? ? ?

KyBill
05-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Was thinking of adding a scope to my 1963 Hi Hunter Zouave . Have any of you herd Of one or photos .
all I could find is one silver soldered mounted during the civil war by Morgan James .
I would prefer a good mount system to soldering any day.
There were clamp mounts for Zouaves years ago made of brass . cant find them now either I will get this done in time just wondering of the thin barrel end drilled and tapped. Ky Bill

Rattus58
05-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Was thinking of adding a scope to my 1963 Hi Hunter Zouave . Have any of you herd Of one or photos .
all I could find is one silver soldered mounted during the civil war by Morgan James .
I would prefer a good mount system to soldering any day.
There were clamp mounts for Zouaves years ago made of brass . cant find them now either I will get this done in time just wondering of the thin barrel end drilled and tapped. Ky Bill

I've heard that you can mount stuff to gun barrels with accra glass bedding. Maybe also just plain fiberglass resin, but in any event, if I was to mount a scope on my zoave, that is what I'd be doing at the outset. I don't know that the barrel at the breech end is that thin, your zoave can take a hell of a load and to actually tap into it might be a safe alternative of its own.... otherwise I'd "stick it on"... and if it don't work... with some effort you'd be able to remove any of the residual glass.

Aloha... :cool:

doc1876
06-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Montana Valley arms has a great scope system that the buffalo hunters used in the day. you might check out sharp shooters of the Civil War, and notice that they used something similar. I have a real nice 3x brass scope that is around 3'long that I have been thinking of like your idea, I just can't seem to get it done.
As a sniper rifle, the Witworth was real popular, and the Enfield looks close enough for me.

Newtire
07-05-2015, 01:26 AM
I used Permatex Ultra Silicone "gasket maker" to mount a scope on an octagon m/l. You can carry the rifle using the scope as a handle. Talk about some strong stuff. Would have never thought it possible.