PDA

View Full Version : 358009

mainiac
01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Well fellers, I found a brand new 358009+brand new handles today.This is 2 cavity,and real heavy! Did a search awhile back,and these appear to be in big demand.I let one pass a few years back, and regretted it,now i found another one,and decided to buy it.Aint sure if ill ever use this thing, and was wondering about how much they go for? Cant picture myself buying a whelen,and dont think it would be a good fit in the 35 rem.Thought about putting it in the trade/sell column,but dont know what i want to do with it. Need some opinions please. I see reference of them going for 100-140 bucks on ebay.Did any of you fellers pay this price,for this mold?Then again, i would probaly be ashamed to admit it! HA!

MT Gianni
01-12-2008, 11:42 PM
I keep looking for one but my top end is $75-80. I tend to get outbid. I have a bator heavy 6 cavity and it does most of what I need but prefer LY lube grooves to Lees. Gianni

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 11:45 PM
................Last one I saw on E-Bone went for over $100. Maybe like $125 or so. In any event it started another thread on how the people at Lyman have their heads in the wrong spot. They could do one or 2 re-issues a year of some moulds and make some bucks and make some casters happy.

...............Buckshot

jhalcott
01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
I'd NEVER go that high $100+ fior that mold. It would only be good in the Whelen or other BIG .35 gun. I ain't real sure it would work in the 358Winny either.What does the guy selling it want?

Bass Ackward
01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Well fellers, I found a brand new 358009+brand new handles today.This is 2 cavity,and real heavy! Did a search awhile back,and these appear to be in big demand.I let one pass a few years back, and regretted it,now i found another one,and decided to buy it.Aint sure if ill ever use this thing, and was wondering about how much they go for? Cant picture myself buying a whelen,and dont think it would be a good fit in the 35 rem.Thought about putting it in the trade/sell column,but dont know what i want to do with it. Need some opinions please. I see reference of them going for 100-140 bucks on ebay.Did any of you fellers pay this price,for this mold?Then again, i would probaly be ashamed to admit it! HA!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unfortunately, I don't see it.

People often look at mold costs and judge on the past. I rate mold expense based on the number of jacketed bullets at today's prices until it's paid for. But then again, I shoot cast to be like jacketed so I can do that.

At $140 that's what? 150 to 200 jacketed bullets? Then the mold is free to be sold again.

But I don't shoot a 35 for plinking. And mine won't shoot for squat down there anyway. Mastadon's are long gone from the country side here. So how long in my life would it take to use 200 HEAVY jacketed for hunting and lining in? And what would you need these for that 250's can't handle if hardened a little? So I would probably shoot none, as I would go up in bore diameter anyway if called for.

So I wouldn't buy one if it were at normal mold costs for a Lyman mold. @ $75 with handles. And if Lyman ever does catch on and make a run, those high prices wont hold. So you take your chances.

waksupi
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
It does work in the .358 Win. but may need deep seating in some rifles.
I'm glad I got in on the Bator Heavy version of this bullet. It's proved very accurate. However, if I didn't have one, and needed one, I would most likely go to Mountain Molds and get one for around $60.

sundog
01-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Maniac, I think you did darn swell, especially since you mention regretting not getting one before. You may think that you will never need it, but who knows.... How's the moose hunting up your way? When David Mos made the group buy moulds of this one the DC were $125, sans handles. Of course, they are a cut above the Lyman, but if the finished boolit is acceptable, it makes little difference. As mentioned, this boolit has rather limited application, but in it's niche, it is unparalleled. If nothing else, you could always pour a hundred year supply, and then resell on ebone. Personally, I wouldn't do anything as foolish as that. What really needs to happen is that you now build a 35 Whelen...

stocker
01-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I bought one about 5 years back for $75.00 less handles. Then I found another one 2 years ago at $60.00 new in the box and bought it too. My 1/14 Whelens shoot it very nicely and it is an authoritative big game boolit. I doubt I will ever recover a boolit from game. Lubed and checked, mine complete at 287 grains. I have good use for the heavy up here while Bass appears not to. I have also found 358318 to be a very accurate boolit but mine is a single cavity and I tend to use it less than the big ones simply because I can't cast them as quickly. Neither booolit would be ideal, maybe not even useable in 35 rems. but they are just fine in 35 Whelens , 358 Normas , and if you happen to have a 35 Win. should work well in that too.

mainiac
01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Maniac, I think you did darn swell, especially since you mention regretting not getting one before. You may think that you will never need it, but who knows.... How's the moose hunting up your way? When David Mos made the group buy moulds of this one the DC were $125, sans handles. Of course, they are a cut above the Lyman, but if the finished boolit is acceptable, it makes little difference. As mentioned, this boolit has rather limited application, but in it's niche, it is unparalleled. If nothing else, you could always pour a hundred year supply, and then resell on ebone. Personally, I wouldn't do anything as foolish as that. What really needs to happen is that you now build a 35 Whelen...

Sundog, the moose hunting is just fine.All my friends have luck, theres tons of moose around. Myself,i have never put in for a permit. The season is to damn earily for me. I wouldnt consider paying a slaughter shop to process my meat. And when the season is going on, its 60-70 degrees around here, since i dont have a big cooler, and prefer to hang my meat, ive never decided to kill one.I love making jerky,,,,, can you imagine how much jerky one could make off a 1000 lb bull? WOW! My friend has killed a bunch of them, with you guessed it,a 35 whelen. What a awesome killer, but with a case full of 4320, the rem 7400 pump gives an instant migraine! I regretted not buying the first one,because i didnt know how mech demand there was for this mold. Could have had that one for 20 bucks! I paid quite alot for this one, and thought i might use it for trading material, at least.

sundog
01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Mainiac, I'll trade ya my Roy Rogers trick pocket knife for it.

mainiac
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Mainiac, I'll trade ya my Roy Rogers trick pocket knife for it.

I am going to a gunshow next weekend, and then i will probaly put it up for trade. What i need is a rcbs 200,and a 225438 lyman. Roy Rodgers knife would be cool though! He dont mean to much to me though, im a 39 year old greenhorn,that grew up to late for ol roy.

Pepe Ray
01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
mainiac said "I am going to a gunshow next weekend, and then i will probaly put it up for trade."
So, Which day are ya goin'? Are ya goin' w/ a bunch from the mill? What time do ya plan to be there? Do ya like nosey questions? Huh? Do ya?

mainiac
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
mainiac said "I am going to a gunshow next weekend, and then i will probaly put it up for trade."
So, Which day are ya goin'? Are ya goin' w/ a bunch from the mill? What time do ya plan to be there? Do ya like nosey questions? Huh? Do ya?

Early as i can get there saturday. My oldest boy is going with me,and my better half said she wanted to go for a ride.SWCCB (she who controls checkbook!)

AnthonyB
01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I paid $500 for my Ideal 3589, but managed to get a bunch of other moulds to come in the same buy. I'd gladly pay $100 if I didn't have one. Sundog gifted me one of the Mos 358009 Improved moulds that dropped a little smaller than spec, and getting Buckshot to HP the Ideal is on my list of things to do. 37 grains of IMR 3031 drive the Mos version at above 1900 fps from my 356 Winchester carbine, and I can't think of anything I'd worry about shooting with that load. Tony

Maineboy
01-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Well Maniac, I hope I eventually get lucky in the Maine moose lottery, cause I've applied unsuccesfully forever. After searching for a year or more for a "reasonable" 358009, Sundog gifted me one of the Mos 358009 Improved moulds that dropped a little smaller than spec as well, and it's a real shooter in the 1 in 12" twist Whelen that I had built on a Mauser action. Now I have my moose gun, my moose boolit, but no moose tag. Maybe THIS year... If I was you, I'd hang on to that mold.

Blammer
01-14-2008, 10:00 AM
anybody thought about an NEI GB mould?

how about either of these....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/TBS358cal009.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/358009_277RNFPgr.jpg

MT Gianni
01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I like the 2nd one but would probably go for a 2 cav through MT molds or look and see what CBE offers. Gianni

Maineboy
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I had some feeding problems in my Whelen with my David Moss version of the 358009 because it's such a long boolit and has a very blunt nose. You might want to take that into consideration before considering one with a huge meplat.

Blammer
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
good suggestions! I like it!

thanks! these are just "fun" pics to get things going. I have not really looked into the details of them yet.