PDA

View Full Version : Flag help

waynem34
05-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Facing my house I hung my flag to the right of the door on the porch.Is there a certain way it should be hung.I know the union should be up except in dire emergency.Probly does'nt matter much.I looked on the www and found lots of flag etiquette.Not sure what was meant that the union should face the viewer lol.Thanks The flag Looks good in the breeze today.

willie_pete
05-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Flag vertical, Stars up and left as you face it.

WP

histed
05-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Willie nailed it. And, no offense intended, thanks for caring enough to ask. Many don't. Pet peeve

Bloodman14
05-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Yes, the Union, or the field of stars, goes to the flag's own right, or, to the left of the viewer. It is amazing how many people don't know that, or even care. Like histed said, thanks for asking.

nvbirdman
05-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Many times I have seen people wearing various uniforms that have a flag on the sleeve and the union is on the right side of the flag as I'm looking at it. I've always thought that looked backwards, and I guess I was right.

1911cherry
05-26-2014, 10:36 PM
That's a deployment patch, usually seen on servicemen and women, means they will soon be in the sandbox. The stars fly forward into battle...

skeettx
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
willie pete, I like your pocket rocket :)

I got mine at Malmstrom AFB 1971 - 1976 Missile Crew
Whiteman AFB 1977 - 1979 RV Branch Chief (Munition)
Kelly AFB 1984 - 1995 Nuclear Munitions Staff Officer Directorate of Nuclear Weapons

From 1979 to 1984 Was at InterService Nuclear Weapons School at Kirtland AFB

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thumbs/badge.jpg http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thumbs/nucs.jpg

willie_pete
05-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Titan II Crew Commander from '73-'77. 400+ alerts under North Arkansas. We had a saying that everyday above ground was a good day. Now I say the same thing but for a different reason. ;)

WP

gbrown
05-28-2014, 09:15 AM
The easy way to remember the correct placement of the U.S. flag is to assume the identity of the flag. It is always to the right (place of honor on the battlefield) and, if displayed vertically, the field of stars is to the right. Act as if you are the flag. If placed on a podium, it goes to the right side of the podium (stage) as you (the flag) face the audience. Link below has complete flag etiquette.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

dakotashooter2
05-28-2014, 09:44 AM
I remember learning flag etiquette in school.............. sadly, even that is no longer taught in school.... What IS taught in school now days?....all the important stuff seems to have been thrown out...................

willie_pete
05-28-2014, 11:18 AM
73-77 wasn't that the time frame that a Titan II blew up during refueling I think Searcy, might be remembering wrong..
Nope just looked it up that was 1965 the Titan II blew up.

Someone has it wrong. The Titan II blew up in Sept 1980 near Damascus, AR; one of the sites I used to pull alert in. In 1965 a missile silo had a flash fire and killed 54 contractors working inside near Searcy , AR. That was the haunted site; 3-4. Another one where I used to pull alerts.

WP

Lee
05-29-2014, 03:41 AM
Pretty much understood. BUT.. In front of the house, bars to the right looking out from the house, or bars to the right when viewed from the street>

I'm sorry, don't mean to complicate stuff, just asking. And of course the wind don't comply;)

willie_pete
05-29-2014, 04:23 AM
Pretty much understood. BUT.. In front of the house, bars to the right looking out from the house, or bars to the right when viewed from the street>

I'm sorry, don't mean to complicate stuff, just asking. And of course the wind don't comply;)

Flag vertical, Stars up and left as you face it FROM THE STREET.

WP

skeettx
05-29-2014, 12:02 PM
This should help
See number 8.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm

Mike

Lee
05-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you willie pete!!! and skeetx

ncbearman
06-24-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm surprised no mention of Boy Scouts on here yet. Actually Cub Scouts is where you learn about the flag and it's etiquette. So there are still alot of 10, 11, 12 year olds out there learning at an early age. But it's not from school. Interesting thing about the deployment patch. I'm not sure of details, but Congress had to approve it. It's the only exception to the protocol ever granted since the protocols were established.

Shout out to all the Eagle Scouts out there! Your an Eagle Scout for life. I have 2 sons that are Eagle Scouts.

skeettx
06-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Well done ncbearman, it takes the entire family to make an Eagle Scout!!
Well done !!!!

Mike

doc1876
06-25-2014, 03:05 PM
That's a deployment patch, usually seen on servicemen and women, means they will soon be in the sandbox. The stars fly forward into battle...

What he said,
and the thing that makes it easy, "the flag goes on it's own right" so if you are at a concert, a speech, or your own house, it's own right.

WRideout
06-26-2014, 06:13 AM
One of my pet peeves is the "patriotic" people who decorate their yards with tiny US flags, which stay there until they fall over and are left on the ground. When my wife and I go on walks in out neighborhood, I occasionally find these little flags being desecrated. I will pick them up and bring them home to be formally retired. My wife doesn't like it, but I can't stand the thought of the disrespect shown to our national emblem.

Wayne

ncbearman
06-26-2014, 09:03 AM
One of my pet peeves is the "patriotic" people who decorate their yards with tiny US flags, which stay there until they fall over and are left on the ground. When my wife and I go on walks in out neighborhood, I occasionally find these little flags being desecrated. I will pick them up and bring them home to be formally retired. My wife doesn't like it, but I can't stand the thought of the disrespect shown to our national emblem.

Wayne

Tell her you are not alone. I stop and tell people when I see that their flag is displayed and tattered. I have a $5 3x5 nylon I offer them in trade to retire theirs. Maybe a bit extreme but I feel strongly about it. btw- my $5 flag is made in china haha.... Harbor Freight