PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

Big Goose
05-25-2014, 11:12 PM
As Memorial day has it's beginnings(as Decoration Day) in the years shortly following the American Civil War to honor those more than 600,000 Americans that gave their lives during that conflict and to honor those hundreds of thousands servicemen and women who have paid that price for our freedom in all the days since;
( I do apologize as the audio quality is not great- been meaning to get together and re-record it, but life has been in the way lately)
Hope you like the message....
http://youtu.be/0X6qvS1gPSU

This is the theme for an injured veterans program through the Dive Pirates organization, please check out "The Great Adventure" on their website.
Thanks,
Chris

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Thank you for sharing the video.

Larry Gibson
05-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Lest we forget........

Larry Gibson

MBTcustom
05-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Thank you.

That's not enough, but it's all I have. I know who payed for my freedom, and they didn't ask for a thing in return.
To the men on this board that have served and fought for me:
I can't solute you, I don't even have the ability to show you that respect.
There's nothing I can give you that wouldn't look like chump change in comparison.
There's nothing I can say or do that won't seem foolish when compared to the actions you have taken for me.
I am aware that there are men and women who allowed themselves to be uprooted, tortured, maimed and killed to allow me to make the decisions that I will make today and to give me the opportunity's that I have.
God help me to live in a worthy manner and not cheapen the lives that were lost to provide me with my freedom to type this with a rifle at my elbow.
There are no words. There are no actions. There is only grateful acceptance and reverence for the gift.

To all who have fallen for me: Thank you.

MrWolf
05-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Aye, what Tim said. Thank you for your service and a special send out to my Marine nephew.

NewbieDave007
05-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Very well said Tim. Thank you all for your service.

grrifles
05-26-2014, 11:58 AM
For all that they have given. They only ask to be REMEMBERED. Also say a prayer for their families.

Hamish
05-26-2014, 12:15 PM
I did an enlistment in the Navy, but not during war time, and I get a really wierd feeling the last few years when someone tells me thank you. Thank you is for those who served at the peril of life and limb.

Tim did a good job of saying it right and all I can do is add my voice to his.

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2014, 12:56 PM
I did an enlistment in the Navy, but not during war time, and I get a really wierd feeling the last few years when someone tells me thank you. Thank you is for those who served at the peril of life and limb.

Tim did a good job of saying it right and all I can do is add my voice to his.

I was there about the same (peace time?) period.

I never thought we did anything special till someone reminded me that WE were the ones that were there when Khrushchev threatened world peace.

Because of YOU and others not one in America HAD to learn how to speak Russian

Yes I still feel very uncomfortable when thanked because there are so many here that gave so much more.

I think the staff did the right thing in making Tim a MODERATOR.

He is outstanding.

rockrat
05-26-2014, 01:00 PM
It might have been peacetime, but that could have changed at a moments notice. You DID join, that is what matters. You wrote that check, and it could have been cashed in, "up to and including".

So I say "Thank You" and "God Bless" to all that have served, and currently serving. We do remember!!

smoked turkey
05-26-2014, 01:22 PM
I am with Tim when I say "Thank-You" to all who served, but it doesn't do justice to those who were willing to pay the supreme sacrifice, and those who came back less than whole and to those who didn't get to walk back but were carried back. THANK-YOU!!

DougGuy
05-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Exactly. A BIG thank you to all who served and passed on whether they passed in service or afterwards.

I didn't know that Memorial Day had it's beginnings in Charleston, SC, but the story goes (and there are more than one story and more than one city that lays claim to it's beginning) that on this day in 1865, freed blacks dug up the bodies of 237 Union soldiers who had died in a Confederate prison camp and were buried in a mass grave. They re-buried the remains in proper graves, and to show their appreciation for the soldiers who had fought valiantly to free them from slavery, they marched in the streets of Charleston by the thousands, and it was called "Decoration Day" or "First Decoration Day."

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Last night a black lady talk show host here in Chiraq was irate Because "the rev jaksssssun" went on a 3 hour rampage on another station about if it had not been for blacks there would not be a Memorial Day.

It was Americans that we are remembering no matter the color or where they served that we pay our respect to.

She is one fine lady to stand up to him and remind him we all are Americans FIRST---LAST--- AND ALWAYS.

trys357
05-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Remembering all of those who sacrificed there lives for our freedom.

AlaskanGuy
05-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Nice....

AG

scarry scarney
05-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Thank you, very moving....

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Why do I keep getting this message?

Invalid Attachment specified.

square butte
05-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Me too - on all of them

Teddy (punchie)
05-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Yes!! Thanks for all that have and will Serve for our Freedom. Not just all in the Military, but special that for them to.

histed
05-26-2014, 07:11 PM
"That from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave their last full measure of devotion." To Tim, Alaska, and every vet on this forum - my heartfelt thanks. To all who served, especially those who gave that last full measure - there are those who remember. God Bless You all.

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2014, 07:23 PM
And lest I forget the brave pilot in 1957 that when his engine quit refused to eject so he could guide it away from the grammar school full of grade school students.