PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Safe Question

Circuit Rider
05-25-2014, 09:58 PM
A fellow shooter is looking at the Winchester safe Tractor Supply has on sale. He is concerned about the electronic lock battery failing and losing memory, then not being able to open the safe. We discussed the possibility of changing the lock to manual if it wasn't too expensive. Any one have experience with the electronic locks? Thanks for any and all advise. James

Sweetpea
05-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Who actually makes the safe? (Not Winchester)

Mine stores the code, even when changing batteries, and is sure to let me know when the batteries are getting low, about every 3-4 years.

That said, I've always changed the batteries with the door open...[smilie=1:

merlin101
05-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Had mine for two years now and haven't had to changed the battery yet. No problems with it at all.

Mk42gunner
05-25-2014, 10:29 PM
More to the point, who made the lock?

We started to get a few Sargeant & Greenleaf electronic locks on safes and vault doors in the mid 1990's while I was in the Navy. Questioning the base locksmith on various bases about dependability, they all said they hadn't seen any problems yet, (I retired in 2004).

I still like a good mechanical lock better, but I never had any problems with the electrical ones I was around.

Robert

Circuit Rider
My friend said he thought they were built by Granite, tho not sure. James

RP
The electric locks are quick and fast I have heard that they will bite you sooner on later from a locksmith but for the ease and speed of opening the safe its worth the hearsay I got from him. As far as the safe there is not that many place that make them the main thing is the fire rating for the most part. I have had one for 8 years and have not change the battery yet which I need to do just keeps slipping my mind when I am there. I also replace the dial lock on my sons safe with a key pad and its the best upgrade I think for a safe. BTW the new keypad was right at 100 bucks and not hard to install took me about 20 mins then about a hour to program lol. The main problem was the instructions for programing were not correct and I use a cheat sheet to get it done. So to answer you ? I do not think you will regret a key pad for the speed and ease of opening the safe.

williamwaco
05-25-2014, 10:45 PM
The code is stored in non volatile memory.
It will not forget the code because the battery dies.

Not sure how it would survive 1700 degrees for 2 hours.

Sweetpea
05-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Not sure how it would survive 1700 degrees for 2 hours.

Really not an issue, as everything inside would be destroyed long before that...

lancem
05-25-2014, 11:10 PM
I think it was $70 and I changed mine to a mechanical lock, I'm not in a hurry to get in and I've had a lifetime of spinning dials so it isn't much slower. The change over is easy and I just feel better knowing that the mechanical failure is pretty slight in my opinion.

WILCO
05-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks for any and all advise. James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9oLj3x6kV0

osteodoc08
05-26-2014, 02:09 AM
I bought one of those safes 2 or 3 years ago when they were on sale and I had a 20 or 25% coupon. For a cheap RSC, I can't complain. Better than nothing. I'd eventually like to upgrade, but last time I looked at that it was over $8500 for the size and ratings I wanted.

The lock has been fine.

762 shooter
05-26-2014, 06:18 AM
I bought a Winchester safe at Sam's Club about 5 years ago with the electronic keypad. The safe is made by Granite and the dial is Sargeant & Greenleaf.

I bought a manual dial for about $60 and had a locksmith install it for about $25.

Electronic dial worked fine. The manual dial makes me feel better.

6bg6ga
05-26-2014, 07:00 AM
When companies like LeFebure corp, Mosler corp, and Diebold corp trusted electronic locks I don't think you have anything to worry about. As stated they store the lock code and retain it even if you loose the battery for a long time. Relax and trust technology.

xtphreak
05-26-2014, 07:40 AM
If it's electronic,
It WILL fail eventually.

Yes they're faster to open, but do you keep your home defense locked away or immediately accessible?

I'm amazed by the number of people who carry concealed, but lock all weapons up at home.

EMP anyone?

jcameron996
05-27-2014, 12:20 AM
CHANGE THE BATTERY WITH THE DOOR OPEN!!! Don't ask me how I know. The mechanical lock may not be as fast but it is definetly more reliable. I won't buy another safe with an electric lock.

lefty o
05-27-2014, 12:53 AM
i agree 100% with the it is electronic it will fail eventually comment. i learned the hard way. safe with a S&G electronic lock, yup it failed. end result, i learned exactly how fast i can cut open the side of a safe. while mechanical dial locks can also fail, it is 1000X less likely to happen.

Ehaver
05-27-2014, 01:10 AM
I am thinking that those eletronic buttons under the numbers will wear out eventualy.

David2011
05-27-2014, 02:31 AM
Mine came with a pair of keys in the event of the electronics failing. I keep them in a safe that has a mechanical lock.

David

dakotashooter2
05-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Mine (a different brand) also came with keys. One is stashed the other is in the family safety deposit box............

doc1876
05-28-2014, 12:23 PM
I have an electric, and a standard combination. The electric lost battery, and I don't remember how I got in, but it was not really an issue, I just emailed the factory, and they told me the method. you do have to keep the original code, as that is part of getting in, and use the key. The combination is a pain in the rear to open. four turns..three turns, two turns ...argh! but yes, it will never fail.

One thing I did hear from a safe qualified lock smith is that the electronic safes, have a "sensor" similar to your car, and if the "black shirts" sap your house it will kill your safe combination guaranteeing them safe access to your house. Now while I am truly a believer in conspiracy theories, This seems a little extreme.