PDA

View Full Version : Hard times are on me now

Lead melter
01-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Just got in from a wrestling tournament today and got a call from a buddy with bad news. My local shooting range has been sold to the Boy Scouts and is scheduled to cease operations in mid-March.
The place is just 7 miles away with dues of $100/year. To my knowledge, the nearest alternative is about 30 miles with a $500 membership fee and dues of $600/year. The only other range in the county is a private number. Anyone can come and shoot anything they bring out to 700 yards, but is open only on Sunday afternoons. No fee, just mind your manners.
This really puts a damper on my holiday spirits!
Anyone got any creative ideas on land leasing for a personal range. I'm sure I will be at my wit's end before too long.

[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

wolfspotter
01-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I feel bad for you bro :( I guess Sundays are better than nothing. I pay $10.00 a year for a 100yd range about 25 miles away and $45.00 for a nice 200yd range about five miles away.

dmftoy1
01-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure how practical it would be for you but about 5 years ago we moved out to the country and I found out I had neighbors who all liked to shoot. We put up a pistol and a rifle range that straddles our properties. Maybe you could plan a move out to the boonies?

Swamprat1052
01-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Thats a shame, sure hope you find an answer soon. I pay $100 a year about 10 miles away. Sure is handy. Those free public ranges sure get crowded, and if its only open on Sunday I bet it is. Might be time for a bunch of you guys that shoot at that one to band together and start another private one. Surely someone owns a piece of land closeby that would be interested.

Swamprat

crowbeaner
01-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I'd contact the local scout HQ and suggest leasing shooting privileges to qualified individuals and suggest the use of the facilities for hunter safety classes. If the Scout program still has the marksmanship badge, they may be amenable to the use and potential revenue from the shooting leases to upgrade the facility and improve other properties they own. The BSA always needs volunteers and some spare time is a good way to improve relations. It also may help the public image of scouting due to the liberal press bashing their non gay scoutmaster rules. Any improvement of the Scout program's image is desirable. I was a Scout, and it didn't hurt me one bit. Extra help on trips and camporees and at camp should be welcome. As an aside, you don't see Boy Scouts standing on the street corner waiting for trouble from rivals or selling illicit substances in back alleys. CB.

400cor-bon
01-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm just north of you in Wilkes county,
and I just go to the bottom of my barkyard to shoot 22s into the holler:Fire:
Never had a complaint yet.
I can set up whatever I want, just cut back the brush and set targets
A previous neighbor would hang out on his porch
shooting crows with a 20 gauge while driking beer:???:
I have shot some big bore stuff down there too and no one complained. . . . .
I just lose a lot of brass into that hole . . . .

MT Gianni
01-12-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd contact the local scout HQ and suggest leasing shooting privileges to qualified individuals and suggest the use of the facilities for hunter safety classes. If the Scout program still has the marksmanship badge, they may be amenable to the use and potential revenue from the shooting leases to upgrade the facility and improve other properties they own. The BSA always needs volunteers and some spare time is a good way to improve relations. It also may help the public image of scouting due to the liberal press bashing their non gay scoutmaster rules. Any improvement of the Scout program's image is desirable. I was a Scout, and it didn't hurt me one bit. Extra help on trips and camporees and at camp should be welcome. As an aside, you don't see Boy Scouts standing on the street corner waiting for trouble from rivals or selling illicit substances in back alleys. CB.

Most Scout property is used weekends and summer. Ask if they could continue a range 1 day a week during the weekdays if the old club furnished a rangemaster. Gianni

monadnock#5
01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Adult leadership is needed in many areas of Scouting. Find out from the local Scoutmaster who you should talk to on the local Council to find out what they need for Merit Badge councilors. If you're lucky, they need a smallbore and or shotgun councilor. If not, find out what they do need. Friends of the Scouts are well treated in many ways.

Morgan Astorbilt
01-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Too bad you're so far from me, I'd let you shoot on my range. I'm in Rutherford Co., half way between Marion and Shelby, on hwy226. The $600/$500 club you're referring to, must be the Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. Theres the Catawba Valley Wildlife Club, below Hickory on Hwy 10 that's is very reasonable regarding dues, $200/$100, but might be farther than you want to travel.
Morgan

Powderpacker
01-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Does the local F.O.P. have a range ? In some areas, associate members (non LEO's) are allowed to use the range . It might only be a handgun range but it's better than nothing . Dues for associate members are usually pretty reasonable, too.

Lead melter
01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I was somewhat misinformed. I spoke with the manager about the situation, and was told that the Girl Scouts has bought the property, so that pretty much ends the chance of a Merit Badge range situation.
Good idea, though, Crowbeaner.

dmftoy1...well, with my current marital situation, I may be moving soon, but I just don't think that path is in the works right now. Thanks anyway!

Swamprat...some of us are kicking that idea around right now, will keep you posted.

400Cor-Bon...with you being that close, we should get together and tell a few lies someday soon. Where are you...Wilkesboro, N. Wilkesboro, Mt. Pleasant, Union Grove, Amish country?

Morgan...actually no, it's a small place called Shooters Sporting Club located between Statesville and Harmony. You are correct, it is a little far to drive on a regular basis, but send out an invitation and we'll get together one day, shoot a little, shoot a lot of bull, and maybe chow down on some good cooking!

Powderpacker...yes, I am attempting to follow that thread as well. Thanks!

Freightman
01-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Know how you feel! several years ago the city shut down the municipal range that had been open for 60 years due to a greedy land owner. He had a man move his trailer above the range and shot through the thing himself as the bullet went straight through at 11/4 miles away no angle. The city shut it down and he wanted to lease it for his cattle , but they refused.
It took five years of going to meetings and letters to get a range open in another place. Do not give up, it takes a united effort but it can be done.
The range they built is a LEO range Monday, Tuesdat and Wednesday then a public range thru Sunday. The NRA and TSRA helped in the prossess and I feel beter about the membership dues to each of them as they do help.

shooter575
01-13-2008, 10:35 AM
With all the recent bad PR about lead of late I am supprised that a piece of property loaded with all that "bad lead" would be bought by the Girl Scouts.Would seem the legal types would of nixed that piece of property?I wonder if they know?I can see the local headlines now.
"Girl scouts places children on LEAD contaminated site" Just think of what the soccer moms will say when interviewed....
At least you should see if you can mine the berms first.Just to make it easyer on the EPA certfied high dollar company that will need to be hired after that $#!? hits the fan
Sorry about you range loss though.

miestro_jerry
01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Way back when Hector was a pup, my local in town NRA sanction rifle and pistol range was sold to the local police department. The PD gain a great range, but cut off non department use.

So it was shooting on my grand fathers farm when I could, then later it was using the range on Saturday while I was in the Army. Today, since I retired and moved to Somerton, I have my back yard and 2 local ranges. I am now in heaven, but it took 40 years to get to this point.

Jerry

trooperdan
01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Leadmelter, I hope that isn't the range that has the Glock GSSF shoot every year! I used to shoot that match every year but have laid off for the last couple.. hope it isn't going away! I'd still ask the Girl Scout leadership about any options to still use the range and start a marksmanship program for them!

pecos
01-14-2008, 10:46 PM
You guys make me appreciate what we have. Anyone thinking about retirement to the sunny SW, check out Roswell NM. We own our land, club range is about 4 miles from town, a match of some kind each Saturday, Sunday and almost every Wednesday. Members only get a key. No shooting on Monday morning. Daylight to dark otherwise. Dues $60.00 per year. regards to all, pecos

Sam Carp
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Look into PHA.-- phashoots.com -- It cost $400.00 for the 1st. year and then $100.00 a year from then on.

Sam

JSH
01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't know how big the GSA is in your area. The BSA in this area is fairly good sized, as there are several troops a year that use our club for over night camping. I mean it seems to me that a lot of these organizayions have their hand out for freebe's all the time, which is ok as I feel it is a good thing. May be more $ in the back ground than one would think.

I don't know how big the range or club was that you speak of. The lead issue into the berms and shotgun areas does bring in a lot of terms to buying and selling a property of this type. Not to doubt you, but sounds kind of funny to me that either of the above mentioned organizations would purchase this type or property. Did you get this info from say the person you pay your dues too, or a board memeber?
Jeff

KCSO
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
How about donating some work to a local farmer and setting up your own range?

94Doug
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I got some bad news in the form of a Tax Bill. Turns out our land we own is now considered "recreational" and not farm land anymore. That, and a new school in that district means double the tax, apparently.

Doug

crowbeaner
01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
HMMPH. With all the discourse on women in combat roles in the military one would think the GSA would have a marksmanship program too. I doubt all of our men and women in harm's way would object to having women who can shoot well. The GSA should welcome any program that advances women in this man's world. (Flaming expected. Incoming.)

TAWILDCATT
01-15-2008, 10:17 PM
94dug:how can they change the zoning without notifying abuters?or having a hearing and vote on it.
I notice that in the south there is a dirth of ranges.especialy indoor ranges.I still belong to a club in Mass with over 300 members and a $35 fee.
I was lucky to find a place here in S.C. close to I 95 and 90 acres of timber and cropland.for $70,000.shoot any time. if your young save your money and buy retirement land,usually the taxes are low.but who listens to PAPA.:coffee:[smilie=1: