PDA

View Full Version : Library Trip

TXGunNut
05-25-2014, 12:42 AM
Spent some time in the (Cabela's) Library today, doing a little research. ;-) They had a couple of nice enough leverguns in the rack outside, just not what I was looking for. They had a couple of pretty rare 1873 Trappers in 44-40 that were very interesting...until the bore light came on. :-( Another 1873 SRC was even worse in the bore but a very nice wallhanger if you like that stuff. A couple of 92's also failed the "shooter" test. A nice old 94 in 32 WS was a bit better but still not what I was looking for. Fondled a few other 94's that came in recently but I just didn't see anything I couldn't live without. My favorite library guy was showing off for his boss, I guess. We looked at close to a dozen guns, closely examining and critiqueing each before I finally asked to see the gun that has been eating at me all week.
I spotted a Winchester Legendary Frontiersman in 38-55 last weekend and have been intrigued by the cartridge for over 25 years. It ate on me all week while I did some research, was glad to see it still there when I walked in today. Had a couple of surprises, tho. It's actually a NIB gun and the wood is above average, even for a commemorative gun. Metal polish and bluing is consistent with other guns of it's type; actually quite good. Also it's a rifle, not a carbine; I've begun to prefer them over carbines for serious shooting. I think shorter bbls and barrel bands hurt accuracy a bit. Some gaps between wood and steel around the tang but that could be due to wood simply drying up a bit.
Best part is he came off the price $100 instead of the $50 I was hoping for. :!: Gun was a little overpriced so it's all good. Had a nice pile of Cabelas points so I walked out with a nice NIB commemorative for little more than a decent used 94, hundreds less than a new Miroku.
Life is good when a beautiful Winchester levergun follows you home! FYIW they recently bought a large Colt collection, seems to be mostly NIB guns from the '80's, several third (fourth) gen SAA's, Pythons and other interesting stuff.

35 shooter
05-25-2014, 01:57 AM
Sounds like a really good deal for that rifle. Nib too? Sweet!

TXGunNut
05-25-2014, 02:11 AM
Sounds like a really good deal for that rifle. Nib too? Sweet!

Thanks, I thought so too. Wonder where all the brass went? Was plentiful just days ago. Still looking for a really good pre-64 94 but not in a big hurry. It'll show up some day.

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 03:18 PM
OK, I give up. Assuming 38-55 brass is available someday which length should I buy for this rifle? I was thinking 2.080 but the Starline site said 2.125 would probably work.

ammohead
05-26-2014, 07:40 PM
I have a 94AE 26" late run from New Haven and found that I had to shorten my brass to 2.065" to crimp in the groove on the lee 255 grain boolit. A good 38-55 mould at a good price. The single shots don't have to worry about C.O.A.L. but levers do. It comes as a bevel base boolit that I am not too fond of. But I made mine into a plain base mould with the tip of a very sharp buck knife a little at a time.

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Didn't see that mould, what does diameter does it drop? When was that rifle built? I ordered some 2.125" cases, 45coltnut has a very similar rifle and they work fine for him. Figure I can always trim them but I'm not set up to stretch them.
I'm thinking a PB boolit is called for in this cartridge too, that's why I like the new 380681 Lyman featured in a thread around here somewhere.