PDA

View Full Version : sitting in the ER...kidney stones

tomme boy
05-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Was out fishing today and was having a great day with the old lady. Then all of a sudden I felt like someone kicked me in the family jewels. We were on a small river in the boat. About 5 miles from the ramp. We started back when the pain got so bad I about passed out. I had to let the old lady drive the boat. We only have a 6hp motor so it takes time to go any where. She pulled over to a cabin that there were people outside and called the ambulance. I have never been in such pain as this before I did not know what it was. It took about 30min for them to show up and another 30min to get to the er. The pain didn't start to go away for another 20 min or so. You should have seen the size of the rock that came out. Waiting right now for the cat scan to come back. The boat is still on the river. Going to Bea dark ride to get it back tonight.

theperfessor
05-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Ouch! Kidney stones are no laughing matter.

Zymurgy50
05-24-2014, 09:51 PM
I hate to be the first one to say this..... but this too, shall pass....

Watched my dad go through 3 different kidney stone attacks, so I really feel for you. Don't think you are going back for the boat tonight though.

bdicki
05-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Your lucky it came out that fast, it could go on for days.

GT27
05-24-2014, 09:55 PM
I compare it to what peeing molten lava would feel like!Glad to see you're ok now!:drinks:

HollandNut
05-24-2014, 09:55 PM
first one in 1981 a monster , then passed one in 1999 , surgery in 2001 , surgery in 2012 , spent my birthday 2013 in the hospital ER over the weekend , passed a couple since then ..

Plenty of fluids is the main thing , do not let yerself get de hydrated .. Some people are stone machines ..

Blacksmith
05-24-2014, 09:56 PM
I've been through it twice and my daughter in law had them once so I asked her which is worse kidney stone or having a baby? She said no doubt about it a kidney stone hurts worse than labor pains.

Ben
05-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago.

Horrible ! !

Ben

freebullet
05-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Dang, sorry to hear that. My father had those a few times, luckily they always passed. A buddy had to have his removed surgically.

They say those are the equivalent in pain to giving birth.

Were I close I'd go get yer boat off the water for you. Stay strong.

Cmm_3940
05-24-2014, 10:01 PM
That was some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

RickinTN
05-24-2014, 10:03 PM
As mentioned above keep yourself hydrated. Drink water when you don't even think you're thirsty, especially when outdoors on hot days. Once you feel thirsty, it's too late. I have had and passed several stones and get the larger variety (5 to 7mm or so). I started drinking a little lemonade each day several months ago. I do still have stones, but they pass easier. An acid or enzyme in the lemons or lemonade dissolves the sharp edges off if it can't dissolve the complete stone. I understand drinking a sip of pickle juice each day (the vinegar is acidous) will do the same, but I've not tried it.
Good Luck and a speedy recovery,
Rick

Col4570
05-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Had stones in 1975,I can sympathise with you the pain is indeed excruciating.Those little buggers have rough exteriors and scrape their way out.I eventualy had an operation to get a large one out that was the size of a pigeons egg.I was working in Brindisi Italy and started to feel uncomfortable from there to work in Sardinia and the pain realy took hold.The weather was realy hot,We worked out side and I felt like **** and a long way from home:violin:Any way Back in the UK I was working at a local Power station when I collapsed in a heap and was rushed into hospital where they cut the thing out.Now days they can use ultrasonics and breakup and flush out the stones witout the need for an operation.Good luck I hope your pain soon subsides.

HollandNut
05-24-2014, 10:10 PM
yeah I have a big slash in my right side where my first one was removed ..

Brindisi , been drunk there before ..

Charley
05-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Had one episode, learned my lesson about kidney stones. Went to the ER at about 3 AM. Slow night, Doc came= and sat with us after giving me some painkillers/muscle relaxants. We BS'd a while, then he told me, I can give you a prescription that wiil stop this once and for all. Took out his pad, and wrote: Rx. Stop peeing rocks...

Not too funny at the time, funnier later.

DeanWinchester
05-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Sorry Tomme Boy, take good care of yourself. Nothing to do but push through it. I hate it for you bro.

WILCO
05-24-2014, 11:19 PM
it could go on for days.

It did for me. Once you've had one, you're in the club.

WILCO
05-24-2014, 11:22 PM
As mentioned above keep yourself hydrated. Drink water when you don't even think you're thirsty.......

+1 to this. Stay strong tome boy.

shoot-n-lead
05-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Good to hear that it is improving for you.

Prayer sent for your speedy recovery.

GOD bless you.

tomme boy
05-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Just got back home. One of my buddies went and got the boat for me. It was fun trying to explain how to get to this place to go get it. Go to the gas station by the curve in the road. Take a left on the 3 rd gravel road. When you see the old Oliver tractor there is a gate right past that. Go threw the gate and follow the dirt road. and on and on and on........ He found it though. The ambulance drove by 3 times before someone had to meet them at the road.

Man I am sore. Have to go get meds in the morning. The CT scat didn't show any more of them so hopefully this will be it for now.

MaryB
05-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Doesn't sound fun... worst pain I have fought is after low back surgery, this sounds worse.

Superfly
05-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I have had one stone About the size of a split pea Unfourtanitly mine cane from not the kidney. Mine ended up coming out from under my tounge. Doc said same thing as a Kidney stone but the come out of your spit glands. That there hurt bad just can't imagine one coming out of the yard stick.

NavyVet1959
05-25-2014, 12:50 AM
First one I had, I waited in the emergency room for hours before they gave me something for the pain. They gave me a prescription for Oxycontin if I remember correctly. The initial pain is when they are exiting the kidney and is rather painful. A couple of days later, the stone traverses the urethra and although painful, I did not find it as bad as the initial pain, but my stone was only 6mm. Next time I had a stone, I recognized the pain and just took some of the pain meds that I had leftover from the previous kidney stone. Pain didn't subside, so I too another one an hour later. Repeated that the next hour and maybe the hour after that. I was getting to the point where I was starting to be concerned about the possible liver damage that might occur due to the acetaminophen that they put in the Oxycontin or possible overdosing on it, but the pain was bad enough that by that point, I didn't really care anymore.

Oh, shingles is another one of those "old fart diseases" that is rather painful.

Hickory
05-25-2014, 06:20 AM
I had kidney stones once about 5-6 years ago.
I think I'd rather wake up in the hospital after losing a bar room fight.

Trey45
05-25-2014, 11:50 AM
I get kidney stones too. The last time I had them they wanted to do lithotripsy to break them up. Thankfully I passed them on my own, I was hearing from others who had lithotripsy that kidney stones were a walk in the park compared to the pain of that machine.

To those of you who get them more than once, has your urologist had you save a stone for them to test? Mine did, he told me that between all of the iced tea I drink and dairy, that my body chemistry was going to keep on making stones. I was told that if I gave up either one, that the frequency of getting the stones would drop. He was right, I haven't had a bout of kidney stones since 2005. I sure do miss ice cream sometimes.

airsmithy
05-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Both my parents have had them. I've got a cousin that for about 3 years had one break loose every 2 to 4 months. I hope you get better quickly!

wallenba
05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Like peeing a Lionel train set... with the tracks.

tomme boy
05-25-2014, 01:19 PM
just went to the pharmacy to pick up the antibiotics. 157 dollars for pills that will last a week. and that was the generic version. called back to the ER and have them check to see if anything else was available for cheaper the new medicine was $4

mold maker
05-25-2014, 01:44 PM
I had one and passing a cucklebur aint fun. Don't see how anything that small can cause so much pain.
Doc gave me a diet to follow that was impossible. I'm following most of it, but thats a bit<h also. They had to take mine, and thats a one way street.
Glad your on the mend, and keep plenty to drink.

lbaize3
05-25-2014, 05:39 PM
A number of years back my youngest brother was deer hunting in a tree stand, just outa Bandera, Texas. The pain from a kidney stone hit him so hard he nearly fell from the tree. He managed to get to his car, crawling, staggering and dragging his rifle. Somehow he drove to the Bandera Medical center and parked his car in front of the emergency door. He left the door to this car open and crawled and staggered into the receiving area, still dragging his rifle. He then threw the rifle up on the counter and yelled, "Give me something for the pain!" He said the number of pills that hit the counter top was awe inspiring... He finally got them to understand the problem and he was placed in a room with IV meds helping him along.

His wife and I had to drive to Bandera and get him out of the medical center and drive him and his car back to Southeast Texas. Man I am glad I have never had kidney stones like that....

rmatchell
05-26-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure what's worse passing them on your own or the surgery to remove them. I have had two surgeries in the last two years and have passed a few hear and there. I will say from past experience if another comes, as soon as the pain come force as much liquids as you can take and go to the ER. Also at least from my experience ship the pain meds and go strait for the flowmax and toradal along with the excess fluids. The pain meds always mess with me.

Hope you feel better.

LUBEDUDE
05-26-2014, 01:40 AM
TB, I feel your pain!

I pass one every 3-4 months due to a medication that I am on. And the benefits outweigh the pain believe it or not!

osteodoc08
05-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Dang buddy. Hope everything comes out ok (sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously though, keep the stone and consider stone analysis. Depending on the type, there are things you can do to prevent them. Calcium stones are the most common. Good thing they didn't see any more on CT. Getting shock wave lithotripsy and peeing molten lava gravel for days to weeks is no fun. Staying hydrated is the most important part as mentioned already.

Keep your head up, this too in time shall pass. (Sorry, still couldn't help myself, but it is my favorite saying. Remember that thread....LOL)

Artful
05-26-2014, 02:51 AM
been down your road several times, drink up especially just before bed - add a little lemon to your nightly water, and exercise (walk) helps also.

HollandNut
05-26-2014, 03:11 AM
My last one was lasered , much better than surgery , did as outpatient , been on Flomax ( tamsulosin ) for a couple years now and it helps a lot all around , sometimes too good , after a few stones , when it's time to pee , it's time , no holding back ..

Mine have mainly been calcium , from caffeine , which I do very little of , water is my beverage of choice ..

As I sed earlier , drink plenty of fluids , my doc ( one of the best in the country ) said staying hydrated is the biggest thing you can do , said that short spells of dehydration over time build stones .. And he said some people are stone factories , their bodies just make them all the time ..

NavyVet1959
05-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Mine have mainly been calcium , from caffeine , which I do very little of , water is my beverage of choice ..

If you can just get them from caffeine, I'm in trouble. I have a serious caffeine dependency. As in I have to have some before going to bed so that I don't wake up with a caffeine withdrawal headache.

smokeywolf
05-26-2014, 04:50 AM
Old men tend to make cholesterol and calcium stones. There is also such a thing as blood stones. Infants and children are susceptible to those; some are born with them. With the modern ultrasound, they are now, rarely mind you, detecting gall (blood stones) stones in unborn, third trimester infants.

I've minimized my consumption of tea and increased my intake of water.

Sure sorry you had to endure that tomme boy.

The old saying, "The worst day fishing is better than the best day working" doesn't seem to fit this time.

smokeywolf

shooter2
05-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Been there and I sympathize. Drink lots of water to help avoid this in the future.

mozeppa
05-26-2014, 08:20 AM
not a new rodeo for me.

i've had 7

first lasted five hours

2n...3rd...4th...5th...6th all lasted 1/2 hour to 4+

#7 however lasted 21 straight days.....and sick from the urine poisoning for 21 more.

when i passed the stone,
my wife heard it hit the toilet bowl!

we're gonna save it and have it drilled out for bowling.

seems it was a 50 cal ball stuck in a 36 cal barrel.:takinWiz::(

Garyshome
05-26-2014, 08:35 AM
The doc had to go and get mine! Ouch!!!!

dbosman
05-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Find out, they'll do a lab report on the stone, what it was.
Diet -not eating what caused it- can help prevent a re-occurrence. Mine was from too much asparagus the first time.
Acidic juices can help - if you're not diabetic. ;)

Having survived, there is less to worry about in your life. There are things that can cause pain for a longer time, but few that can cause more.

MaryB
05-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Now live day in and day out with severe pain like I do...

Don Purcell
05-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Had one two years ago and got the T-shirt. They say that a kidney stone is the same as a woman's labor pains. Have a hard time believing that because I darn well garantee you that in a years time I'm not going to be saying "Gee, I would like to have another kidney stone honey"

lead-1
05-27-2014, 03:04 AM
I feel for all of you, I have a BIL in the hospital for the second time in a week from stones. Last week they gave him meds to try to break it up and put in a catheter, it started to break up but lodged in the catheter. It was a 7mm type boulder.

Col4570
05-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Removing the Catheter can be a few moments of discomfort but a relief after the pain of passing the stones.

DR Owl Creek
05-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Hope you get well soon!

Dave

jakec
05-27-2014, 10:35 AM
man i feel for you. ive never had one and hope i dont. i don t eat much dairy at all and dont drink tea anymore. i do drink a lot of beer though. does that help or hurt as far as making them?

.45Cole
05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Tomme boy-You should sift through the older posts (search the archive) as this has been discussed before and there was some beneficial info about trying some home remedies. IIRC they were saying that at the onset of the pain they would chug coke (like a 6-pack) and something else and that would help dissolve the stone to a more manageable passing. Lots of info here.
PS the pain they described made me note the tests they were doing, and it has stuck with me since. Good luck!

bear67
05-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Be tough Tommie--I have observed the pain involved with kidney stones. Not personally but my wife of 46 years has had kidney problems since she was 11 years old. They have come a long way with treatment methods and I know modifying diet has helped with my wife.

She spent a year in Walter Reed Hospital, DC when 11 until they discovered that it was a stone--they did not look for this back then. Her right Kidney was operated on and opened 4 times and the last one, it was damaged so much it was removed. They also broke up two with ultrasound. She has survived well since then, just by doing what was recommended by her doctors to keep it from happening to the left side. For years when we lived in W Texas all the water wells on the place were Gyp water--high in calcium. I hauled water for all drinking, cooking tea ect where she would not challenge her remaining kidney. The local WTU power plant had a de-ionizing plant for it's boiler feed water and a friend who was an operator filled jugs and hauled them to our place twice a week. Thank God for friends
Keep your head up, listen to the wife/boss and get well soon

woody1
05-27-2014, 12:33 PM
I'll add my 3 bouts with kidney stones to the mix. I didn't realize so many folks had 'em. I haven't had one for about 7 yrs. now so there's hope. I never had a baby so can't compare but mine hurt so bad I puked. Regards, WOody

doc1876
05-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Please take Apple Cider Vinegar tabs. Two in the morning and two in the evening. This will help you tremendously. It also helps to rid you of bone spurs. When we get older, we need to know these things.

SSGOldfart
05-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't wish that on my worst well you know man that is painful been their and done that:-x

Hogdaddy
05-28-2014, 01:32 PM
The first one I had was the worse. They put a strap across my midsection & ratcheded it tight.
I hollerd at the doc & said if he don't undo the stap he'll be sorry. long story short, he thought they given me pain meds already but did'nt. Nurse was there in a second with a bag of demmeral(Spl).

I woke up hr or two later, pain was gone. That was the worse one I had.
Doc told me he was about to do laser surgery, As it passed the kidney i was in the clear.

Had one more about 10 yeas ago, it passed as soon as I was in the ER.. PS Take care TB & Good Luck ; )
H/D

NavyVet1959
05-28-2014, 07:19 PM
The first one I had was the worse. They put a strap across my midsection & ratcheded it tight.
I hollerd at the doc & said if he don't undo the stap he'll be sorry. long story short, he thought they given me pain meds already but did'nt. Nurse was there in a second with a bag of demmeral(Spl).

I woke up hr or two later, pain was gone. That was the worse one I had.
Doc told me he was about to do laser surgery, As it passed the kidney i was in the clear.

Demerol -- had it intramuscular; good stuff, takes away pain, puts me to sleep, nice dreams
Vicodin -- takes too much to take the edge off the pain so I start worrying about possible overdose
Oxycontin -- same result as Vicodin; can't understand how the druggies would be willing to pay so much for it
Morphine -- only had it through an IV and it hit hard and made me very fuzzy / dizzy headed very quickly, so I didn't really like it

Of course, all of these were legally prescribed / administered in response to serious injuries or illnesses. My only "recreational drugs" of choice are caffeine (coffee and sodas) and alcohol (beer -- microbrews especially).