PDA

View Full Version : Rough start to the holiday weekend!

Pb2au
05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
I had to put my plumber's hat on..
The bathtub drain decided it was a better idea to leak rather than contain water properly.
So, only one trip to the hardware store, 2 hours of work, and now the leak is repaired.
But,,,,
While I was at the store, I scooped up a brand new American flag for the front of the house, and helped an elderly lady load her mulch into her big old Caddy.

Wayne Smith
05-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I replaced the switch to my small lathe (a Record), burned up the original Brit. one. Flipped the switch, it worked, flipped it off. Went to use my table saw and no power. Flipped the breaker. It would not re-set. Unplugged the lathe, flipped the breaker, and all is good. Gotta pull the switch apart and see what I did but in the meantime I have two Lemon/Rosemary chickens on the smoker.

HollandNut
05-24-2014, 03:49 PM
helped better half with her antique business this morning , Big Orange for some all thread , breakfast at Hardees , grocery shopping , uuugghhh ..

And continued the search for the rattler she almost picked up yesterday evening in the shop ..

Too dang hot out right not , she's napping in her easy chair , Molly and Ally are stretched out on the sectional sofa , a dogs life , they got it made ..

OOPPPSS neighbor is shooting his guns , Molly is now hiding under my feets

petroid
05-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Found out the washer was leaking. It had been leaking and water ran underneath the laminate floor, ruining it. Pulled the washer out. Pulled the floor up. Fixed the washer. Only took three trips to appliance parts store to get all the right parts. Now the washed is not leaking but it is sitting in a catch basin if it does. And it's on bare concrete since I had to pull the floor up. But I'm going fishing and shooting tomorrow, so it's all good.

woodsxdragon
05-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Shelves. measured the cabinets in the pantry. Went to a couple stores, cause I was feeling lazy and don't have much wood laying around, and tried to find something easy. Ended with some plastic ones. seem to fit well and help with the clutter.
eventually I suppose i should mow the back 40 but i'm feeling really lazy

ph4570
05-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Got bit by something in the green house yesterday eve whilst napping. Nailed me between the second and third toe. A black widow is suspected as that is about the only creature of a venomous nature the has been frequently seen and dispatched in the greenhouse. Pain was horrific last night, bad today but tolerable. Whole foot is red and swellen.

Goatwhiskers
05-24-2014, 05:47 PM
And you didn't go to the Dr. why?

ph4570
05-24-2014, 05:58 PM
And you didn't go to the Dr. why?

I have been bit by the critters in the past, twice. Check pulse and BP to decide on treatment or not. My vitals were good. I knew what to expect -- nausea, headache etc. so I did not get freaked out. Not much for treatment anyhow. Darn rattlers have nailed me a few times when l worked for the forest service surveying for logging road construction. Guess I am fortunate to not be too affected by them or the widows.

opos
05-24-2014, 06:35 PM
I have been bit by the critters in the past, twice. Check pulse and BP to decide on treatment or not. My vitals were good. I knew what to expect -- nausea, headache etc. so I did not get freaked out. Not much for treatment anyhow. Darn rattlers have nailed me a few times when l worked for the forest service surveying for logging road construction. Guess I am fortunate to not be too affected by them or the widows.

My Son's Mother in Law is an older woman that plays golf several times a week and has been stung by bees a number of times...a couple of months ago she got into an area that had a swarm and got stung twice before she could leave the area..thought little of it for a while and then things turned bad...she swelled up..her tongue swelled and almost choked her..she got dizzy and went down...they got her to the E/R and it turns out she has developed a sensitivity to bee stings (you would think she might have developed an immunity) as a result of accumulated stings over the years...she now has to carry a hypo full of something and if stung again has to give herself a shot and get to the E/R..they said if not handled properly it could kill her...hope the spider bites don't cause you the same problems

petroid
05-24-2014, 06:46 PM
My Son's Mother in Law is an older woman that plays golf several times a week and has been stung by bees a number of times...a couple of months ago she got into an area that had a swarm and got stung twice before she could leave the area..thought little of it for a while and then things turned bad...she swelled up..her tongue swelled and almost choked her..she got dizzy and went down...they got her to the E/R and it turns out she has developed a sensitivity to bee stings (you would think she might have developed an immunity) as a result of accumulated stings over the years...she now has to carry a hypo full of something and if stung again has to give herself a shot and get to the E/R..they said if not handled properly it could kill her...hope the spider bites don't cause you the same problems

They gave her an Epi-Pen. It s a syringe with epinephrine (adrenaline). If she gets stung, it will keep her from going into anaphylactic shock which can kill her. She would still need to go to the ER right away. Same thing people with severe food allergies keep. She can see an allergist/immunologist and they may be able to give her a series of injections over several months to lower her allergic reaction so that she won't have to keep the Epi-Pen anymore.

Gator 45/70
05-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Produced a little over 4700 gallons of condensate and about 16 million of natural gas and sent it north today

petroid
05-24-2014, 06:49 PM

You should get the the ER! Spider bites can cause all kinds of severe infections even if the poison is not terribly dangerous. Even if you know exactly what kind of spider bit you, if the wound looks as you describe, there is a high likelihood there is an infection and its not just due to the poison Please, go to the ER!

frkelly74
05-24-2014, 07:34 PM
We loaded the heavy stuff in the pod today. And I picked up a new 93 turk just in time to move it.

alrighty
05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
I hopefully sold a 1966 Thunderbird and helped get it loaded on a trailer headed to Indiana.I say hopefully sold because I wasn't told that I would not be getting paid today until after we got it loaded.Funny how it is always the friends and family that use I.O.U.'s.:groner:
At least the day ended on a better note.A couple of pistols I bought on GB came in today.:p

MaryB
05-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Garden is now about 90% planted after working on it the last 2 days. Will put in another 3 rows of sweet corn next week so it matures a little later. Replaced the blade on the radial arm saw and got a piece of red oak cut that I need to run in the laser tomorrow and get that order ready to ship. After all the doc appointments last week getting outside helped my mood.

dragon813gt
05-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Started out the day by going to the greenhouse and buying all new plants. A hail storm on Thursday decimated the garden. It took out every plant. I thought I did good by getting it all planted two weeks early. Guess not :rolleyes:

Then I went and got the mail and there was the little pink slip from the PO in the mailbox. Drove down and came home w/ this.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/E4A617A8-A9AE-4F5B-8A45-92E38F597E81-15325-00000AB7B0793631_zps6568658c.jpg
Spent the rest of the afternoon, well I did take the wife out to Five Guys for lunch, turning that stack of boxes into this.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/17E85211-EB90-485D-BCE4-01B51A655109-16208-00000AF9069C08BF_zps3d29d554.jpg

Tomorrow I have to build a storage box for it all. My footlocker on the main floor of the garage is full. I'm not looking forward to moving it into the attic of the garage. The main floor has a 12' ceiling so there are quite a few steps to climb. After that I guess it's time to strap the car seat into the truck because her due date is on Wednesday.

HollandNut
05-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Radial arm saw ? a brave soul indeed , they skeer the daylights outta me ..

Five Guys ?? everyone told us how great they are , so we went last weekend , 20 bux for two small burgers , two small fries and two small drinks , and wasn't that great

dragon813gt
05-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Five Guys ?? everyone told us how great they are , so we went last weekend , 20 bux for two small burgers , two small fries and two small drinks , and wasn't that great

They aren't cheap so I hope no one told you they were. You only need one order of fries for every two people. I don't know what to say about the burgers being small. They are anything but at the one I go to. But I usually get the bacon cheeseburger. Which is a double unlike the little which is a single burger. I've found that people get mad about the price and because of that they say it's not good. Right now I'm getting 50 points for every dollar spent there on my credit card so it's in my favor. The only other chain burger shop in my area that I think is better is Jake's Wayback Burger. They use potato rolls but it always takes forever to get your order. They have a six pattie burger if your a typical American, which I am not. I'm patiently waiting for In-N-Out to open up by me :)

HollandNut
05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
well it was small on the menu IIRC , and no we weren't told of the price , still wasn't too impressed with the burger , but the fries were good

live and learn

mikeym1a
05-24-2014, 11:03 PM
I've been to 5 Guys Burgers before. Got the 'small' burger. Took up over half the plate. Fries were really good, and took up the rest of the plate. No, it wasn't cheap, but, it was more than I could eat, and a lot better than McD's, or BarferKing. The food was fresh, tastey and juicy. mikey

trochilids
05-24-2014, 11:16 PM
But,,,,
While I was at the store, I scooped up a brand new American flag for the front of the house, and helped an elderly lady load her mulch into her big old Caddy.

:drinks:

winchester85
05-24-2014, 11:23 PM
well, i think i ruined a barrel today.

went out to shoot some ground squirrels, had a freshly loaded 259 rounds. first round no problems, second round won't chamber. some range brass had gotten mixed in with the stuff fired in my gun so when i neck sized, some of the cases are bound not to chamber. problem is that i could not get the round out, the extractor pulled off of the rim. so i went home and got out my cleaning rod, after some light pressure, i started tapping on it and promptly bent the rod. i cut the rod off just long enough to still reach the round, after a few taps with a hammer i got the round out. BUT, i could clearly see that i buggered the crown. so, i figured i might as well take it apart and thread it while i had it in the lathe.

i am a rookie when it comes to lathe work on guns, i know how to thread and have done several with no issue. but, i have never recrowned a barrel. maybe i did it right, i am not sure. i turned the barrel down to the diameter of the threads, then with the live center in the barrel, i set up the steady rest on the turned down section, then removed the live center and with the compound set at 11 degrees, i started in the bore and fed the compound out. the first pass was only a couple of thousandths and it did not clean up evenly, the second pass was also only a couple thou, and the crown was now clean. i then proceeded to thread it.
after putting the rifle back together i ran a patch through the bore and proceeded to fire a round. it did not hit the paper, i looked through the bore and saw that my scope was off, so i bore sighted it. i fired round number 2 and there was a little bit heavier bolt lift than i am used to, and an ejector smear. but the round was in the paper just right of center. i fired round 3 and i was glad to have my glasses on, particles in the face. i opened the bolt to find a blown primer and an ejector smear. round 1 had no indications of any issues.

so at this point i am convinced that i have damaged the bore somewhere, most likely just in front of the chamber. so i decide that i will do a chamber cast. i get set up and pour the cerrosafe down an aluminum tube into the chamber. after about 20 minutes i go try to remove the cast, and it will not budge. i get out the broken bent cleaning road and tap on it with a hammer, still wont budge. so i heat the barrel up and get most of the cerrosafe out. but without a proper cleaning rod i cannot get the chamber clean.

i guess now i need to get another rod that is a little stiffer than the one for the 17, clean the barrel real good, and then find someone with a bore scope. or maybe just quit screwing around and send it off for a new barrel.

it is a 700 heavy varmint 22-250, probably has about 2 to 3k rounds through it by now.

winchester85
05-24-2014, 11:28 PM
after all that i just wanted to relax and watch some tv, and remembered that last night my satellite tv quit working. after 1/2 hour on the phone with them, my case got elevated to some special level where someone who REALLY knows how to fix it will call me, but not tonight it is too late!

WILCO
05-24-2014, 11:31 PM
I did a bunch of housework, mowed the lawn, chased a stray cat from the yard, drank a good amount of Black Velvet Cinnamon Rush, made some peach iced tea, decided not to cook, but ordered an assorted sub, spent some time here, took a nap and went for ice cream. Yep. It was a good start to the weekend.

MaryB
05-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Plenty safe as long as you keep your fingers out of the blade path... and can't be beat when I need to cross cut hardwoods. Can cut up to 12 inches wide so it has come in handy for making blanks for the laser engraver. Have to get some hard maple next month to engrave some pet pics for a couple people. Start with 1x10 and cross cut it to 8 inches long. End with this...

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/42e18f97-bdb3-4dc1-89f7-1b6891002b87_zps5eea6e3b.jpg

Radial arm saw ? a brave soul indeed , they skeer the daylights outta me ..

fastfire
05-25-2014, 03:02 AM
105966Friday coming back from perch fishing a crotch rocket bike passed us one mile before he crashed. He was going way to fast for the corner. I missed seeing it happen by 10 seconds (bushes blocking the view).

I was the second to arrive at the crash. The guy was in full leathers and helmet but as fast as he was going…………not good.

He was making some noises but it didn’t look very good for him. Haven’t herd on the news if he made it or not. I left to call 911 about 2 minutes after it happened (banks was 1.5 miles away) It was holiday traffic and almost backed up to banks by the time I had made the call. Was almost to Horseshue bend before the first police were seen coming with lights on. By the time I left to call 911 there was about 20 people there.

The area is in a canyon along the Payette river and a perdy windy road. He was going 60+ when he crashed.
I made the comment to Dad that we’re going to see him stuck in the front of a truck when he passed us. We had just entered into a passing lane, a red Dodge truck first passed us and before the truck could get over the bike passed him across double yellow lines. 2 corners and one mile later there he was lying there in the rocks. The bike was really messed up. He crashed into watermelon sized broken rocks against a rock wall.
Luckily, he didn't hurt anyone else..

farmallcrew
05-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Worked 8 hours yesterday, then had a Decade Party at work for being in business for 10 years. The neighbor from Maryland is up this weekend at his cabin. I bet right now he is making bacon and eggs over fire, then little later on they will be on the quads then shooting. So i guess its time for me to get some ammo around and get ready to hop on the quad and head over.

Love to live in Merica!

rockrat
05-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Freddys burgers beats 5 Guys anyday.

Just got back from long, but productive business trip, going to recover today. Might cast with the new NOE 311332 mould:)

Took flowers by cemetary for Grandparents, Moms, little sister and little brothers' graves. Went down memory lane for a bit, remembering them. Kind of rainy today. Will head to shop.

RED333
05-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Saturday
Pulled the blower motor from our 200 Kia, started to open the, get the pump and filter, started to fill.
Sunday
Put a new blower in the car, fixed.
Pump, hoses, filter and filled with water.
Dadburn prefilter for the pump is leaking, a bit of RTV and that leak is gone.
Chicken chores done, race is on. F1 this morning, Indy now, NASCAR later.
GONA BE A GOOD DAY!

mikeym1a
05-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Plenty safe as long as you keep your fingers out of the blade path... and can't be beat when I need to cross cut hardwoods. Can cut up to 12 inches wide so it has come in handy for making blanks for the laser engraver. Have to get some hard maple next month to engrave some pet pics for a couple people. Start with 1x10 and cross cut it to 8 inches long. End with this...

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/42e18f97-bdb3-4dc1-89f7-1b6891002b87_zps5eea6e3b.jpg

Now, that is neat!

rr2241tx
05-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Wife and I took another couple to the ranch for a weekend of ATV exploring and pontoon boat riding to celebrate my friend's wife getting doctor's approval to walk without the air cast on her foot. Drove into rain on the way and it rained pretty much the whole weekend and half the day Monday. Did manage some ATV exploration on and off the ranch roads but it never let up enough to launch the boat. Mid-day Saturday a large western diamondback crossed the road in front of us. Just how much we resembled a team of monkeys with a football while getting him back out in the open will only ever be known to the friend's wife who was the only one with the good sense to stay on the ATV. Headless, he was about 4 feet and was sporting 16 rattles, the end one being about 3/4 inch across. The rattles will probably end up on a hatband and the hide will be used on a belt. We moved the grill up on a covered porch and did a lot of rain watching. Beautiful lightening after dark each evening. Not exactly as planned, but we were all grateful for the much needed rain.