PDA

View Full Version : Got some of my swaged boolits patched :-)

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 05:30 AM
http://www.fototime.com/826B799366DFB7B/standard.jpg

No, the boolit in the case isn't at it's correct seating depth :-) The Uberti Hi-Wall doesn't have a throat that long! I just stuck it in like that 'cause it looks kewl. Also, those 321 gr slugs probably wont' stabilize in the Uberti's 18" twist. I had only swaged up maybe 10 of'em so I thought I'd go ahead and patch'em up and give them a try anyway.

Those at 296grs should be just fine as the 18" twist will handle 300 grs. These ended up at .381". I've used up all my 9lb paper which was .0022" and would have given me a .382" slug. I had picked up some light vellum hoping it would replace the airmail paper. When I miked it it was .0027". That's too much as the measurement over the dried patch was a bit more then .384".

Luckily enough one day I was schlumping along after the wife as she cruised every freaking aisle at a craft store. The had an art dept and I perked up checking out some of the paper. I had tried Strathmore brand tracing paper before and while it was nice looking stuff, it would fall apart when wet. This place had some Academie brand, by Mead IIRC. I got it out and it miked .0017". A bit smaller then I wanted, however when wet it held together and would actually stretch.

So those swaged boolits in the photo are patched with that, and losing the half thou per wrap resulted in a .381" vs a .382" patched boolit. The groove is .3794" so this should still work well.

...................Buckshot

no34570
01-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Your right on one thing Buckshot,they are kewl:-D

Wish I could swage my own,costs too much?[smilie=1:
cheers mate
no34570:castmine:

wonderwolf
01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Whats the cartridge?

and you say 9lb paper gave you .0022? I have it in my notes that 11.5lb paper is the same thickness...might not be the same kind of paper perhaps...I've been running around in circles about this paper thing :Fire:

Buckshot
01-18-2008, 03:43 AM
Whats the cartridge?

and you say 9lb paper gave you .0022? I have it in my notes that 11.5lb paper is the same thickness...might not be the same kind of paper perhaps...I've been running around in circles about this paper thing :Fire:

..............It's a 38-55. This Eaton 9lb airmail mikes .0022. I had some Strathmore 9lb cockle finish that miked .0020". I also got some medium typing paper at the grocery store as I'd not seen it before and it's a flat .003". Seems good old airmail paper is fast disappearing from the scene.

If you could find some carbon paper the duplicate sheets miked about .002" IIRC. But that's like trying to find buggy whips.

...................Buckshot

Buckshot
01-27-2008, 05:08 AM
.................I shot the patched slugs last Wednesday. That attempt was less then steller, but it was fun in any respect.

To back up a bit, accuracy with this rifle (Uberti Hi-Wall) has been, so far a bit less then spectacular. It may be forend issues. I haven't checked yet. However it has a couple rough spots in the barrel. Rough as in patches will drag and it feels 'snaggy', if I can make up a word :-). There is nothing to be seen looking down the barrel from either end.

I have ordered a bore lapping kit from Midway, along with 100 of the cheapest .375" bullets I could find listed. However after firing the 20 patched slugs I had loaded, if anything the 2 places seemed to be less grabby. All 20 rounds flew through their targets point on, and there was no leading. Add to that, there NEVER has been any leading in the some 200 rounds I'd put through it previously.

With that aside, the patches dispersed at the muzzle in tiny pieces as they should have. I didn't have a blow tube (do now) at the time and the 20 rounds were shot thus:

5 rounds, 50 yards no cleaning. The group was maybe 1.5" wide but 8" tall with the shots climbing for each sucseeding shot.

5 rounds, 50 yards and the barrel cleaned before each shot. This produce 4 rounds in about 1.5 - 2" with one off about 2" to the left.

5 Rounds, 100 yards no cleaning. THe shot dispersion was very similar to the 50 yard group fired dirty. I'd have thought it would have been zinging past the target board without even hitting.

5 rounds, 100 yards with the barrel cleaned before each shot. The 1st shot was in the X. The other 4 rounds landed in the upper left corner of the target paper. They were strung horizontally maybe 4" but only about 1" differance in elevation.

I thought the powder fouling would have been worse, but the barrel essentially cleaned with one patch damp with Birchwood Casey's #7 BP solvent after each shot. Of singular appearance to me wast the first patch pushed through the barrel. Upon exiting the muzzle the very end of the patch had a multitude of hair or filament type objects standing up. They had obviously lain parallel to the axis. Don't know what they are except I thought possibly slivers of paper. However they seemed a bit too stiff for that.

I don't plan on shooting it again until I've fire lapped the barrel and fired those 100 jacketed slugs downrange.

....................Buckshot