PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

05-23-2014, 08:34 PM
I have been casting for a while now for my milsurp rifles with great results. There are two concerns I have. I use Lyman M Dies for case mouth expansion, and while I adjust the die for maximum mouth belling I will frequently get a small amount of lead shaved from my bullets when seating. My bullets are sized slightly "oversize", but nothing outrageous-(example .314 for .303 and 7.62x54R). I would also like to remove the slight bell from the case after seating the bullet without crimping the mouth. I have never had chambering problems without removing the expansion but was wondering what others do to accomplish this. THANKS!

chsparkman
05-23-2014, 08:41 PM
I use a crimp die in a separate operation to remove the bell. For my single shots, that's all I do, so I adjust the crimp die just a little bit at a time until it looks right and chambers correctly. For 30-30 and 35 Rem lever actions, I crimp more aggressively, similar to revolver cartridges.

I can't think why you're shaving lead, unless you are seating and removing the bell in one motion?

243winxb
05-23-2014, 08:43 PM
remove the slight bell from the case after seating the bullet without crimping the mouth. A Redding 303 neck sizing type S bushing die would remove it. But i see no reason to do so?? But i am no expert.

Calamity Jake
05-23-2014, 09:32 PM
I have been casting for a while now for my milsurp rifles with great results. There are two concerns I have. I use Lyman M Dies for case mouth expansion, and while I adjust the die for maximum mouth belling I will frequently get a small amount of lead shaved from my bullets when seating. My bullets are sized slightly "oversize", but nothing outrageous-(example .314 for .303 and 7.62x54R). I would also like to remove the slight bell from the case after seating the bullet without crimping the mouth. I have never had chambering problems without removing the expansion but was wondering what others do to accomplish this. THANKS!

Chamfer the inside of the case mouth with a 60° inclusive angle countersink then back out the "M" die so that you do not
put a bell on the case mouth. Keep the slight expansion, that's needed.
The chamfer will take care of the shaving and no belling of the case mouth takes care of the crimp.

44man
05-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Some seat dies are a close fit to the case so it can close the flare as it enters.