PDA

View Full Version : Some days you realize you are surrounded...

Pb2au
05-23-2014, 01:14 PM
By idiots.
When compelled by force, I have to show up in my office to work. Most of my time I am on the road working at customer sites.
Upon returning this week, I realized that my desk, and those of my co-workers, the kitchen area, and in general most of the office is over run with mice.
They trashed some documents, shredded a service manual and in general jacked up my work area. The only thing the little buggers couldn't destroy was my hand tools.
The reason for this is that most of the people i work with 1) eat at their desk. 2) store food, snacks, MRE's and who knows what other groceries in their desks, as does most of the others in the building.
So I go to the person in charge and inform her of the situation.
The response I got was a question;
"Well, why do we have mice?"
"Because there is food everywhere......." says I.......
"Would that attract mice?" she replies

I just walked away....I couldn't trust myself to say anything else.

And this is why I prefer to be away from the office.

DeanWinchester
05-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Would food attract mice? Wow.

That about as good as the customers I have drive up to the shop and ask if we sell tires. "Uhh, no, I just like stacking them up everywhere!"

Some people are ONLY alive because God says it's wrong to kill them.

blademasterii
05-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Take maus, is gift. :D

RoyEllis
05-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Ya beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!

PbHurler
05-23-2014, 02:12 PM
I was talking to a coworker just the other day about the stupid that surrounds us every day.
On the roads, in stores, on the phone, this department, that department, in the Congress etc.

I've thought about having a tastefully embroidered cursive "SbS" placed on the left upper breast of a nice collared, knit business type shirt.

"SBS, who's that?, a company you've worked for?"

No, it simply means Surrounded by Stupid [smilie=b:

lavenatti
05-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Put a bunch of mint (the plant) in all your desk drawers. It'll keep the mice out of your desk.
Put a pile of corn under the desk of the "person in charge".

monadnock#5
05-23-2014, 03:21 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/

Can your boss spell Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome?

Charley
05-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Hantavirus isn't anything to mess around with. Arguments still ongoing if the house mouse is a vector. Until you get a positive species ID, I'd have some pretty grave concerns. Even the house mouse plays a role in the spread of many other bacterial and viral diseases. From the areas involved, sounds more like rats than mice, though. Management needs to get off their rear ends and take some positive steps to deal with the issue. Find entry points, seal them, then begin a trapping program. Depending on the structure involved, shouldn't be that difficult, or expensive. Cheaper than a lawsuit regarding employee health problems, caused by work environment.

s mac
05-23-2014, 03:35 PM
The other day one of my "coworker" was describing a conversation she was having with a customer of Japanese decent. Her words," she don't talk English too good". Yeah you can't make this stuff up.

Beagle333
05-23-2014, 03:38 PM
You need an office cat...... and maybe some new co-workers. ;)

Smoke4320
05-23-2014, 03:42 PM

a Gift that keeps on giving ... 1 litter at a time

9w1911
05-23-2014, 03:47 PM
no everyone knows mice gather around infectious personalities,

Freightman
05-23-2014, 03:53 PM
We just had a death a little north of me from the Huantavirus carried by ------ you guessed it mice.

Springfield
05-23-2014, 04:06 PM
I have 5 cats, so I think we're good around my house.

garym1a2
05-23-2014, 04:18 PM
i find my cats useless on Mice and rats. Now a good rat terrior loves the taste of fresh mice.

Snakes are the best to clear out mice and rats.

pretzelxx
05-23-2014, 04:48 PM
No, stupidity attracts mice. Get a snake!

Pb2au
05-23-2014, 05:49 PM
I know my post comes off a bit harsh, and to be fair I do work with some very bright, creative people that do well in the game of life.
But there are a few that I work with that at times astonish me with comments like that.

I talked to the person again later. She is our human resources/office manager. I told her that this is no joking manner and is a genuine health issue. So the latest solution is a glue trap was put in my office..............

nicholst55
05-23-2014, 06:41 PM
I know my post comes off a bit harsh, and to be fair I do work with some very bright, creative people that do well in the game of life.
But there are a few that I work with that at times astonish me with comments like that.

I talked to the person again later. She is our human resources/office manager. I told her that this is no joking manner and is a genuine health issue. So the latest solution is a glue trap was put in my office..............

Make an anonymous call to the local Health Department and/or OSHA.

375RUGER
05-23-2014, 07:42 PM
bull snakes

DHurtig
05-23-2014, 08:27 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/1148737_10152162363252792_55074042_n_zpsfa94d407.j pg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/c_latrans/media/1148737_10152162363252792_55074042_n_zpsfa94d407.j pg.html)

crazy mark
05-23-2014, 09:38 PM
My male doxie loves the taste of mice. He will clear the bottom of the pantry to get one if it does get into the house.

dragon813gt
05-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Is someday everyday? This is going to sound harsh. But I'm amazed that so many people are able to navigate life and maintain a decent standard of living. It's one thing to not be intelligent. It's entirely something else to not have common sense. The people w/ no common sense are the ones that drive me nuts.

MaryB
05-23-2014, 11:11 PM
When you get a mouse stuck on that glue trap take it in her office while it is screaming and drop it on her desk...

"you can't fix stupid"

Frank46
05-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Our workout building was infested with mice. Shredded blueprints, records and just about anything mice can eat. Had an exterminator in just about every day replacing traps, and putting out poison. We stopped counting when he reached a hundred. Wintertime was even worse. You could see their tracks through the snow. They'd tunnel into the insulation on both the semi buried oil lines and some of the above ground also. Since the oil lines were steam traced to keep them hot they had central heating. Left little piles of poison wherever we saw tracks. Frank

Gelandangan
05-24-2014, 03:14 AM
My office is also surrounded by mice.
They are attached to the computers, well there are a few that are unattached unless the batteries dead..

smokeywolf
05-24-2014, 03:53 AM
You say she's the person in charge...

Fits the old saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can neither do nor teach are promoted to management."

smokeywolf

cavemike
05-24-2014, 06:37 PM
No wiser words have ever been spoken.

Mike

Three44s
05-24-2014, 06:49 PM
bull snakes

Absolutely!!

My suggestion as well.

The less bright in the office will run right out of there ........ they are not poisonous but they sure are tenaceous!

They will HISS and carry on like they are going to eat you alive!!!

Three 44s

Pb2au
05-24-2014, 07:46 PM
When you get a mouse stuck on that glue trap take it in her office while it is screaming and drop it on her desk...

"you can't fix stupid"

I absolutely plan on doing this.
I hate glue traps. If you need to kill mice, fine. Use a proper trap. Don't make the things suffer.

dtknowles
05-24-2014, 09:46 PM
I absolutely plan on doing this.
I hate glue traps. If you need to kill mice, fine. Use a proper trap. Don't make the things suffer.

Oh, so many years ago when I was young. I was dating this girl who must have been having a mouse problem in here apartment. She called me late one night or early morning because she had caught a mouse on a glue trap and either did not know what to do or just so freaked out. I came over and did the deed, folded the trap and stepped on it, out of her sight, typical, liberal, no common sense, California, .......... I too hate glue traps. Got more stories about that chick but maybe some other time.

Tim

Charley
05-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Glue boards=bad! Much nicer to let them hemorrhage to death with anticoagulant baits. Not sure I see the point. Both methods aren't good ways to die.

MaryB
05-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Snap traps that break their neck, or the new electric ones that zap them to death

dtknowles
05-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I use snap traps.

Tim

MaryB
05-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Snap traps that break their neck, or the new electric ones that zap them to death

jaystuw
05-25-2014, 02:40 AM
I recently befriended a paper thin, tall legged feral cat that would occasionally pass through my yard. We get along fairly well, so now its around all the time.

We feed it enough of those cereal like cat food pellets that it doesn't bother the birds, but any cricket, grasshopper or rodent gets eaten up in short order.No more mice or anything.

I don't know if the cat wants to be a pet, perhaps it likes being wild. however,there are powerful incentives that may change its mind. I offer food, security and shelter! We will see how long it wants to stay untamed. Jay

Pb2au
05-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Snap traps are the preferred mouse dispatching device in the garage. A little peanut butter works the trick for bait.
In the house I have my cat Jez. She is a cold blooded mouse murderer. We always end up with one mouse in our mudroom every fall/winter. So I put her in there and she takes care of business.

bob208
05-25-2014, 11:10 AM
i bet she is a blond. time for some black snakes.

montana_charlie
05-25-2014, 12:09 PM
We will see how long it wants to stay untamed.
Regardless of his/her decision to act tame or aloof, you will always be 'staff'.

garym1a2
05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Texas bred Rat Killer, now a Florida Mouse hunter.

Pb2au
05-25-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm liking the black snake plan. We have lots of them.

jaystuw
05-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Montana Charlie, You are absolutely right. I wait on her hand and foot. Feed and water her when ever she wants. Give her plenty of attention. The little cat already calls the shots! I should know better but I just go along with it.

I really don't understand it though. People are the dominate life form on the planet and yet a small, rodent eating, bug catching, solitary predator has a great deal of power and control over millions of us in every country. How could this happen? So many other small predator type animals are seldom seen and close to extinction and yet cats enjoy an ever higher position in society.

In the rural areas you might still be able to shoot a marauding cat. In the city it is woe to anyone that tries to bother one. My wife called from Honolulu recently to say someone is killing the stray cats on oahu. She found out about it on the evening news on tv! It was on for several nights. It stirred up the local people my wife talked to and they are now angry. I fully believe the natives will attack the culprit if they catch him. In Honolulu no one really cares if your car or bike is stolen but they sure care about the stray cat grandma or auntie feeds! Jay

ShooterAZ
05-25-2014, 02:51 PM
I use this trap, when I have a rodent problem. Works great! http://www.nooski.com/products/mouse-trap/#

montana_charlie
05-25-2014, 03:16 PM
I use this trap, when I have a rodent problem. Works great! http://www.nooski.com/products/mouse-trap/#
That looks like a winner, except for one thing.
I was checking to see it's size when I realized it won't work for us.

We don't have any metric mice ... like the ones in New Zealand.

dtknowles
05-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Montana Charlie, You are absolutely right. I wait on her hand and foot. Feed and water her when ever she wants. Give her plenty of attention. The little cat already calls the shots! I should know better but I just go along with it.

I really don't understand it though. People are the dominate life form on the planet and yet a small, rodent eating, bug catching, solitary predator has a great deal of power and control over millions of us in every country. How could this happen? So many other small predator type animals are seldom seen and close to extinction and yet cats enjoy an ever higher position in society.

In the rural areas you might still be able to shoot a marauding cat. In the city it is woe to anyone that tries to bother one. My wife called from Honolulu recently to say someone is killing the stray cats on oahu. She found out about it on the evening news on tv! It was on for several nights. It stirred up the local people my wife talked to and they are now angry. I fully believe the natives will attack the culprit if they catch him. In Honolulu no one really cares if your car or bike is stolen but they sure care about the stray cat grandma or auntie feeds! Jay

If you believe that your area has a stray cat problem there are a couple way to properly deal with it. Live traps and dropping the at the pound or calling animal control to come pick them up works here. It works even if they have a tag or even better if they have a tag because the owner can then come and pay the fine and pick them up from animal control. I have a neighbor who live traps local cats and then pays to have them spayed or neutered and releases them.

Tim

DCM
05-25-2014, 05:35 PM
That looks like a winner, except for one thing.
I was checking to see it's size when I realized it won't work for us.

We don't have any metric mice ... like the ones in New Zealand.

Do the mice there wear purple too or should one use purple rubber bands with the trap?

montana_charlie
05-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Do the mice there wear purple too or should one use purple rubber bands with the trap?Purple?
New Zealand mice wear purple?
That must look rather strange ...

DCM
05-25-2014, 11:36 PM
I heard it is only when they are hunting, but I got that from the internet so...

ghh3rd
05-25-2014, 11:54 PM
We had a small mouse problem once at my work. They put trays of sticky yellow glue under a few of our desks after we left one evening. All of us were easy going about things, except for one guy... he always wore a suit, although none of us needed to, tried to act superior, and often mentioned how expensive his shoes were.

When we arrived that morning we noticed the traps, and were delighted to see that Mr. Fancy Pants had a tray under his desk.... and it had a mouse hanging out of it with its face sunk in the glue. He was besides himself when he arrived a few minutes later, and tried to kick the trap from under his desk and got his shoe stuck to it. Funny as he** as he shook his foot while trying to dislodge the trap, with the mouse flopping around -- and especially funny when he tried pulling it off by hand when I lied and told him that the glue ate through leather.

Charley
05-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Based on the descriptions, many of you are dealing with some species of rat, not mice. Very different animals, very different habits. Like hunting elk using techniques for whitetail.

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 01:12 PM
+1 on feral cats for residential rodent control. The mother of my present pest control contractor adopted me awhile back and when he's not off chasing females he's a pretty good hunter. Kinda miss my rabbits, tho.

MaryB
05-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Live trapped my big rodent today wood chuck that was digging under everything. Relocated him 1 mile out of town to an abandoned farm site

deep creek
05-26-2014, 11:04 PM
When dealing with a large population of mice/rats i use bait boxes with bloc baits that have blood thinner in it four days after ingestion they become enimec and die.after you have control of the population you can go to snap traps or colony traps with imatation vanilla or almond on a cotton ball inside. Then i use copper stufit [woven copper] or hot foam to seal entry points.you cant start by using snap traps .they breed faster than you can catch them.you have to control the population before you can reduce it.

mnkyracer
05-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Not mouse related, but....

Mid 20's neighbor saw me planting corn in the garden. Came over and watched, then asked....wait for it....

Where do yes corn seed come from?

Garyshome
05-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Glue Trap? Allrightythen! Is she gonna clean up the mess?

Pb2au
05-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Mid 20's neighbor saw me planting corn in the garden. Came over and watched, then asked....wait for it....

oh boy...... that does not bode well for the future.

montana_charlie
05-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Ask him where marijuana seeds come from ...

dragon813gt
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Ask him where marijuana seeds come from ...

Doubt he knows that since you don't buy cannabis w/ seeds anymore ;)

JeffinNZ
05-27-2014, 08:47 PM
You need an office cat...... and maybe some new co-workers. ;)

I big one that will eat the messing people.

gew98
05-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Kinda lucky in that the bobcats seems to be excersizing population control over too many cats in my AO. Wish I oculd say the same for dogs...gotta shoot them myself. It does not help when the neighbors welfare daughter brings home dogs between knocking out babies and before you know it a pack of ferral and coydogs abound. Though it makes for good target practice !.

dakotashooter2
05-28-2014, 09:48 AM
"Would that attract mice?" she replies Here's your sign.......................

dilly
05-28-2014, 10:58 AM
You know I hate those sticky traps too but they really do work.

I usually keep my trusty old BB gun around for ending it.

Nothing gets them gone like D-con though.