PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Alox vs. Orange Magic & Super Moly

Foto Joe
05-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Since acquiring a Lyman 4500 I've been dutifully lubing my little heart away with Lyman Alox and I've had great success with all my boolits and guns. Over the past few months I've collected several sticks of Orange Magic as well as Super Moly which are just taking up space in my bench drawer. I'm thinking about the next time the sizer runs out dropping in a stick of one of these instead of the Alox and just letting it push through. I do have a heater and I do use it once in a while even with the Alox, it is Wyoming and even though spring has arrived in some parts of the country we're still on the waiting list.

The vast majority of my boolits leave the barrel subsonic so I don't really need fancy lube but I'm CHEAP and I'd like to use up the $20 or so of free lube I'm sitting on.

Any thoughts?

prs
05-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you and I have little to no use for the Moly high speed stuff. Orange magic is medium firm non allox stuff and may function almost as well as 50:50. I was disappointed in the last Lyman 50:50 allox I purchased. I think the bees wax was very low quality and mostly slum-gum from rendered brood combs instead of quality golden yellow wax.

prs

sigep1764
05-23-2014, 02:26 PM
I too acquired some Super Moly and am wondering how it works.

Foto Joe
05-23-2014, 07:47 PM
I guess my question is how will the Molly do with subsonic boolits?

243winxb
05-23-2014, 08:34 PM
When changing lube, start fresh with a clean barrel. I have no proof using cast, but the 22lr has proven that all lubes will not work well with each other. It may take as many as 15 rounds till accuracy returns to normal.

detox
05-24-2014, 01:01 AM
I liked the Lyman Super Moly when I was using it. I have since switched to the LBT Soft Blue lube, but see no accuracy difference. The dark Moly lube is a little dirtier looking after being fired though. Both soft lubes do a pretty good job at preventing leading. You will like the Lyman Moly lube better than strait alox or 50/50 mix.

Pb2au
05-25-2014, 07:28 AM
I've been using super moly now exclusively for all my boolits.
It performs very well in low and higher velocity applications.
It is dirtier, meaning it stains your fingers black.

Foto Joe
05-25-2014, 09:44 AM
I always wear nitrile gloves when sizing and loading so I'm not too worried about dirty fingers. I'm guessing it's not as sticky as the Alox 50/50.

44man
05-25-2014, 02:21 PM
None of them. Never got any to duplicate Felix or 357 maximums lubes or Glen's lubes.
The truth is you can move from one lube to another without cleaning or shooting a bunch of shots, I see immediate results.

sigep1764
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
I have been using the Lyman Alox NRA formula stick lube exclusively. When I store my sized/lubed bullets, they get a little sticky all over the cones. Then I load them and they get sticky on the cases as I store them til I head to the range. Hasn't ever affected the pistols, they always go bang. But the powder residue in the pistols is some gooey stuff. When I bought commercial cast boolits, they had a hard blue lube that never got gummy at all. My thought with this Super Moly is that it will hopefully clean this mess up as it is harder. Am I on the right track? This gooey residue never happened with factory ammunition or reloads using j-words. Its not affecting anything, I just would like to avoid the mess and cleaning of the pistols so much.

Foto Joe
05-25-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking that might be a nice side benefit too. I usually wipe down my finished cartridges with paint thinner before they get boxed. The NRA tends to get the feed ramps of 1911's dirtier than they need to be.

I loaded a stick of Moly into the sizer this morning when I was doing .358's but had to put stuff away after a couple of dozen so I don't have anything lubed with it yet.

sigep1764
05-25-2014, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Foto Joe;2794970]I'm thinking that might be a nice side benefit too. I usually wipe down my finished cartridges with paint thinner before they get boxed. The NRA tends to get the feed ramps of 1911's dirtier than they need to be.

I loaded a stick of Moly into the sizer this morning when I was doing .358's but had to put stuff away after a couple of dozen so I don't have anything lubed with it yet.[/QUOTE

Be sure to let us know what's up with that Moly.

44man
05-26-2014, 10:18 AM
I have been using the Lyman Alox NRA formula stick lube exclusively. When I store my sized/lubed bullets, they get a little sticky all over the cones. Then I load them and they get sticky on the cases as I store them til I head to the range. Hasn't ever affected the pistols, they always go bang. But the powder residue in the pistols is some gooey stuff. When I bought commercial cast boolits, they had a hard blue lube that never got gummy at all. My thought with this Super Moly is that it will hopefully clean this mess up as it is harder. Am I on the right track? This gooey residue never happened with factory ammunition or reloads using j-words. Its not affecting anything, I just would like to avoid the mess and cleaning of the pistols so much.
Not what you want, lube softens powder residue so it will shoot out. I have revolvers shot 3 years without cleaning that will clean your clock. I keep the cylinder pin and ratchet clean and lubed but to run a patch through the bore doesn't happen much. I will clean the cylinder now and then but not the bore.
A good cast load can be shot forever without cleaning the bore. but the rest of the gun gets dirty.