PDA

View Full Version : My Wife Apparently Knows Me Well

Foto Joe
05-23-2014, 10:39 AM
So this last January when my birthday rolled around my lovely wife hands me an envelope which obviously contains a card. When I opened the card what do I find but 6 one hundred dollar bills and 55 one dollar bills. She of course knows that I hoard pictures of Ben Franklin whenever possibly and will plead poverty long before I have to break one of those. I was a little confused by the contents of the card so I asked her exactly why she was giving me money for my birthday. Her response was that it had been almost a year since I'd purchased a new gun and she was pretty sure that I was experiencing anxiety over the fact. Since that day the hunt has been on for what might be added to my ever shrinking gun safe. Originally since I'm a 1911 fan I figured that I'd add a Commander sized Ruger 1911 but after fondling a couple I decided that they just didn't compare to my S&W's and shelved the idea. I've been intrigued by the Henry rifles for a while now and have come across a couple that had nice wood, others looked like you would expect modern gun wood to look. This particular one came off of GunBroker and "I" think has some pretty good looking wood.

When I handed my wife all the $100 bills in my wallet to cover the credit card purchase (this included a couple extra from selling my S&W 39-2 to oldest daughter) she tried to hand me back a couple. I told her that she probably didn't want to do that because I had no dies or molds for 30-30 and those two hundreds would more than likely get eaten on the credit card very soon for additional supplies. Now with the addition of a 311041GV, a Lee 4 die set and a Lyman M die as well as 56 scrounged 30-30 brass from a couple of yard sales I'm in business.

Last week I loaded up a couple of dozen rounds with the 311041GV's, and 18gr of 4198 and took the new girl out for a test drive to get the sights set. I can say that after firing 24 rounds through this thing I'm hooked. The Henry is extremely heavy due to the octagon barrel and felt recoil is just a solid "THUMP". I used a 25 yard paper target to try and get the sights set somewhere in the range of hitting POA and after getting the elevation "sort of" tuned in used the last half dozen to ring a 10" gong at 50 yards.

So far that 24 rounds is all I've managed to shoot but the rest are on the bench loaded and ready to get rid of sometime this weekend. Once I've got the brass fire formed I'll take the chronograph out and see where we're at compared to Lymans specs.

Hopefully this thing will help put a Muley or and Antelope or both in the freezer this fall.

R.M.
05-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Say, that is some nice looking wood. You're a lucky man.

Smoke4320
05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
sounds like you gat a keeper .. gun and wife :)

62chevy
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm Green! My Wife is generous but not that much as she would buy a gun for herself first. But she's a keeper going to the range with me and she can cook too.

Kansas Ed
05-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Am I the only one who questions the 55 one dollar bills? I understand the Franklin's, but why 55, and why in ones?

Ed

Love Life
05-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Dang. Usually I am the one handing over Ben Franklins to the wife!

osteodoc08
05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Am I the only one who questions the 55 one dollar bills? I understand the Franklin's, but why 55, and why in ones?

Ed

Maybe for a 55th birthday?

Foto Joe
05-23-2014, 07:45 PM
osteodoc08 hit the nail on the head. It's something that we used to do with the kids and now we do with the grandkids.

MaryB
05-23-2014, 11:37 PM
I want a lever gun someday, just not in the budget right at the moment. Nice find!

reloader28
05-24-2014, 12:27 PM
30-30 cast boolits are FUN.
I was thinking of shooting some off this weekend myself.

Dont forget to go see Taylor Hanes in the park today and take all your friends.

Foto Joe
05-24-2014, 02:47 PM
The weather was good this morning so I road the bike up to Billings and stopped at Cabelas. I scored three boxes of 30-30 brass with these funny looking jacketed bullets stuck in 'em. I didn't need the bullets but I figured I was paying $15 for the brass anyway so I'll shoot 'em empty and then put the correct boolits back in.

It was a good excuse for a putt, my wife should know better than to go to Arizona for a grandsons birthday and leave alone a hundred miles from Cabela's with a new bike in the garage.

jonp
05-24-2014, 06:43 PM
As long as I budget and pay the bills she never questions what I buy. She has taken to handing me boxes and saying "now what"?

Foto Joe
05-24-2014, 08:04 PM
The difference in my situation is that I stopped paying the bills almost two decades ago. She asked if I would mind if she just paid the bills, I handed her the checkbook and never looked back. Since I have developed a leisurely attitude towards employment I told her about five years ago to just tell me "it's time to go back to work" or "we're fine" and my stress level is almost zero. It helps that she was a corporate buyer for over twenty five years, that woman seldom pays retail for anything.