PDA

View Full Version : How about starting a thread of "What I'm doing" in the world of cast boolits ?

WILCO
05-22-2014, 12:01 PM
As suggested by JonB_in_Glencoe, I figured I'd start such a thread. :-P

What I'm doing in the world of cast boolits is strictly small scale, but I'm having fun!
I'm still working on loads for my VZ24 using the LEE C324-175-1R and Alliant 2400.
There's also some boolit lube ideas I've gathered supplies for.
I developed a faster and easier way to reclaim lead from the indoor range, which results in a cleaner base material for smelting.
When the opportunity arises, I like to get out and do some casting on the rainy days. This tends to aid in my casting efforts by producing a better boolit with great fill-out and sharp edges.
Some of the projects take me a while, but I'm not in a race and as said before, I'm having fun.

What are some of the things you're doing?

osteodoc08
05-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm still learning the fine art of alloying. I've recently been able to come across linotype and also some solder. I have a few hundred pounds of COWW smelted down and 2 buckets filled to the rim with unsmelted COWW that have been seperated. After that, my stock pile is gone. Looking for more. Until then I will be playing mix master and finding my right alloy mix.

I am also chasing consistency. Consistency in appearance, weight, etc in my handgun boolits. That's mostly what I cast for. 357,41,45acp/lc mostly. Some 9/10mm.

I am also chasing the "magic load" that my primary handguns like. My Smith 686 and blackhawk for 357 and my multiple 41's especially. I'd likely hunt with either my 6" Smith M57 or my Ruger BH Bisley with 5.5" in stainless I received a a graduation present from dad or my 4-5/8" blackhawk I first purchased as my very own first 41mag. I'm keeping records, but would like to keep better and more accurate records including atmospheric readings and accuracy reports.

I would also like to work on taking my first handgun deer this fall and winter. Gotta figure out the load and the boolit first.

Always looking for new sources of lead. My LGS is building an indoor range and the owner promises me the lead with the agreement that i'll smelt and resell in ingots and keep a certain % for me. Not sure how that'll all play out though.

Pb2au
05-22-2014, 12:33 PM
1) Currently testing the use of IMR 4064 in the 8x57 mauser. To further create more excitement, I am also testing two boolits for the same. The Lee C324-175-1R and Lyman 323470.
2) I am crashing my proverbial ship onto the rocks via the siren song of the 30-40 Krag rifle. I am placing an order with Bullshop tonight for some boolits to further the project.
In short, I am like a little kid with two cool toys to play with.

DeanWinchester
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Working with a wicked looking wasp waist style boolit mold for .30 caliber.
Trying 4198 powder for the first time.
FINALLY got away from pan lubing and got me a pair of lube sizers. An RCBS for rifle and a Lyman for pistol. Ohh lordy and I tickled about that!!!!!

Bullshop Junior
05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Testing copper grease and polymer powder for bullet lubes.

Refining my press less shotshell loading

Better ways to water proof paper patch

s mac
05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
I've only been casting for a short time, but I'm all in. I've had moderate success with 308 Win, 444 Marlin, and recently bought .223 Rem and 7mm to start work on. I think I'll never have to many moulds, but I'm collecting them as fast as my moderate income will allow.
I also enjoy spending alot of time on this site, reading, interacting with all you good folks. I been able to meet 2 different members in person, solid gold fellows.

Love Life
05-22-2014, 01:19 PM
I am currently having mucho fun with the 38 S&W!

I am working at my casting technique so that I can cast more uniform boolits, and hopefully one day I'll get to filing into a boolit and not find voids. I'm constantly amazed at that part.

I'm borrowing guns left and right to test out a theory on polygonal rifling.

I'm ordering the materials to make up some copper enriched alloy to play with that.

I'm killing paper and slaying Jack rabbits (I'll have to quit soon since I already have 4 inthe freezer and 5 is about my limit).

I'm working on testing slow rifle powders in a revolver.

I've got a bunch going on and hopefully I will learn something along the way!!

FISH4BUGS
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Casting bullets and reloading for sub machine gun calibers: 380, 9mm, 45acp. Got the whole thing down years ago and now cast and shoot a LOT more than I used to.
Starting to get the hang of the Star sizer too. Struggled for years but found out it was a factory defect.
Probably 2000 lbs of raw ww in the basement. 600 lbs of ingots in the casting shed. 200+ lbs of linotype. Should be set for a while.

zidave
05-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Currently having fun learning everything I can.
Still tinkering with alloys and what mix is good for what boolit.
I love casting my own boolit and using my own homemade lube and shooting a 1.5" group, puts a huge smile on my face.

Glad to be a member here.

Harter66
05-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Lets see ......
1908 7x57 287-150 fail 7mm-168 fail 284-130 not a complete fail Lube issues something about that 29'' bbl

1916 GEW 98 7mm MaxM (?) 27-130 pp fail 287-150 gg/pp fail seating fear of lack of load data fat chamber std bbl not enough leade.

11-43 RA 1903A3 301-618 has at last restored my faith in my ability to pour,wrap, measure ,seat breath,squeeze........

Now about finding a real ladle,modified ram for an RCBS partner press,some one w/a loading software dilly, mastering the 2 dia paper patch and getting back to the 7RWH.

bangerjim
05-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Just bought a 45ACP 1911 and now I need to start casting and loading for that cal also. :Fire::Fire:

Adding it to the existing list: 223, 30, 38SPL, 357MAG, 40S&W, 45LC. Oh yes.....and the dreaded horrible 9mm! [smilie=b:

Nose to the grindstone running my company....working hard on my 2nd million $$.......NOT.

.......HA....ha! :dung_hits_fan:

banger
............"The day you quit learning is the day they nail the lid on your coffin."

Love Life
05-22-2014, 03:42 PM
and getting back to the 7RWH.

I have been waiting to hear more on this!

jakec
05-22-2014, 03:53 PM
i just started casting around a year ago. i now have 8 molds and more little pieces of lead on everything i own than i thought possible. i like casting and coating about as much as loading. im working on getting a better smelting setup. im also learning what type molds i like the best (4 hole steel in the lead right now) and trying to get more consistant with casting. working on taking a deer or pig with a blackhawk this year as well.

Brett Ross
05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Working on lee C312-185-1R in a old Chinese SKS. Looking for 1700+ FPS with sub 3" groups at 100 Yds. My first attempt looks promising enough to continue, but I need to fix my chrony first, after an unfortunate shooting accident.

firefly1957
05-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Well i am still cleaning lead from my Savage Enfield barrel i did not test the last batch of powder coated bullets and fired a few at about 2000 fps when they started hitting the paper side ways it was to late the bore was leaded badly. This batch was Harbor freight yellow paint, red & white worked great and the same bullet sized smaller .309 shoots under 2 MOA from my Marlin 336 30-30 at 2040 f/s . Oh well live and learn the bullet was sized .312 in the 303 and shot well will Red coating at reduced velocity.

joesig
05-22-2014, 05:13 PM
NOE 22-055 in a 221 Fireball with H335.

Thinking about Rem Mod 7 in 308 or 358.

nagantguy
05-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Have three new molds to break in 2 sizers to beagle out. Working on my new home made one of a kind bottom pour pot. Thinking real hard about becoming a cast only hunter, hence the new molds I have to many favorite cals and guns.

jcameron996
05-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Well I have been at this for a couple of years now. Pretty much everything I know about casting has come from reading and asking questions on this site and trial and error, and trust me, there has been a lot of error. I have managed to amass a decent amount of molds and other casting gear, enough to make my wife shake her head, but then she doesn't mind shooting up all the ammo I have loaded so it is okay. She has also turned out to be a pretty good lead scrounger. Funny how a pretty blond girl has more luck at the tire shops than I do. I am still experimenting with the pistol bullets. Right now I am in the middle of testing powder coated 9mm. Initial tests have shown good accuracy and velocity with no leading. Much better results than I have gotten with tumble lubing. I have a good supply of smelted lead and a bunch left to go. Looking forward to the adventure. JC

shoot-n-lead
05-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, I am one of the old guys, just not one of the "oldtimers" around here as far as posting and participation in the fray. I lurked here for years prior to joining and I still lurk much more than I post...except in the last week.

I have been casting a few years on my own, but I have a near life long friend that is a master caster by any measure, so I am not exactly a newbie to casting, per se. I cast for 38,357,44mag, 44 special, 45acp, 45colt, 454 and use them in some rifle calibers as well. I have gotten to the point in my life that the only j-word bullets that I use are in my carry gun and that is simply because of potential for legal issues. I prefer cast because they perform the same every time...I know what to expect and I like that.

Most of my casting is for 357, 44 and 45 bullets that I use for different hunting situations. I have never spent much time with the 357 for various reasons, but recently I have been doing a lot of experimenting with different bullets and loads...man, it is a very interesting and diverse round that I have come to really appreciate...even though my heart is really with the bigbores.

My son and I shoot a lot of steel challenge matches and we cast all of our bullets for competing, both pistol and revolver.

At any rate, I regularly cast and reload primarily for handguns and I find that I am hopelessly addicted to the hobby as it is fun and I learn something new all of the time.

AlaskanGuy
05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Well, i just ordered a 311299 from Noe, and i am hoping that he can add a pin for one of the cavities to make it a HP... It is the only boolit that is 200gr plus that fits nice in my k31 swiss 7.5 x 55...

Plus, I scored 2 lbs of 4895, so I need to play with that some....

And today is the last full day of school, so we will be completing our making of black powder rocket fuel for our rocket launch tomorrow.... Sooooo busy days.... I think i will go fishing tomorrow for dollies.... Right after the launch....

AG

Pb Burner
05-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Good thread! Had one casting session this year...getting my technique down a bit better, still greenhorn caster. I "need" to get a mold to feed my 1911/45, about out of commercial boolits. Would love to get a lube sizer this year, but, the 45/45/10 is doing a good job.
I need to make some scrap into ingots, but days off and weather don't seem to agree.
But on a good note, my daughter and I made it to the range today! After decades of my prodding, she finally will go shooting with me, and likes to shoot handguns. But now I have to keep an eye on my m60 smith or it might come up missing. She has trouble sighting, but is doing much better.
Thanks for a refreshing idea/thread JonB and Wilco!

Trey45
05-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Just picked this one up today.
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10414518_705286859528789_5756243978669807929_n.jpg

Borrowed a mold from a buddy that I'll be casting with in a few days time just for 45ACP. New bullet for me, new load development. Going to be trying a different powder too. Never used Herco before and scored a few pounds at the local gunshop last month.

Love Life
05-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Might I recommend the NOE H&G 34 Clone for you 45 shooters? If you coat and want a smooth boolit then I would highly recommend the .453-230-RN from Hardline Industries.

Trey45
05-22-2014, 08:36 PM
I have been using the Lyman 452374, H&G 118 and H&G 68 molds for years. Is there much difference between the H&G 34 and the Lyman 452374 aside from 5gr weight? I love new (to me) molds and load development. I think I enjoy load development more than shooting sometimes. Once I find "the load" it seems the fun is done until the next project comes along.

TXGunNut
05-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Only been casting a few years but have a project list that will keep me busy (and broke) for several more years. Project 35 Whelen (Ol' Ugly) is going quite well, my 32-20 project is stalled while I contemplate bore options and I have a pretty cool boolit I need to check out in my 45 Colt SAA BP revolvers. Someday I'll get back to the Sharps that brought me to Cast Boolits awhile back. Been studying up on lubes here lately but if I don't quit doing "research" on the GB forum and NOE's site my mould shelf will get mighty crowded.

Love Life
05-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Probably not enough difference between the two to even matter. I'm just a sucker for a good round nose boolit.

garym1a2
05-22-2014, 09:23 PM
I progress an the stage of learning to cast and load 9mm and 300 blackout that does not lead up. I have already been able to make good 40s&W and 45acp cast boolits. I am also working with powder coat in the hopes of being able to make large qtys of 9/40 ammo. As a USPSA pistoel shooter I am hoping to move from "C" class to "B" class soon in production, I currently have a 59.72 average and only need to make 60.

After mastering the 300 blackout I hope to move upto a real 30 caliber rifle.

Bullshop Junior
05-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I wanna get a browning or winchester 1885 when money allows and shoot a couple of the long range matches like the quigley shoot with my dad.

MT Gianni
05-22-2014, 10:48 PM
I made this a sticky and deleted the off topic stuff. Lets keep this just for current projects.

Hogtamer
05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Working on Minies for a rifled shotgun...Already have a smootbore slug load I'm happy with @ 100 yds, the lee 7/8 oz slug i cast - got a satisfactory buckshot load too.
4y

WILCO
05-23-2014, 12:20 AM
I made this a sticky...........

Sweet!! Lots of great replies gents. Keep them coming. [smilie=w:

pretzelxx
05-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Working on finding the correct temps my moulds and pot run best at! Also breaking in the moulds and every other piece of loading or casting equipment I own!

Love Life
05-23-2014, 01:09 AM
Working on finding the correct temps my moulds and pot run best at! Also breaking in the moulds and every other piece of loading or casting equipment I own!

I've been seriously considering getting a PID and maybe getting a mould drilled by NOE for a temp probe. Are you using thermometer and a mould oven?

pretzelxx
05-23-2014, 01:34 AM
I too have considered it, but I'm pretty tight on cash at the moment. As soon as I get some saved up its always accounted for. And no, no thermometer, just till it melts and a touch more. I also have a hot plate for the moulds, I set them on and hope it's a good temp and adjust according to the boolits dropping.

Love Life
05-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Dang. Making it a sticky sho' nuff kilted it dead!!

RED333
05-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Well, casting for a 300 AAC and come h### or high water gona get it to run in an AR pistol.
129 gr boolit that has a sharp point, gona be my first shot at powder coating.
Pics after I get an oven.

woodsxdragon
05-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Lets see... tumbling brass (seems like it never ends), loading up some J-word 45-70, and hopefully loading my first cast boolits this weekend. 45lc in 3 guns (blackhawk, ranch hand, and judge). pretty excited.

HollandNut
05-24-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm scaled back tremendously since May 2007 ( house fire , lost all my firearms and reloading equipment and a fair bit of moulds ) ..

These days its playing with a handful of moulds with the Lott , some PP'ng , working up some duplex loads , tinkering with the 480 Ruger and a 400 gr Keith style that was a group buy here around 2007 or so ..

My brother gave my a 9mm Star after the fire , have bunch a ammo and have no desire to reload or cast for it , as I have no desire for a 9 , good snake gun and more easily concealable than the Ruger SRH , plink with it a bit ..

Friend gave me a 336 after the fire and I have dies for it , but no moulds , another project ..

Thing for me is finding time for the range .. Not safe around here any more in my woods ..

35 shooter
05-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Just started load work up with a new 358009 boolit from NOE for a 35 whelen. It's a 2 cavity mould with a pb and gc boolit in the same mould. Can't wait to work with the plain base and hit a good load with imr4350 already with the gc. Bit slow probably, but accurate. Awesome boolit.

Very sorry to hear about your loss HollandNut.

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Just a spectator today. :-( On "holidays" when I have to work I allow myself to hang out here to pass the time. Finally found some brass for my "new" rifle (thanks 45coltnut!) so should have everything together by this weekend. I'll polish some brass and size a few 360318's tonight to make me feel better about the wasted day.

jmsj
05-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Trying to finish up a Springfield Range Officer "Wadgun" build for a Bullseye shooter whose favorite bullet is the H&G 68's. Working on a rough S&W 45 cal Model 1950 that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Falling way behind on reloading chores.

obssd1958
05-27-2014, 09:19 AM
A couple weeks back, I cast a bunch of RCBS 37-250 FN and a hundred or so H&G #131's (.377 @270gr) for a .375 H&H.
Then cast 150 or so boolits from each of 2 NEI moulds for the 38-55. One dropped them at 245gr. and the other at 270gr.
Loaded up a representative sample of each of the boolits in each of the cartridges and headed for the cast boolit shoot in Winnemucca.
The .375 H&H loved everything I fed it, but alas, the 38-55 was not satisfied with it's fare... (12 inch patterns at 50 yards [smilie=b:)
I'll figure it out though! That's the fun part of manufacturing your own ammo for each individual firearm!!:2_high5:

Catshooter
05-28-2014, 02:09 AM
I picked up a nice Marlin 336 in the mighty 30-30. Long barrel, older gun. I want to use it in Lever Action Silhouette so I'm working up loads for it. Got the load for the chickens & pigs: Lyman 311008 over seven grains of Universal Clays works well. Now onto the turkeys & rams.

Nice thread.

Picked up a PID for my ten pound Lee and love it. Pot heats up faster and of course stays much more consistent.

Cat

firefly1957
05-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Sized some Keith 44 caliber bullets ,252 grains with gas check, and set them aside for loading later.

Pb2au
05-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh, I'm also wading into the world of casting buckshot. I decided that would be a hoot.

WILCO
07-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Bump to the top!

Harter66
07-18-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm ashamed to admit it but I've not done a cast thing except determining that a new RB mould is badly out of round... haven't even made contact to fix that.... since the 19th of May.
I did get called back to work after a 169day vaca.....lay off,get a repaired stock back on a Marlin M19 12ga found the origins of a partiular JCHiggins 12 ga so I can put an evil looking Tactical stock on it for my GFs fused wrist and very short length of pull. I aquired 200 Schofeild cases from a divorce sale for the 92' in Colts for plinker brass. Aquired a piece of steel suitable for making 1 of the RCs a swagging press for the ''new'' 40 yo Pacific 30 cal 105-125 gr hp dies, now to find someone to turn the threaded end and cut the slot for the ejector pin. A freind of X2 has a 5 gallon bucket of truck WW she's going to drop off so I'll have to ingot that when it cools down into the 90s again. That about covers May, June and July.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-18-2014, 10:03 AM
I am venturing into my first attempt into Heat treating. I have some 243 boolits that need to be sized (and GC installed?) then heated, then quenched, then Lubed.

I am thinking 425º for an hour, then quenching in refrigerated water. Something I can easily repeat. I plan on standing them up vertically in a tuna can. I wonder if there is a coating on the can I need to cook off first ?

Pb2au
07-18-2014, 10:17 AM
My buckshot experiment has gone off as a rousing success.
I have a working 12ga load now, which does a fine job destroying 2 liters of cheap soda. I plan on monkeying with buffer now with the shot to improve the pattern.
I also was able to size the shot down to .311", and load some up over some Unique in my wifes Marlin 30-30 and created a darn good gallery load!
Still plunking away with 4064 powder in my 8x57 mauser. Results are pending, I will post that in my thread elsewhere.
Should be testing some Bullshop cast 311274 200 grain boolits for my Krag soon.

Harter66
07-18-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't think there's any thing on those cans that will ''turn'' except the label glue at 400 degrees ,maybe oil in the seams..... I don't know about the water pack cans they may have some sort of poly coating......

Well that was no help. I guess you could drop it on your hot plate next session to see.

BruceB
07-18-2014, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Harter66;2860211]I'm ashamed to admit it but I've not done a cast thing.... since the 19th of May. (QUOTE)

Well now, I can't say I'm exactly "ashamed" of it, since there were very severe medical problems involved, but *I* haven't cast a bullet since approximately the end of January.... January, 2012, that is.

Yep, two-and-a-half years of no-casting, but that long dry spell should be ending within the next week, if plans pan out.

My new apartment doesn't lend itself to the activity. but my very good friend, NVCurmudgeon, will allow me to use his casting bench for my purposes. I have a list of needed bullet designs as long as my arm, so I can see several days' worth of intensive production if I ever get it started.

I did find a hundred or so sized-and-lubed 311359 bullets amidst the stuff my Cast Boolit friends moved here from my former home. Those bullets were sacrificed in a test-run in my M1 Carbine a day or so back. They worked fine, and it was a satisfying feeling to FINALLY shoot a few of my own rifle bullets again.

Let me say this: in those 2.5 years, THIS WEBSITE'S MEMBERS have done more to keep me sane and "grounded" than any other single factor in my life. A minimum of several hours of my time per day, I'm sure, have been averaged here on Cast Boolits.

I've been reading almost everything that's been posted during that long hiatus (with the notable exception of "The Pit", which I visit VERY rarely).

It's probably unnecessary to say this, but.... I am very grateful.

Love Life
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Finshing up notes on polygonal vs standard rifling, worked on my casting technique with rifle boolits to begin my testing in a 308 with a polygonal barrel, and started in on rifle powders in pistol cartridges...well until this dang move came and got in the way. I'll continue my testing when I get moved.

Pinsnscrews
07-19-2014, 03:38 AM
Still getting things together to start my first cast. I have everything but Lead/Alloy and Lube right now.
I have the Lee Bator mold for my .222 Contender pistol.
I still need to get molds for my .357 Herrett, .308 Winchester and .40S&W...
In the meantime, I keep reading, and asking questions, and reading, and asking questions...

JSnover
07-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Before The Big Move I was tweaking a BPCR load for my 45-70 RB. The boolit is a custom 500 gr. from Mountain Molds and needs to be seated so deep I could only get about 45 grains of Goex FFFg into the case. Unfortunately I never had a chance to shoot them. Based on what I've read about some other 19th century cartridges it is safe, I just wish I'd had a chance to pull the trigger before everything went into storage.
Has anyone experimented with a load like this?

JSnover
07-20-2014, 07:45 AM
I wonder if there is a coating on the can I need to cook off first ?

I built a conveyor in a tin can factory a few months ago and there was a coating of some sort on the cans, like a clear coat. Probably nothing to worry about but you could bake the tuna cans first - empty.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-20-2014, 08:10 AM
I built a conveyor in a tin can factory a few months ago and there was a coating of some sort on the cans, like a clear coat. Probably nothing to worry about but you could bake the tuna cans first - empty.

I did that yesterday...removed label:
Before the baking, the outside looked like a painted 'grey' and the inside looked silver/clear.
After baking (in my mold oven...electric hotplate with coffeecan cover), the outside cooked to a brown color and the inside remains silver/clear.
Thanks for the input.
Jon

troyboy
08-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Cast, checked and sized for the 44mag and the 7.65 1891 Arg. Reforming brass from 30-06 for the same. Making brass from 32S&W long into 7.65 Mas. Going to make Tok brass from 38spcl next

quilbilly
08-07-2014, 04:29 PM
I am finally giving up trying to feed my old Rem 600 -6mm cast boolits after seven powders and dozens of loads. Best group I could get was 3-1/2 inches at 100 yards with most groups being 5" or larger even with a scope. I may come back to it later to try 2400 powder which works so well in the 308 but not until I have an extra pound or two in hand. Until then I will be working with my 250-3000 which seems to like my 4198 loads and my old Lyman mold's spire points. With a peep sight yesterday I got a couple groups under 2".

DeanWinchester
08-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Working with a wicked looking wasp waist style boolit mold for .30 caliber.
Trying 4198 powder for the first time.
FINALLY got away from pan lubing and got me a pair of lube sizers. An RCBS for rifle and a Lyman for pistol. Ohh lordy and I tickled about that!!!!!

Now I am lamenting the loss of this mold. Not so much to myself but to the world. I made a deal with a member here who wanted to try it for himself. The ham fisted retards at the post office destroyed the box and lost one half of the mold. I hate those people.

Thank God for a patient and fine upstanding fella here on Castboolits.

bangerjim
08-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Just hauled home about 210# of Sn ingots.

bangerjim

TXGunNut
08-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Cast about 200 ea of RD 359-190 and 311-165 last night. Sized them this morning and the last batch is ready to come out of the oven now. Hope to have them checked & first coat of LLA drying this afternoon.

beezapilot
10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
A fine day in the circle of life.

Loaded up the pick-up with shop scrap- spent 209's, chains & sprockets, brake pads, blades, steel wheel weights, old nuts/bolts/screws, busted hinges.....and beer cans.

Off to the scrap yard to sell it.

Squandered it all on half cases of beer and a bottle of wine.

First half rack to my buddy the roofing contractor... and picked up lead. 2nd rack to one of the local tire stores... and picked up WW's. 3rd to another tire store... and picked up WW's. The bottle of wine to the lady down town who does those crazy storage unit auctions, yard sales and the like to run a Second Hand store... ad picked up all the pewter junk she can't sell (who wants someone elses engraving??).

Last half rack in the shop fridge, and enjoyed some while sorting WW's... 7 coffee cans of COW, 4 of SOW, 11 pewter things and I still have a buck and change left over...

There is about 3 inches of steel WW's in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket... 4 empty beer cans in another... and so the circle starts again.

Life is good.

Hogtamer
10-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Cast some .600 round balls yesterday morning from mix of COWW ingots and pure lead. Loaded some terrific 3" 12 ga. 2-ball Hogtamer specials this morning. They are specifically for my rifled 870 and puts both balls on target @ 50 yds with a 2"- 4" spread. Two 3/4 oz lead balls delivered accurately is simply an awesome load, and most of the credit for this accomplishment goes to many of the knowledgeable guys in the shotgun forum who have truly done some amazing work.

nemesisenforcer
10-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Giving back to friends and others: cast some round balls and such for black powder shooters (one of whom took a deer with one of mine and gave me some meat for my efforts.)

Refining my alloying skills to produce varying hardness mixes, playing with a new mold (Lee 310 gr. flat nose)

SSGOldfart
10-24-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm sandbagging a few thousand for each weapon I own lot more work then you'd think

WILCO
11-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Bump to the top!

dragon813gt
11-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I have a pile of molds I haven't cast w/ at all yet. So on Sunday I decided to fire up the pot and cast some samples so I can enter all the info into my spreadsheet. Ran out of time so I was only able to cast w/ a MP 311-440, MP 311-180 HP(just as much of a PITA as the 30 Sil but at least the bullets don't stick to the blocks, NOE 311-188 FN and an Accurate 36-210A. Still have a lot more to cast w/ to get caught up. Having a newborn has really eaten into my free time......imagine that ;)

Geppetto
11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Bought a flat band Win 94 in 32 Special, so I just bought the RCBS 32-170-RF mold and cast about 60 for work up. Half water dropped, half air cooled. Going to use Runs "simple lube" and see how it performs. Hoping to get a chance to load some up and test them for the upcoming whitetail season here in WI. I also received a Winchester 32-165 mold from a family member, so I will probably cast up some of those to put together a lighter load.

Two weeks ago I loaded up a box of Lee 458-405-RF for my wifes 1895SS.

Need to leement a 312-155-R double cavity and give them a try in my new 300 blk upper.

I also want to try doing some powder coatings...just need to wait for another harbor freight 25% off coupon to come in the email.

WILCO
11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
I uncovered some LEE C324-175-1R on the bench, in a forgotten corner.
Will have to apply some lube........

popper
11-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Fill a dozen 16 oz. peanut jars with boolits, proper alloy, size & PC. 1:10 BO upper is supposed to get here next week so got to figure that one out. Convert & neck turn a bunch of BO brass, remember to pick up more range 223 brass. Size & trim remaining 750 pcs of 308 brass I got from L.L. Convert components into various size holes when the weather & body cooperate. Break those 2 boxes of clays I have stored, make use of the 2 cases of 12 ga. in the garage. Work on the T.P. honey-do list (back burner). Remove the paint from all the brass door hinges in the house & re-install.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2014, 11:46 PM
It was a good day.
I started by mounting a Scope on a Pre64 Win 70, caliber is 30-06 and I loaded some NOE 310165 FN XCB. while cycling a few rounds in and out of the chamber and studying the witness marks on the boolit, I'm thinking it could very well be a good match...Hoping tomorrow will work for a range visit.

Then I brought the krag out of the safe, a tried loading a few dummy rounds from some .314 samples I got from Calamity Jake, sadly neither look promising. BUT, the boolits I cast from a recent NOE purchase 316299 mold, look much better, I found I will need to size them down to .314 (I lucked out, and a .313 die I got some time back actually sizes to .314) Anything larger, when seated, the brass (neck portion) wouldn't fit into the chamber. what is surprising is the gianormous nose of that boolit (.307) seems like the correct size, according to the faint witness marks the lands leave on it.

Plate plinker
12-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Loading ammo and lots of it!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Last fall, I bought 3 older lee GB molds (6 cav) from another member local to me. They got cleaned up and used in the last couple days.

The first was a clone of the Ohaus 45 cal 270gr SWC
My friend mentioned it'd be good for my 45acp revolver,
But it drops a pretty large boolit, This one cast kinda large, like .456
So, yeah, I may not use it for the 45acp, I have my 11mm french Gras rifle
that slugged out ridiculously over size at .455 So i cast some in a very soft alloy for that. I've had that Gras project on the back burner for years.

The second one of them is the H&G #68 Clone...it has never been heated up, never cast with. I dug up the archive
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26226-Closed-45x200-FB-68
after reading most of that, I hope to all heck, that my friend sent the first mold back and got one of the "fixed molds". After cleaning up the mold, and btw, there was still alum machinings still in the cavities(see photo), The mold functioned most awesomely, maybe the best Lee 6 cav I have cast with, boolits drop at .4525 and nearly perfect round and drop from the mold by just the threat of a tap :) 193 gr. I hope they cycle and shoot in my 45 autos.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/HampG68uncleaned_zps9f782296.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/HampG68uncleaned_zps9f782296.jpg.html)

The third was a 358429 clone, casting 175gr. A big Square lube groove. the dang mold won't drop the boolits for nuthin'. So I came up with a technique to deal with it, yesterday while the mold was still hot ...basically picking them out with a screwdriver, it really wasn't that bad. So I got a bunch of them cast, that way. I've got a couple other molds real similar to this, so this one may get sold in the future?

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/castingwithscrewdrivermethod_zps0db637b6.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/castingwithscrewdrivermethod_zps0db637b6.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/castingwithscrewdrivermethodcloseup_zps6b6d9d29.jp g (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/castingwithscrewdrivermethodcloseup_zps6b6d9d29.jp g.html)

dragon813gt
01-17-2015, 10:16 PM
I cast w/ almost all of the molds I've never used. There are a few stragglers but they're 22 caliber and I have no need to cast for those rifles.

I started making 300 BLK brass a week or two back. Ran into a roadblock when I realized I don't have a FL sizer. I bought a neck sizing die because they will be shot in a bolt gun. Hopefully I get around to buying a die this week.

dragonrider
01-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Since I retired last September I have spent more time in the R-room than I have in the last 5 years. I have even been to the range a few times and am going tomorrow. Working on a load for my 03 using the RCBS 30-165 sil and SR4759 and I am setting up my Dillon 650 to load 380's, just got the dies and such a couple of weeks ago.

Doggonekid
01-24-2015, 12:18 AM
Got a new RCBS pro melt pot for Christmas and when ever I get a chance I cast for .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 mag, .460 mag, .475 linebaugh, 40 sw and 45 acp. I have almost filled 7 ammo cans. My lead stash has dropped by half. Now I am powder coating some of these bullets. Just starting my own research on what works for me and what doesn't. Casting bullets: it's the journey and not the final destination that counts.

oliversasha
02-24-2015, 09:11 PM
Loading for my 2 favorite semiautos----Winchester Model 1907 351 and Remington Model 81---spring thumper

Harter66
02-24-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm glad this 1 came back up .

I'm working on a 264 WM and paper patch.

tdoyka
03-02-2015, 02:34 AM
right before my grandpap died, he gave me his 1898 springfield armory 30-40 krag. its been sporterized, mainly the stock and the flip up peep sight and the cut down 22" barrel. i decided that it would be a good time to start loading cast boolits. i don't make my own yet, but i will. i slugged the barrel and got .3095". i looked around and found 165gr ranch dog at .311" ( http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/Ranch_Dog_Outdoors.html ). i also found a .430" 265gr ranch dog for my tc encore in 444 marlin. i bought 400 pieces and i am starting to load. then for christmas, my oldest boy got me a handi-rifle in 45-70. well there goes another 200 boolits(.459") that are 405gr fbfn ( http://www.moyerscastbullets.com/rifle.html ). the weather hasn't been real good, but what the heck.

the 30-40 is keeping me up at night, it shows some real good progress at 50 yards. the 45-70 also shows some real progress with three shots that go 3/4" at 50 yards(open sights). i haven't taken out the 444 marlin because i still have 50 or so 200gr xtp's over a load of trail boss.

i got three irons in the fire, so what do i do:rolleyes:? i bet i could find a 1903a3 or a enfield in 30-06 that can do cast boolits:bigsmyl2:.

i think i need help. i still use j-words with the 20 vartarg and 22-250ai and 6.5 creedmoor(all tc encores) and the 270 win(ruger #1).

does it ever stop?[smilie=1::wink: since i quit drinking, i'm stroke-abled, i would be glad to have a cup or two of coffee and discuss this!!!:happy dance:

Harter66
03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I have a 45 ACP I started working some ,a 38 S&W break top to fidget with,and a host of paper patch projects.
With the Nevada Get Together behind me I started on loads for the NCBS and topping off minimum reserves of the standards. I have a patched Colts ,264 WM, 06' and 7x57 to work out .

I've been casting in 100 lots for the above last weekend and expect the same this weekend

chicotrout
04-12-2015, 01:10 PM
I am currently tooling up. I can't wait to start casting but I am just reading, learning, watching videos and receiving all of my tooling I should be able to start by next weekend.

WILCO
08-22-2015, 04:55 PM
http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/Lets-Bump.jpg

Pumpkinheaver
08-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Been casting a pile of .45s and 10MMs. I'm trying powder coating my cast bullets for the first time as well.

Scottyh
01-08-2016, 05:04 AM
I have been working on a load for a 45 colt lever gun.

mold maker
01-10-2016, 09:27 AM
I just finished de-priming, citric and cob cleaning, sizing, removing the mil primer crimp, and trimming over 3000 55.6 brass. My fingers are sore and my arm hurts, and there is chamfering and deburring yet to go.
Do you think those new ARs will appreciate the effort just to feed them?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-10-2016, 05:53 PM
I just finished casting a pot full.
some NOE 402-160RN for my buddy Joe
and some Lee 401-175-TC for my stock.

next up:
sorting several lbs of "new-to-me" 357 Mag cases that have been tumbled/polished...and sorting some that I've fired.

user55645
01-13-2016, 01:25 PM
I was given a 25# chunk of Pb.
I guess I need to turn the exhaust fan on and get to work.
Probably turn out 1k, 30cal heads for some subsonic shooting.

Sur-shot
08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
I started working with rifles and powder coated bullets in a 358 AR-15. A lot of fun working with that stuff. Got the 200 RCBS Plain Base bullets up to about 2,400 as a fire forming load and shooting .5 inches with 1680 which is pretty fair.

Neighbor at the farm told me yesterday that he has wild hog sign behind his house, so we might have some hogs to shoot with the 358.
Ed

WILCO
08-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Nice!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-04-2016, 11:11 PM
I visited the Range today. All my range visits in the last year or so, have had a purpose - more than just plinking. I miss the old times when I'd go to the range alone or with friends and to just plink. Today I was just plinking. I drove out there not knowing if the range would be open or not, as our club's agreements with two neighbor farms, is they can close the range if they are out in the corn fields. Farmers in MN are harvesting and plowing in full force this time of year, so the range being open is hit and miss. I got lucky today, as the range was open.

I brought out my cherished 5" P&R S&W 27-2 in polished nickel and some 357 Mag "lite" ammo (4.0 gr of Bullseye) I loaded long ago. It was loaded with some cast 358429 boolits that were part of a batch that I cast long ago...from my 8th casting session, Yes I kept track...and still keep track. They were cast with COWW and weighed a whompin 169gr. I sold that 4 cav Iron mold long ago, I probably should have kept it? After today's shootin, I just couldn't miss. I brought paper along, but it never got out of the carry case...as I brought some empty spraypaint cans..and proceeded to filled 'em full of holes...What fun. The only problem was, I only brought 100 rds of ammo. There was another hundred on the shelf, I wish I would have brought them also.

The_Hammer
12-13-2016, 10:03 PM
I've been researching my butt off trying to figure out which mold to go with for some subsonic 300blk plinking rounds that will be shot suppressed though my 8" AR15 SBR. I think I've finally found the winner with the NOE 311-198-SP 2 cavity PB (311365) 8-)

Harter66
12-13-2016, 11:36 PM
I've been a mould buying fool .
Cramer #45 (314-161 SP)
NOE copy of 454424 and an original
270-145 NOE , 500-340 HB Lee , NOE 454-250 , NOE 279-124.

I have a couple of 35s all in the last 3-4 months .

mold maker
12-14-2016, 11:09 AM
As soon as my fingers get feeling back, I'll sort another bucket of WWs that are waiting.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-29-2016, 02:08 AM
I have been working on a Saeco 411 mold...a steel mold that gets tinning?
anyway, I think I have that worked out...I hope.

After I de-tinned it, and applied a blue solution to those it...twice, I set out to casting with it this afternoon, and went to refill the pot with COWW ingots. I keep a 50 cal ammo can of COWW ingots in the casting room...it was empty. I recall the last time I filled it, I used the last of a batch I got from a member here. So I go to where my stash is piled, start going through boxes...and I find two MFRB's fill of ingots I don't recall ever buying from a member who sells here once in a while...if wasn't labeled as COWW, but had a note saying 97-.5-2.5 (the actual numbers went out to 3 digits past the decimal point) as was scanned by the seller...So I'm assuming it's COWW. All I know, it's like Christmas when two boxes of alloy appear, seemingly out of no where. :Fire: YEE-HAW

mold maker
01-02-2017, 08:50 AM
As soon as it warms a bit I have one more bucket of donated WWs to sort and If it stops raining there are 2 buckets of COWW already waiting for the melting.

jonp
01-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Wife took some old aluminum siding and other metal to the recycle and got $10 for it and brought back 30lbs worth of lead flashing scrap for $20. Not too many lose money going to the dump except casters I guess. I melted the scrap into nice shiny ingots on a rainy New Years.

GhostHawk
01-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Not that much, got some early inheritance back 3, 4 years ago that allowed me to get back into shooting. Mostly rifles, a couple of pistols. My biggest thing is no jacketed bullets allowed. If I shoot it I cast it. I do have about 950 jacketed 55 grain pills for the .223. "Just in case"

Same for shotgun, I wanted to be able to cast all my own, so a Lee 12 ga 7/8th's oz came to live, along with a 20 ga round ball mold. A few of the sharpshooter buckshot molds. And then I started dripping my own shot.

Not going anywhere very fast, don't expect to get there in style. But Image is nothing and function is everything. If it works, it works.

OeldeWolf
02-12-2017, 12:40 AM
I have reached a point in the house repairs/redecorating/rearranging that I have started on a new reloading bench. Yesterday, I cleaned up the cart I use for casting, and made room on the patio to work on things. At least the bench and the cart are casting or firearms related. :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Yesterday, I went looking for a RCBS 38 WC mold I thought I had in my stash, to offer another member, that I thought was "extra" to my needs.? I go look for it, I can't find it, I obviously have sold it.
Anyway,
While I was looking around, I find a minty Ideal 358432 4 cav WC mold. I don't know where this came from, I have no recollection of even buying this? I have kept real good notes of all the molds I've owned (and sold) in one paper notebook, and every casting session since I started casting in 2010, in another paper notebook. I couldn't find 358432 or Ideal WC or anything in either notebook (my early notes, while complete, weren't too specific). Due to no documentation, I'm thinking I've never cast with this 358432 mold before, so I guess I know which mold I'll be casting with next. The lead pot is heating as I type this. It's kind of like getting a new mold ?

WILCO
02-24-2017, 12:22 AM
How did it turn out Jon?

obssd1958
02-24-2017, 01:10 AM
How did it turn out Jon?

It went well enough, that he sold the mould!!

michael.birdsley
02-24-2017, 04:59 AM
Yesterday I put a sr9e in layaway at the LGS to go along with my sr9c. Anyhow, while there I had them order 1/2lbs cerrosafe and even with shipping came to 4 dollars cheaper than ordering online. I had to explain to them for 15 minutes what it was a first untill they brought out the brownells book. They thought i was trying to ordering a safe.

Today I went to the hardware and bought a propane torch, non acidic solder which contains 50% tin 50% lead, A metal funnel and Also bought metal toilet tube that I was able to bend ( fits in side the chamber of my savage 325c and losing). This metal tube and funnel will be slick set up hopefully. I'll heat up my cerrosafe pour it into the funnel down the tube and right into the chamber and throught hopefully, with out to much fuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harter66
02-24-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm getting a 45 Raptor running . I have to fix the in taper in a .265 push through die , I guess it had a pock that collapsed and then it leaded up the die . Fortunately it's pretty close to the mouth and not in the throat .

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2017, 12:43 PM
How did it turn out Jon?

It went well enough, that he sold the mould!!

I got reminded how heavy a 4 cavity iron is :shock: :oops: :violin:

and I have more 38 WC molds than I want.

dragon813gt
02-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Since it's 74 degrees out and I'm home early from work I decided to finish painting my third LAM1. It's been in my cold garage and I just pulled it out to paint it. It now looks like it has a crinkle finish :laugh:

Received an order of Carnauba Blue this week so I figured I'd finally finish up the refurb. Should have time tomorrow or later tonight to put it all back together and update the thread I started about it.