PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 457406 gc rn for use in lever action rifles

Buckshot Bowman
05-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Hello Lads,
I am looking at buying from a listing, the Lyman 457406 475 grain round nose gas check mould.
I see this has been dropped by Lyman some time ago and I am not finding the info I need on the infoweb.

Anyone here have experience or knows if this bullet is safe in Lever rifles with tube magazines? I looks like it might work as the nose is a wide round one, but thinking about the recoil involved in launching these punkins, makes me stop to think about the safety of such.
I am using two first year Miroku Browning 1886, built in 1986, and a Marlin 1895 Cowboy with Ballard rifling, A pedersolli Rolling Block, as well as a 1895 guide gun with cut rifling. Obviously I am a fan of this roundThe weight and the extra lube grooves make it look like a good bullet for target and hunting and the GC is a plus for the warmer loads.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Buckshot

Donald Bowman

BruceB
05-21-2014, 10:26 PM
The 406 bullet should do fine in a lever rifle. Probably the biggest concern will be the location of the crimp groove, and hence the resulting over-all length of the cartridge. In an '86, I think this is less a factor than in a Marlin. The Marlins are quite critical for over-all cartridge length.

The nose shape may be flattened somewhat just by using a flat-faced top punch in the lube-sizer, but the original nose profile should be safe without any alteration. Any flat-head 1/4" bolt (with the head filed smooth) will do for a "flat-faced top punch" in a Lyman or RCBS lube-sizer.

I do think I'd use the flat punch to alter the nose a bit, just to be certain.

NICE rifle! I'm shooting two single-shot .45-70s, but really "need" a nice lever gun. Oh well.... I can shoot NVCurmudgeon's new Henry, if it ever arrives.

Good luck with this, and keep us posted.