PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights today.

spurgon
01-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Made a trip to the salvage yard today and paid 25 cents a pound for wheel weights. I had to pick it out of a big box mixed in with soft lead. . Seemed like an ok price to me. Good to be putting some back while I get stuff read for my first melt.
spurgon

Blackhawk Convertable
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Good deal. Local yard here is paying around 30¢ per lb.

hammerhead357
01-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I think I would have purchased both the soft lead and the ww if money would have been there for it. At least a little of the soft lead so that you can cast soft nose bullets at a later time if you choose.....Wes

Winger Ed.
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
I'd have grabbed it all.
The price is right, and lead is getting a little harder to find as time goes on.

Half pure lead & 1/2 wheel weights will make a great 1,000-ish fps target bullet,
that's also 'user friendly' to cast.

mtgrs737
01-12-2008, 01:32 AM
My best supplier charges me 25 cent a pound and no matter how much I try to tell him that a bucket of WW's weighs at least a 100 pounds he still only charges me for 80 pounds. I get about a bucket a month there sometimes more. I sort through the weights and pick out the valve stems and he gives me the brass ones free. He does a lot of truck work and the last time I got 1 1/2 buckets of WW's and 1/4 bucket of brass valve stems. :-D

I hope the recycle guys don't find him!

:castmine:

Springfield
01-12-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm down to one tire store that still gives me wheelweights. About 50 lbs a month,free. Been throwing out the stems, guess I should save them.

Johnch
01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
All the local tire shops recyle their WW thru a single guy that works for a supplyer
I have 1 owner that "loses " a 5 gallon bucket or 2 every month , but he likes the Scotch I trade him

I am working on a deal to buy 5+ ton of WW , a bunch of Lino ingots and some cable sheath
But till we work out the details , I have to rely on Range lead from a indoor pistol range and my home bullet trap

Get while you can at that price

John

Crosshair
01-16-2008, 03:10 AM
I have a few places that give me WW for cheap/free. Most however just sell to the scrap yard. One wants $.35 per pound, quoting what the local scrap yard pays. I need to call the scrap yard and see what price they will sell lead to me.

randyrat
01-16-2008, 08:13 AM
I noticed the scrap yard thats 60 mls away is advertising for WWs their paying $.35- .45 /lb one of my Tire shops told me about it and said they will still sell to me. Carefull PR work pays off. I have to step up the PR work to a new level to keep my supply. This calls for Christmas cards, donuts,ect... My lord advertising for WWs how low can they go. LOL I do need to step it up another notch.

Andy_P
01-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I advertise for WW, and with good success. Just use something free like "Kijiji".

MT Gianni
01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I have a few places that give me WW for cheap/free. Most however just sell to the scrap yard. One wants $.35 per pound, quoting what the local scrap yard pays. I need to call the scrap yard and see what price they will sell lead to me.

When they paid 10 cents a lb the price was 25 cents. Offer the store the same price plus you pick it up. Gianni