PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this mold design?

andym79
05-21-2014, 06:37 AM
Hi guys the mold design in this screen shot is one I am considering for my .375 Winchester Big Bore!

Whats do you think, good and bad points?

On a side note someone told me not to use Lyman 2 in bigger calibre rifles (only softer alloys), why?

44man
05-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Looks very good. Use the alloy that shoots best, only thing to consider is the need for a little expansion and I see no problem with air cooled WW's.

taco650
05-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Should be fine as long as it is sized to fit your bore correctly. Looks like its a little heavier than the stock 250gr J-words the factory ammo came with.

osteodoc08
05-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Looks like a classic big bore rounded flat nose. You should be good to go. It's not gas checked, but I dont know what your intended velocity will be, so I cant make a recommendation. I prefer non gas checked boolits when possible.

As far as Lyman #2, if shooting into game, the higher the antimony and tin, the more "fragile and brittle" it becomes. Softer lead will tend to mushroom and not fragment, which is more desireable. If shooting paper or rams/gongs, it doesnt matter.

As mentioned, fit is king. Make sure you have the proper sizing dies to size it appropriately. Looks like fun.

andym79
05-22-2014, 04:56 AM
I prefer non gas checked boolits when possible.

I hear you, I consider gas checks to be a waste of time and money for plinking, target shooting a scrub shooting! I tend only to use them if I want to reach out further a drive the lead 1700-1900FPS.

You can take a lot of animals with a slow big slug (45-70 or the old buffalo 50 CALs), no need for a 170-250GN lightning fast bullet!

As far as Lyman #2, if shooting into game, the higher the antimony and tin, the more "fragile and brittle" it becomes. Softer lead will tend to mushroom and not fragment, which is more desireable. If shooting paper or rams/gongs, it doesnt matter.

Perhaps I miss understood him and he just meant for hunting! I tend to cast between 12-16BHN!

taco650
05-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Have you made a decision?

andym79
05-29-2014, 03:23 AM
I have talked with Swede, I would like this design in a four cavity mould! But I need to get another 14 on board, if I can't, I will have to get it in a 2 cavity!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Group-Buy-Discussion