PDA

View Full Version : mold alignment

calsite
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I've recently purchased a Lee .430 Tumble lube mould, Her maiden voyage she seemed to work fine, casted about 100 keepers. After getting a little more feed back from ya-all, I increased my temperature another 50 degrees. After throwing about fifty boolits I noticed that there was some leak out leaving some gates on both the bottom and sides of my boolits. I looked at the mold ad noticed that it seemed that the two sides weren't aligning vertically, approx 1/16th of an inch. (?????) The mold hasn't been touched since the last time I used it, been stored in the box, I did tap in the mould handle retaining pins on one side the pin seemed to go in quite abit, maybe that was it?? I'm assuming that the pins should be tapped all the way in ?? What ya-all think? Should I keep messing with it or send her back to Lee?

dubber123
01-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm assuming you have a 2 cavity. The alignment system on those is suspect at best, right from the box. Keeping the pins lubed well, and closing them VERY carefully, will keep one working for a long time though. The best trick I learned from here, is gettin a flat surface of some kind, and laying the bottom of the mould on it as your close the halves together. Its really pretty quick, and really helps. I have a couple 2 cavity Lees that have cast many thousands, and still align well. Being gentle is the big thing. A few quick slams shut, and it's all over.

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 04:12 AM
...............I don't know what aluminum alloy Lee uses for their moulds but when it gets hot it gets kind of sticky. Hense their strident recommendations that it be lubed. Horizontal alignment is handled by the large 'V's. Vertical alignment is handled by one or 2 roller bearings depending upon if it's a 1 or 2 cavity. Problem here is steel against aluminum.

You'll note also that while total surface area of the roller bearings is probably as great as the more common pin and hole. What's bad is the rather fragile sharp aluminum edges of the mating relief. These will not stand much banging together before the steel pin(s) can have it messed up.

...............Buckshot

calsite
01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm assuming you have a 2 cavity. The alignment system on those is suspect at best, right from the box. Keeping the pins lubed well, and closing them VERY carefully, will keep one working for a long time though. The best trick I learned from here, is gettin a flat surface of some kind, and laying the bottom of the mould on it as your close the halves together. Its really pretty quick, and really helps. I have a couple 2 cavity Lees that have cast many thousands, and still align well. Being gentle is the big thing. A few quick slams shut, and it's all over.
The only banging this mols has seen has been hore like tapping with a wood mallet to cut sprue's. I will Dbl. Ck,my alignment pins and grooves to amke sure that they're clean and lubed. If I get the same results nex time I cast the mould will go back to Lee. Thanks for your thoughts guys........

calsite
01-12-2008, 09:13 PM
The only banging this mols has seen has been hore like tapping with a wood mallet to cut sprue's. I will Dbl. Ck,my alignment pins and grooves to amke sure that they're clean and lubed. If I get the same results nex time I cast the mould will go back to Lee. Thanks for your thoughts guys........
Jez's, I either need to get a new keyboard or do a better job of proof-reading my replies before I send them. Sorry!

MtGun44
01-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Lube the alignment points with Bullplate lube, keeps the alignment working with
less force and less wear.

Bill

hotwheelz
01-13-2008, 02:33 AM
If your pins on the 2-cavity molds are loose I ran into that last weekend and here is how i fixed them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23983