PDA

View Full Version : Ground mole???

oldred
05-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I will probably get laughed at over this one but that's ok!

One of my cats brought me another "gift" today, another of a constant stream of mice, frogs, moles and occasionally even a snake but this time it was another ground mole. When I went to dispose of the thing (after the cat left of course) I noticed something really strange (to me anyway), but maybe it's common? This was definitely a mole, all the normal features of a mole except this thing had a very long tail exactly like a mouse but this definitely was not a mouse. Do some kinds of moles have a long tail such as that? I asked Mr Google about it before posting this but drew a blank, the search brought up tons of info and pictures of moles but not a thing about some have a long tail like that.

I guess it just doesn't take much to get me curious about something, if this is just a normal and common ground mole then the jabs and poking fun can start now, I have tough skin!

montana_charlie
05-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Maybe the tail got lengthened when your cat used it to pull the mole out of it's burrow ...

nagantguy
05-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Glad I'm not the only one killed a mole in the orchard last fall it had a tail, and was larger then most moles I've killed here but a mole.

DougGuy
05-20-2014, 10:04 PM
I got a two for one kill today. We have voles here. And moles. The voles look like a short tailed mouse, they use mole runs and tunnels. Moles eat grubs and worms, voles eat roots of plants, and lately they been getting in my strawberry bed, eating the strawberries. They have holes every few feet, air holes, and they will come above ground and feed sometimes, so today I am looking at some real fresh holes and tunnels in the strawberries (this really pisses me off to see this too!) and there are some half eaten berries. I go to water the strawberries, and sure enough here comes a female with a youngun hanging on her nursing, and she's dragging him around with her I guess, but she came out of the tunnel and I smacked her with the hose and got them both. Biatches! Eat MY strawberries!

nagantguy
05-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Nice going tex two fer one is what I like.

blademasterii
05-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Next time use the .45 lc with a swc and a few grains of red dot. Low noise, low recoil, and free fertilizer pre spread.

DLCTEX
05-21-2014, 10:00 AM
There are many varieties of moles and some are strange looking critters. I have taken to gardening in containers above ground as much as possible due to moles, gophers, and other critters that surround my country home.

DougGuy
05-21-2014, 10:37 AM
We grow in raised beds due to the ground here being red clay. I didn't think there would be such a problem with them and now I am kicking myself in the backside for not laying down some stainless expanded metal when I built the beds. I could still put some in there if I dug the beds out deep enough. Since they are wooden beds, I think I will just wait until they decompose and when I have to rebuild them, yeah I am going to go get some sheets of it and put them down first.

bangerjim
05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Can you say "molerat"? Not to be confused with "mall rat"!

bangerjim

Dale in Louisiana
05-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Next time use the .45 lc with a swc and a few grains of red dot. Low noise, low recoil, and free fertilizer pre spread.

I'd go with full-load hollowpoints. You don't want a wounded one. They charge!

dale in Louisiana

dbosman
05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Moles are why I got started loading 12 ga buck shot.
Dad would come home from work, change into leisure clothes, sit in a folding lawn chair and cool his throat with a couple of cold beers. He kept one foot on the mole run. Every other day, Boom. One less mole.

oldred
05-21-2014, 09:08 PM
I really regret not taking a picture of that thing but I had already tossed it "over the fence" by the time I thought about it. Since posting this I Goggled it under every search I could think of and apparently it is a rare critter for sure! I have found, as DLCTEX so correctly put it, "There are many varieties of moles and some are strange looking critters", strange indeed describes some of them but none had that tail. This was definitely a mole, no doubt about that, but it's tail looked exactly like what would be found on a field mouse.

dbosman
05-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Do a Google search for long tail mole
Let us know if that's the critter.

texassako
05-21-2014, 09:49 PM
I did not know a vole tunneled. Learn something new every day. I looked it up, and sure enough there was an article on telling the difference between voles and moles. People always told me they were field mice and look like a big mouse when grown; so I figured they just lived in dense vegetation or something else's hole. They make good pellet targets under our bird feeder.

oldred
05-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Do a Google search for long tail mole
Let us know if that's the critter.

Lol, I said I searched on every term I could think of but that particular string, "long tailed mole" never occurred to me even though it's probably the most sensible one I could have used! Oh well better late than never I guess but those moles still have a tail much shorter than this one did, it's tail was longer than it's body like you would expect to find on a mouse.

Gads, some of those things are UGGGGGLLLLYYYYY!!!!

CraigOK
05-21-2014, 10:40 PM
possum mole?

Dale in Louisiana
05-21-2014, 11:05 PM
If the fur has a greenish tinge, it's the rare guaca mole.

dale in Louisiana

Col4570
05-22-2014, 02:23 AM
Check its Molecular structure.

oldred
05-22-2014, 07:21 PM
When I posted this I fully expected to be ribbed for not knowing about a common animal but apparently it's not common at all and it was probably just a deformity, strange looking critter anyway.

Blacksmith
05-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Now for a really esoteric comment (let me know if you get it):

Got Mole problems? Call 6.022 141 99 X 1023

376Steyr
05-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Now for a really esoteric comment (let me know if you get it):

Got Mole problems? Call 6.022 141 99 X 1023

I called that number last week, but Avogadro wasn't in.

Blacksmith
05-24-2014, 01:18 AM
:goodpost: