PDA

View Full Version : New Winchester 92

woodbutcher
05-20-2014, 04:48 PM
:?:Hi all.Just read an article about Winchester coming out with the 92 in 45 Colt.How do you guys and gals think that this will work out?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

DeanWinchester
05-20-2014, 04:54 PM
It'll probably be Japanese made. If you can get past the location of manufacture, I imagine they will be fine rifles. Some cannot get over Japs making such things but they are VERY good at it. Howa is Japanese and they are very well made.

smkummer
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
The only reason I don't own my ex-Browning B92 is because of the country of origin. It was very well made and had a slicker action than the Marlin 1894. Its also the only reason I don't have the new Winchester 1873. Kind of like buying a Harley Davidson made in Japan. some things are just not right.

DeanWinchester
05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
:groner:

Well, I hear tale Harley is leaving Wisconsin and moving to Vietnam. They'll be renamed........Charley Davidson.

pietro
05-20-2014, 07:22 PM
:?:Hi all.Just read an article about Winchester coming out with the 92 in 45 Colt.How do you guys and gals think that this will work out?
Leo

IMO, pretty good - Since Rossi's been making Model 92's in .45 Colt for about 35 years or so............ :guntootsmiley:

Old School Big Bore
05-20-2014, 07:26 PM
I was just surfing Lipsey's and it looks like the japchester 92s are all going to have big loop levers...I'd get one of the .357s to go with my .44 B92 but that stupid loop is juuuuuuuust not for me. I don't have streamers or playing cards on my bike, nor curb feelers/fuzzy dice on my car, and I don't want saddle rings & thongs nor big loops on my leverguns, thanks very much...

pietro
05-20-2014, 07:37 PM

FWIW, Model 92 levers are readily interchangeable w/o fitting - How I ditched the Big Loop that my M92 as issued with.

Tatume
05-20-2014, 07:58 PM
I was just surfing Lipsey's and it looks like the 92s are all going to have big loop levers.

The Winchester website has listed two variants of the Model 92 for quite some time, and both are available in 45 Colt. Only one has the big loop.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=022C

Kansas Ed
05-20-2014, 09:38 PM
The quality of the Japchesters are excellent. Miroku has been making them at least since the 80's starting with the Browning recreations of the Winchester's. I have 4 of the Browning models. None of them are found lacking. The only problem I have with the Winchester version recreations is the lawyered up safeties. If you are ok with that you'll be happy with the rifles.

Ed

snaketail
05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
I get pretty tired of hearing about "Jap ****". I have a fine Browning shotgun - made in Japan - wins Trap matches. I have a very nice Browning BL22 - made in Japan - wins lever action matches. I also have a .45 Colt rifle made in Brazil - it wins too.

I have a GM car - made in the US - being recalled for safety issues.

Its time to rethink our values.

DeanWinchester
05-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Well said Snaketail.
The Japanese make very high quality products. I used to think ford hung the moon till I bought a toyota. Then I found out how great they are. Funny thing too, although my particular toyota is all made in japan, all the camry and trucks are made in the USA. Lol

The Japanese work ethic is what we USED to have here. They make incredibly good products.

Maximumbob54
05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
All the Japanese/Miroku made guns I've ever seen were so well made that I've wondered if they beat the employees if QA finds anything. The Brownings and Winchesters I've seen are as good if not better guns than I've seen from Belgium or the US. It's sad a little but I keep hoping our own companies will try to meet or beat them. But I don't see that in the latest Remlin I bought a while back. That's been an ouch since the day I bought it.

woodbutcher
05-21-2014, 10:51 AM
:smile:Hi all.Thanks for the replies.Reason for the question was an article in the new "Shooting Times(R)".The way that the article was written,it made this Winny sound like a new or fairly recent caliber
in the 92.
And to the op who said they probably beat them if QC finds a problem.From what several friends who worked or were stationed in Japan said,that ain`t too far from the truth.And I don`t mean decades ago.I mean in the last 8 to 10 years,right up to about 18 months ago.
Leo

357shooter
05-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Woodbutcher: To your original question - 45 Colt lever rifles have been around quite some time, from multiple manufacturers. They have been successful and are a great idea, especially for shooters that own a 45 Colt revolver. Most (if not all) are modern and can take the Ruger only pressures, which turns them into a whole other category of firearm.

guicksylver
05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
I will probably start a fire storm here BUT, from my experience with 45 Colt in any rifle, I think one would be better off with a 44 mag.
The 45 Colt is a poor performer, accuracy wise in rifles.
The interchangeability thing is great but accuracy suffers.
As for the manufacturing, I have three Winchester ( read Browning) Grade 5,Model 12's,actually two 12's and a 42.
I use them for skeet and have found them to be far superior to the originals in finish and function.
No there is nothing like an original, but I can use these with out any pangs of guilt.

OverMax
05-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Anytime a new rifle is marketed. That's a plus period for the shooting public I think.
A 92 in 45 colt. I can't think of a nicer rifle to chamber that cartridge in. Overall for me the 45 Colt is still the King of the Hill when it comes in a handy small receiver lever rifle. (a little off topic>) I wish Ruger would have thought about chambering their model 96 in 45 Colt or better yet 30-30 even. Look what happened instead> (discontinuance)
Thanks for the update Leo.

Tatume
05-21-2014, 01:53 PM
I get pretty tired of hearing about "Jap ****". I have a fine Browning shotgun - made in Japan - wins Trap matches. I have a very nice Browning BL22 - made in Japan - wins lever action matches.

Please note that I deleted the offensive word when I quoted someone above. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread asking how many people think it is racist.

Harter66
05-21-2014, 02:09 PM
My Ross-chester 92 in Colts is ok . It'll be better w/fire formed brass I think, the chamber is sloppy. You don't seem to get much of a gun for $500 anymore.

357shooter
05-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Please note that I deleted the offensive word when I quoted someone above. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread asking how many people think it is racist.
Read in context it's not racist in any way. IMHO

Sorry for being off topic.

Tatume
05-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Read in context it's not racist in any way. IMHO

My father was a veteran of WWII who fought the Japanese in the Pacific Theater. After the war he frequently used terms like “Jap” and “Chink,” and I know he meant them to be racist.

Dad was a good man. I understood him, and never faulted him; it was war, after all. Eventually he got over it. But the war ended almost 70 years ago, Dad has passed away, and most of us here are too young to have been there.

The term “Japchester” makes me uncomfortable.

azrednek
05-21-2014, 04:37 PM
My father was a veteran of WWII who fought the Japanese in the Pacific Theater. After the war he frequently used terms like “Jap” and “Chink,” and I know he meant them to be racist.

Dad was a good man. I understood him, and never faulted him; it was war, after all. Eventually he got over it. But the war ended almost 70 years ago, Dad has passed away, and most of us here are too young to have been there.

The term “Japchester” makes me uncomfortable.

I worked several years with a legally immigrated guy from Japan. He did not consider "Jap" racist but didn't care for "Nip". He often used the word Jap himself as an adjective talking about cars or food.

He was however a good natured guy that a got a good laugh when he would get gifts such as Godzilla videos or 8X10 pictures of McArthur on Pearl Harbor Day. Him and I got along fairly well even after him and his wife participated in the Million Mom March. He tried just one time to convert me to his side then never brought it up again.

357shooter
05-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Text deleted. I cannot see how to delete this post. Sorry for the noise.

Harter66
05-21-2014, 07:57 PM
My grandfather was civil service based at Pearl the morning the those northern pacific islanders arrived in their armed aircraft. My great grandfather served artillery in France WWI . My Dads brother served in Korea. My son went to Iraq and Afganistan. There's more family all the way to the Revolution.

I find it offensive that so many people are so easily offended by rather generic abreviated,hyphenated names for our favorite tools. I fail to see how the 92' reference is any different than calling it a Yugo/Turk/Check/-Mauser .

I have not seen the accuracy issues mentioned w/in the intended use ranges ,although the 452-252 SWC does seem to start to tumble beyond 50yd. Although it was good enough for 40 pace hogs. I will be trying other boolits of course to see if its a boolit or rifle issue.

Tatume
05-21-2014, 07:58 PM
I really don't mean to cause anybody grief, and am not accusing anyone of anything. I just don't care for the word, and won't say anything else if you wish to continue using it.

Sincerely, Tom

azrednek
05-21-2014, 08:50 PM
My apologies for the rant and jumping off track. I deleted the post.

woodbutcher
05-21-2014, 11:23 PM
[smilie=b:Guys.You don`t even want to know what two of my cousins and several family friends called the Japanese after coming home from serving in the Pacific from Start to finish.
if I used the terms that they used we all would be shut down.
Thanks to all who have posted to this thread.
Leo

salvadore
05-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Would the charley davidsons be assembled by viet men?