PDA

View Full Version : Air Arms TX 200

Chill Wills
05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Hello All,
A friend just loaned me his TX-200 cal .177 rifle to take care of some yard pests. He he had not used it for about 8-10 years.
The supplied pellets had come from who knows where. They were a good RWS 177 pellets but not the ones he said worked so well when he was using it daily.
The rifle is equipped with a higher end scope. I gave the rifle a good cleaning and set up a 20y target and shot from rest to see where the sights were and what kind of groups could be expected.

The rifle shot a few 1.5-2.5" groups @ 25 yards and was not looking to good for pest control. I located the factory test target supplied with the paperwork the rifle came with. It was a Nice little group at 10 yards and the pellet was Beeman FTS. Hmmmm....

After calling the USA Pyramid service center and receiving some good advice I ordered a spring and seal kit which included the two types of proper lube, and a supply of Beeman FTS pellets.

They arrived after a week of not shooting and so I decided to make a baseline chronograph and accuracy test and then retest after I did the maintenance. Much to my surprise the RWS pellet grouped for the first four shots (sort of) and then went south but the chronograph numbers were very good. At least I think they are, never having tested an air rifle before. The 13 shot string of RWS pellets went 830 FPS average velocity, extreme spread was 15 FPS and 5 for the standard deviation. I then shot the new to me Beeman FTS pellet and after two wild shots I produced a 7 shot group that fit in 3/8 inch! Wow! I am thinking 'this is better!' Even tho the chronograph numbers were not all that good comparing the RWS pellet. The Beeman FTS numbers for only seven shots recorded were 804 FPS av velocity, 33 ES and 10 SD.

I have not put the kit in yet nor have a taken it apart to even clean and apply fresh lube....... which I will regardless. Is this about where this rifle should perform?

Thanks for any help, As you may guess, I am not an experienced air rifle rifleman :-P but liking it! -Chill Wills

HARRYMPOPE
05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
My TX .177 would do 1/2" at 50 yards with JSB 8.44 Exacts quite often.Most will do this.I sold it to buy another in 22 and the deal fell through on the 22 after i sold the .177!!.I am going to buy another for sure.Of all guns,centerfire,rimfire,shotguns and muzzleloaders,the TX ranks to me as one of the best guns ever.

MT Chambers
05-21-2014, 11:12 PM
The TX is prolly the finest spring piston rifle ever made, even though I am a PCP owner and will never own a springer.

HARRYMPOPE
05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
The TX is prolly the finest spring piston rifle ever made, even though I am a PCP owner and will never own a springer.

That's like shooting inline muzzleloaders and not wanting to master a flintlock.Sure pneumatics are easier to shoot but a Springer does it with bit more class.kidding aside I shot a .25 Maurader last week and was pretty impressed.I just can't get away from springers and only needing a tin of pellets for a fun afternoon and not having to have to worry about tanks or pumps.

MT Chambers
05-23-2014, 12:11 AM
My approach is different, why buy a gun that has pistons, and springs moving, before the pellet is out of the barrel? To me this is the same as a rifle firing from an open bolt, again it is a great accuracy killer! In some cases, you have to pay big bucks to have all that going on before the pellet leaves the barrel!

cal50
05-23-2014, 02:41 AM
My TX-200 is a tack driver and I can easily get 1/2" 50 yard groups. I made a head shot on a pesky skunk at a tad over 40 yards and it never moved, twitched or sprayed.
I use the Crosman Premier pellets. Its a stock gun with a BSA 3 X 12 scope. I know the rage is the PCP guns but I like the simplicity and quiet springer's.

If I had this gun as a kid Ohio would not have any birds in the state.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w560/jkh62/NCM_0030_zpsbznumjwv.jpg (http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/jkh62/media/NCM_0030_zpsbznumjwv.jpg.html)