PDA

View Full Version : Soup Can 30-30's at the range

Swamprat1052
01-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm still learning but having fun. I finally got to the range with my old Model 94 and those Lee Soupcan boolets. I had better luck than the first time. I sized em .310 this time instead of .309. Dont know if it helped or I shot a little better. I havent gotten to where I would like to be with accuracy but my best load was with 15 gr. of Win 296 powder. Shot a couple of honest 1 1/2" groups with it at 50 yds, and twice put 2 shots almost touching each other. Time will tell if this was an accident or not. I dont see the target as well as I once did. Still havent ordered a peep sight but I'll get around to it.

I tried loads with 2400 and they shot good enough to try bumping the speed up a little and playing with. The same withn H-335. W-748 (what I was hoping for cause I've got a lot of it) was a disaster, shots all over the place. Hope it works on heavier boolits. I didn't chronograph anything this time but according to the books all the loads were around 1700 to 1850 fps. I can get faster but dont know what that will do to accuracy, time will tell.

I used Speed Green lube and it seemed to do the job really well. My most accurate shooting was done at the end, so it didnt seem to be leading and I didnt find any when I cleaned the rifle. Its kinda messy running those little boolits through the Star but I finally closed off all the holes in the die except one for each goove and that helped. I lubed all the grooves, even the one I crimped in and in front of the gas check (should I do this?). Dont know if it helped or not. Thought I might quit lubing the one I crimp in (had a brain fart when I did that one, didnt catch it till I was seating them.)

All in all it was a good day. Fun rifle and fun loads. If I can bump up my speed it would be better but I can live with it. Had fun busting dirt clods on the hill behind the berms, surprised myself a few times doing that. Loads seem to be holding up pretty well out to 75 to 100 yds. That surprised me too at those velocities. I think I am gonna like this.

Swamprat

felix
01-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I lube all grooves, crimp type or not, and adjust lube/boolit/powder/primer accordingly. If you have the long term accuracy you desire, it makes zero difference how you get there. ... felix

Will
01-12-2008, 08:22 AM
In my 94 with the soupcan I use 16gr 2400 and get about 1800fps

Bret4207
01-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Do you get better accuracy with jacketed? I just wonder if the muzzle may be worn or you have some copper fouling. FWIW I haven't got stellar accuracy with my '94. I think these take a bit or work. I found my Savage 99's much easier, but have no idea why. Weird, huh?

Buckshot
01-13-2008, 03:09 AM
.............You're using 15.0 grs of W296 in the 30-30 case? You have a chrono? What kind of stats are you getting? If it were me and I was after light loads with the Soup Can in the 30-30 I'd sure use a faster easier to ignite powder then W296. It's pretty heavily coated with deterant.

Try 8.0grs Red Dot or 10.0grs of Unique. For peppier loads go to 2400, SR4759, 4227 or 4198. Leverguns are odd creatures and getting the best out of them is sometimes a real headache. I had a M94 in 30-30 and I could never get that thing to shoot, so I sent it on down the road. I don't know how it did with jacketed, but if it won't shoot cast I don't need it.

On the other hand I've had 3 Marlin 1893's that shot anything and everything I put into them. Two were 30-30's and one was a 38-55. My shooting buddy Ron has a M94 in 30-30 and with that boolit and 21.0grs of H4198 he was shooting 1.5" groups or better at 100 yards and they were going 2100 fps. The rifle had a Leupold 3x9 on it. When he showed me the targets I thought they were at 50 yds. When I found out they were at 100 yards and going that fast I was speechless.

...............Buckshot

mroliver77
01-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Buckshot,
Your buddy must have hypnotised you. We all know that leverguns are inheritly inaccurate. ;)
J

Swamprat1052
01-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Buckshot, I intend to try some Unique but I didnt have any on the shelf. I found that W296 load in the RCBS Manual and tried it. I am gonna try 2400 again a little hotter and see what that does. I was trying to use something I had first. Someone gave me the 296 powder and I havent ever used any till now.

This old rifle used to do pretty good with jacketed. I guess I'll find out how it does with cast.

Thanks for the tips.

Swamprat

35remington
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I'd vote for around 6 grains of W231, Red Dot, 700X, Green Dot or similar. For what I use the Soupcan for I've found that these give a quieter report and all the accuracy and velocity needed for up to 100 yard shooting.

The slower powders - 2400, 4227, 4198 etc. give fine accuracy as well at the higher velocities but give noticeably increased muzzle blast and damage to small edible critters, and jack up the per round cost. But they work fine on called in predators without damaging the hides if the bullet is cast fairly hard.

You'll have to decide what you want to use 'em for, and load accordingly, but that's the fun part.

I really like that bullet.